Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Thread title changed, dataBase file updated with high-res versions of the renderings, including several retail windows.

architectsAlliance are Architects of Record on this project, KPF acting as Design Architect.

As you can see from the thread title, YSL, it turns out, doesn't stand for Yves Saint-Laurent, but in this case instead it's Yonge Street Living. Based on each Casa phase being tied to a particular designer though, it wouldn't be surprising to hear that YSL were kitting out the lobby, etc.

Meanwhile, I think there's a good chance these guys are going to get their 343.9 m/1128 feet here.

Anyway, like I said, go check out the high-res renders in the dBase file.

I think the problem people have with your attitude is that you couldn't care less about how a building is designed as long as it is extremely tall, which is a really shallow outlook. Height is only a bonus (sometimes) when the architecture it is attached to is beautiful. For instance, I am saddened by the diminished height at The One (but only because it is a gorgeous proposal and the lowered height will somewhat lessen its striking presence). This design (which is hopefully preliminary) isn't very exciting, in my opinion. I only find the scale impressive. I don't think very many people here would be opposed to such height at this location, but a more compelling design is warranted, in my view.

What is wrong with low-rise buildings? Have you been to the Lower East Side of Manhattan or anywhere in Europe before? What good is height if a building looks bland (generally speaking)? Would Velocity at the Square suddenly become a good or great building if it was doubled in size? What do you even look for in a building besides height? Do you care at all about materials, execution, rhythm and balance, street presence, etc.? Height for the sake of height is silly. That's the way I thought when was a child, fascinated by skyscrapers.

So to sum up the reactions from the usual height zealots...if this proposal was at a more normal height, they'd probably be bemoaning how it's another blue glass tower in a city that has too much of them already. But make it 1000 ft tall and suddenly lets thump our chests and yell "bring it on". Lets mock anybody who might have some legitimate concerns about its possible impacts (infrastructure...pfft whatever). Lets not worry too much about architectural quality because oooooooh its really tall. Meanwhile right across the street is Aura which is a total dud despite its damn height, if anyone cares.

After watching Jennifer Keesmat on TVO a couple of weeks ago with others talking about the massive growth in the core of the city, this has no chance of this being built if Jennifer has her way.
She stated there is too much density being built along the Yonge St. corridor as is, and it has to stop until services and amenities are upgraded. How and when that ever happens is a big question.
This is years away and much smaller when the final iteration is approved.

After watching Jennifer Keesmat on TVO a couple of weeks ago with others talking about the massive growth in the core of the city, this has no chance of this being built if Jennifer has her way.
She stated there is too much density being built along the Yonge St. corridor as is, and it has to stop until services and amenities are upgraded. How and when that ever happens is a big question.

She's right though. Transit is horrific and we continue to put up these huge condos and put pressure on an already weakened transit system. I just don't understand the rationale of doing nothing with transit but continuing to put up these towers that house thousands of people.

This city likes to create problems. It's just bizarre.

And the PATH at Aura will have something to connect to...well, the PATH period will grow. It would have to include such an iconic design.

Last edited:
She's right though. Transit is horrific and we continue to put up these huge condos and put pressure on an already weakened transit system. I just don't understand the rationale of doing nothing with transit but continuing to put up these towers that house thousands of people.

There's plenty of progress on transit including a lot of money planning for the DRL.

Bring on the Line 1 (yellow diamond) express line dug under line 1 and with stops only at Bloor, Queen, and Union south of Bloor. (Running express north of Bloor to St Clair, Eglinton, York Mills, Sheppard-Yonge, Finch, Steeles and Richmond Hill Centre.)

With growth like this, the 'relief' can't stop with a relief line.

Last edited:

The Yonge line going south is usually packed full by the time it hits Davisville, and once it gets past Bloor it empties considerably. I don't think a tower south of College would have an adv

I agree, at least with the general sentiment. What we're really witnessing is an explosion in private sector economic activity in the city, but public sector activity isn't keeping pace. If we don't get our act together the quality of life in the city will worsen. The LRT on Queen's Quay E is a perfect example.

Back