Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

It seems premature that all the businesses are vacating this block since it will be a long time before any shovels are in the ground. The city should prevent developers from untimely evictions of independent businesses as it creates a blight to the street.

It seems premature that all the businesses are vacating this block since it will be a long time before any shovels are in the ground. The city should prevent developers from untimely evictions of independent businesses as it creates a blight to the street.
It is not only, or even largely evictions. It is a time of upheaval in retail with the pressure from e-commerce. What kinds of retail businesses can pay the rents that are being charged? One needs a great business model and huge traffic. Many shop-keepers are deciding for themselves that it is time to move on.

The Yonge line going south is usually packed full by the time it hits Davisville, and once it gets past Bloor it empties considerably. I don't think a tower south of College would have an adv

Agree completely. The south-east corner of Yonge and Gerrard, between the College and Dundas stations, should not be a problem for transit. The south-bound trains have emptied out quite a bit between the College and Dundas stations - the only time incremental load would be a problem on the subway would be going northbound during the evening rush hour. Ditto for both the Dundas and College / Carlton streetcars. Both lines empty out quite a bit at their Yonge Street stops, YSL residents wishing to get on the cars at that point should not have a problem.

From my perspective, the major 'transit' issue with this location would be the width and pedestrian capacity of the Yonge Street sidewalks.

Last edited:
The Yonge line going south is usually packed full by the time it hits Davisville, and once it gets past Bloor it empties considerably. I don't think a tower south of College would have an adv

Nope, still packed South of Bloor and it's also super packed going north until Bloor. I've lived at both Wellesley and College lines. Dreaded it.

I don't think transit can support these tall buildings along Yonge. Just my opinion coming from experience.

Bring on the Line 1 (yellow diamond) express line dug under line 1 and with stops only at Bloor, Queen, and Union south of Bloor. (Running express north of Bloor to St Clair, Eglinton, York Mills, Sheppard-Yonge, Finch, Steeles and Richmond Hill Centre.)

With growth like this, the 'relief' can't stop with a relief line.

Would be a dream.

Planning. Lets see how far that gets. Excuse me for having very low expectations for the "transit" that's coming. Not good enough and so far way IMO.
Your low expectations are fully justified. In fact, our municipal politics are becoming a main reason I'm thinking of leaving the city sooner rather than later. Sadly, I've had a feeling that since about the late-aughts Toronto just hasn't been working as a city. The transit politics in particular are utterly galling.

That being said, I'm not going so far as to resist densification along Yonge or elsewhere. But I do foresee problems nonetheless. I'd like to see this built, and maybe what Toronto needs is a kick in the ass after witnessing the serious problems that arise in ten years.

The unfortunate reality is that politicians in this City have always been reactionary, not proactive, and I can't imagine how that will ever change. If we were to halt densification until transit is built to accommodate it, then any sense of urgency would immediately dissipate causing neither transit nor towers to get built, thereby stunting the city's growth for who knows how many years or decades. Increasing densification to the point that it brings on a looming transit crisis is realistically the only way politicians will feel any urgency to actually push transit projects forward. Bring on the growth first and the rest will fall into place.

I find it interesting that this is only 98 stories. 1 Yonge St (Tower 1), as proposed, is 121ft shorter and 95 stories. Must be that architectural top, or just higher ceilings?

Correction: units!

Last edited:
Your low expectations are fully justified. In fact, our municipal politics are becoming a main reason I'm thinking of leaving the city sooner rather than later. Sadly, I've had a feeling that since about the late-aughts Toronto just hasn't been working as a city. The transit politics in particular are utterly galling.

That being said, I'm not going so far as to resist densification along Yonge or elsewhere. But I do foresee problems nonetheless. I'd like to see this built, and maybe what Toronto needs is a kick in the ass after witnessing the serious problems that arise in ten years.

The problems are here now. The kick in the ass is commuting now. I have employees in my office (young men) who can't be bothered to take three buses from Scarborough to East York and young women who find the crush loads on both Line 1 and Line 2 make them not want to take the subway at rush hour leading to frrequent lateness and constant looking for another job with a 'better commute'.

Just as the four years of Trump's presidency will be lost years in America, the four years of the Ford mayoralty were lost years. The mayor of Toronto and the Premier of the Province need to consider how to proceed very carefully or they are going to kill the golden goose.

The problems are here now. The kick in the ass is commuting now. I have employees in my office (young men) who can't be bothered to take three buses from Scarborough to East York and young women who find the crush loads on both Line 1 and Line 2 make them not want to take the subway at rush hour leading to frrequent lateness and constant looking for another job with a 'better commute'.

Just as the four years of Trump's presidency will be lost years in America, the four years of the Ford mayoralty were lost years. The mayor of Toronto and the Premier of the Province need to consider how to proceed very carefully or they are going to kill the golden goose.
I fully agree. If anything, I was just putting a different gloss on the same point. Put it this way: things suck right now, but we aren't getting done what needs to be done. So it seems things just need to suck incredibly badly for things to get done.

Wait for someone to fall in front of a train at Y/B during rush hour due to crowding. Tragic, but something like this will eventually happen and it'll be a catalyst.

I am not leaving. I love the city and I am giving my councillor, MPP and MP regular course corrections when required. We are on a first name basis. I am also waiting for some help from the federal government on city infrastructure.

Back