Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

The unfortunate reality is that politicians in this City have always been reactionary, not proactive, and I can't imagine how that will ever change. If we were to halt densification until transit is built to accommodate it, then any sense of urgency would immediately dissipate causing neither transit nor towers to get built, thereby stunting the city's growth for who knows how many years or decades. Increasing densification to the point that it brings on a looming transit crisis is realistically the only way politicians will feel any urgency to actually push transit projects forward. Bring on the growth first and the rest will fall into place.

More practically, increasing the weight downtown voters in council through population increase is the only way to drive the transit agenda forward.

AoD

I am not leaving. I love the city and I am giving my councillor, MPP and MP regular course corrections when required. We are on a first name basis. I am also waiting for some help from the federal government on city infrastructure.
Good for you. I'm not sure I'll stay, but if I ever leave it won't be a decision made lightly. I also applaud that you reach out to your representatives. I do too, and that's a crucial part of being a citizen.

Good for you. I'm not sure I'll stay, but if I ever leave it won't be a decision made lightly. I also applaud that you reach out to your representatives. I do too, and that's a crucial part of being a citizen.

Other than Toronto, the only other place I could be happy in North America is Manhattan.

There was a missed opportunity with Aura to build a south entrance at College Station. Perhaps this project could be a catalyst for that. Yes, it's a bit beyond the south end of the station box, but an entrance at Yonge & Gerrard would be huge for the area. It would be the primary entrance for those in Aura, this project, and the redevelopment of the Chelsea Hotel site.

If the second entrance for Dundas goes in at Yonge & Gould, it would make that entire stretch of Yonge very easily subway accessible. Right now, if you're right in the middle of the two, it can still be a bit of a walk.

There was a missed opportunity with Aura to build a south entrance at College Station. Perhaps this project could be a catalyst for that. Yes, it's a bit beyond the south end of the station box, but an entrance at Yonge & Gerrard would be huge for the area. It would be the primary entrance for those in Aura, this project, and the redevelopment of the Chelsea Hotel site.

If the second entrance for Dundas goes in at Yonge & Gould, it would make that entire stretch of Yonge very easily subway accessible. Right now, if you're right in the middle of the two, it can still be a bit of a walk.
Hallelujah. Forethought.

Judging from the preliminaries it looks like it could be an elegant and imposing tower, and refreshing to a see a large project uncluttered with balconies. That said I didn't hate the older Quadrangle design and I actually quite liked their bridge component. I much preferred the street level design of the older project as well, this new one is much less interesting and doesn't seem to add much to the street-cape.

The problems are here now. The kick in the ass is commuting now. I have employees in my office (young men) who can't be bothered to take three buses from Scarborough to East York and young women who find the crush loads on both Line 1 and Line 2 make them not want to take the subway at rush hour leading to frrequent lateness and constant looking for another job with a 'better commute'.

Just as the four years of Trump's presidency will be lost years in America, the four years of the Ford mayoralty were lost years. The mayor of Toronto and the Premier of the Province need to consider how to proceed very carefully or they are going to kill the golden goose.

Every major city in the world has over crowded subways at rush hour. Take a subway in Manhattan at rush hour, and see the hell they have to deal with on a daily basis

I love this building! I hope they chop some floors off so it doesn't block the view of Aura. :p

Every major city in the world has over crowded subways at rush hour. Take a subway in Manhattan at rush hour, and see the hell they have to deal with on a daily basis

I love this building! I hope they chop some floors off so it doesn't block the view of Aura. :p
I hope they don't. I look at it from the east.

Supertall freaks would have an aneurism if it got negotiated down to 299 metres.

304m appears to be the new 299m ;) .

I find it interesting that this is only 98 stories. 1 Yonge St (Tower 1), as proposed, is 121m shorter and 95 stories. Must be that architectural top, or just higher ceilings?

A bit of both. Ceiling heights vary considerably, especially in residential buildings. For example, if built at 98 storeys, this would contain the most amount of floors in any residential building in North America (maybe even the Western Hemisphere). However, it falls short in total height when stacked up against a few of the super-tall residential buildings in New York City, which have lower total floor counts, but much, much higher ceilings (432 Park Avenue, Nordstrom Tower, 111 West 57th). That being said, even their total floor counts are unclear, as many include/exclude mechanical levels and combine duplex suites as single floors. It's very tricky, some of which is used for marketing purposes.
--
Great things to look forward to with this project if this is the direction this is headed! Rest assured, it looks like this is full-on curtainwall system, with little to no balconies as others have pointed out. The north-end of the podium mirrors the Ryerson Student Centre nicely.

Biggest gripe about the project is the name, for what is potentially Canada's tallest. It's terrible.

*EDIT: Koops65 on Skyscraperpage has already made a diagram for this for those interested: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=113131

I wouldn't hold my breath for that College Station entrance. The south end of the platforms is just north of McGill Street, where it's quite close to the surface. You would have to go under the subway tunnel to access the opposite side, and you'd have to dig under the sidewalks to connect YSL directly into the subway. The best bet here is to connect YSL under Gerrard (where, AFAIK, the tunnel is deep just enough again to cross over it) and connect into, yes, the PATH level of Aura. Chelsea Green would also connect into the Aura PATH, and if there's enough Section 37 cash left over from both projects, maybe, maybe they could then pay some of the cost to build the really expensive second exit from College Station (from the north end of AURA).

My wife and I will be moving back to Toronto this summer after thurteen plus years in Vancouver. Suddenly, things like effective transit solutions are a lot more important to us! Count me among the many who think a new north south line is an immediate must.

I tend to think new development will be an incentive to getting something done.

Honestly, I liked Kingsett's proposal much better.

But it was rejected, they sold the site, and we will get this instead. I wonder if that makes the people who rejected Kingsett's proposal happy.

Man, that rendering showing it rise above the city alongside Aura is quite the seller.

While I guess density concerns are fair, I think I am most worried about Yonge Street sidewalks. They really ought to be widened.

Back