Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

After having seen those renderings, I have completely changed my mind. I dot like this building at all. I thought that the glass atrium would have been much larger, and had a greater impact than these pics indicate. I am not a fan of the concrete panel walls and lack of windows in the main building.

The wormy walkways arent even wormy according to these pics. They are 2 straight elevated walkways. The bean is cool, the stairs beside the bean work well, but the rest of it is craptastic.

I eat my words.

Looking at the renderings you can easily see why this building is so disappointing. The "Stage" or whatever its supposed to be looks like it was an afterthought. You can see that he had his original design and just added bits here and there to try and appease the design review panel or any other sucker who might object to the design.

There seems to be no overall vision for this site at all. You'd think for the proposed stage area, they would somehow create some sort of amphitheatre or seating area which could be used for performances. There seems like there has been no attention given to how the building uses the site.

Showed one of my former fellow Corus employees the images of the redesign and this is what she had to say.

"the decrepit malt building looks more interesting"

She also said something like the Tate Modern's extension would be a better fit. I think she's on to something.

Tate2_01a.jpg

Dull?

Well, if you wanna go beyond even the Tate Modern extension (and appropriate for a centre of broadcasting, yet)
12913_image_1.150.jpg

Both fine examples of architecture, that would work well on the waterfront- especially the CCTV building- large, yet window-like. How about this from Zaha Hadid:

1090_3_1000%20Zaha%20Opus%203.jpg

1090_4_1000%20Zaha%20Opus%204.jpg

-Conservative office box, sliced open, its innerds removed and patched back up with an undulating shiny silk skin.

p5

^^No not yet, one day in the future- I have read that it is going to be constructed sometime soon-2008 in Dubai. She seems to be getting more and more commisions, but that is expected she is a fantastic architect and the work has been a long time coming.

p5

At leat the building has improved significantly. It went from bad to not bad... nothing too inspiring though. What is going to be interesting is how the Pier 27 project with the opposition to condos on that site will probably end up being a more attractive aspect of the waterfront than the city financed office space.

Well given the lack of city funding for the "cultural renaissance" as well, it is not very surprising...I wonder if Miller will turn up for the opening of this heap of shite?

I love the Tate extension, but just NOT for the Tate Modern back courtyard. If it were it's own building at another site, I would drool all over it. I just dont like it in that spot.

Back