Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I don't believe a word of that. DCN is crap. It's not going to be built without sales. We all know better than that, don't we?

I know, a 43 floor tower that is supposed to be completed in less than two years - without any sales. You'd think DCN might have figured someone would notice.

There's a slightly updated render on the Kirkor website: http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/proj-widmer.htm

It looks like the building's been simplified further. The western facade appears more clearly convex, the notches on the northwestern corner are gone, and the tower now has a little chapeau.

edit: image courtesy of Mongo

ScreenShot046.jpg

Still nothing special, but certainly an improvement on the odd mish-mash that came before it.

Most of of the elements remain in the design, albeit more marginally. For one, the diagonal 'cut' remains in the west balconies' profile, but now balconies extend across much more of the face: that does not strike me as The Cheapening™, since Daniels will actually have to build more balconies. One would assume that Daniels is responding to purchasers' desire more often than not to have a balcony. The notch in the north facade is still there too, but again, balconies now cover that face too, and it is less noticeable. I think those changes have cleaned up the design to a good degree, but it does beg the question as to why they still have those cut lines and notches, as they strike me as being barely noticeable now, and therefore with dubious bang for the buck now.

Overall, while I do not think those details add anything to the design, neither do they take anything away from it: there just isn't that strong a design statement here. I wish we still had the earlier concepts for this building to look at, which, while they were over the top, at least had a podium and tower that appeared as one, with curves predominating both. I don't hate this latest iteration, but neither does it add anything special to the city.

only LEED Silver in today's standard? That's very disappointing of Daniels ~ (why am I not suprised?)

Minto achieved LEED Silver years ago @ Quantum and Minto Spring ~

I didn't even pick up on that that was the same building. The roof is somewhat different, but it may be a night time versus day time rendering

Better choice of name. I don't see any Barcelona in it's design or concept.
The tower looks more generic and the podium lacks refinement and thought.

The building looks boring. Since they're so close to Pinnacle on Adelaide I would hope that they would do something architecturally to stand out from their competition.

Back