Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I've been told that Corned beef house is shutting down their operations here. I wonder if that affects the design of the building at all (as they can demolish the building now).

Any other news on this site?

Not a fan of mega towers on mega parcels but, it probably be best to shift this one alongside the two on the Pinnacle lands. Maybe as a pack they won't look so ridiculousy overshadowed and out of place. No qualms if the wholesaler's building at the southern end of the block disappeared though.

Excuse my ignorance, but do we know what the community performance space the developer is constructing consists of? Will it be a small stepped theatre space, or just open rooms which can be used for music festivals, recitals, small theatre productions, etc.?

I love the inclusion of that, regardless of the form it takes-- true mixed use. The podiums of condos belong to the public.

The drawing reads 'Artscape Entrance' for the performance space. That doesn't really answer your question but it gives us an idea of who and how it might be run.

From DCN, so take with a high concentration of sodium chloride:

http://www.dailycommercialnews.ca/c...370b3d7b9f25&projectid=9079552&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BUILDING Proj: 9079552-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
21-31 Widmer St, Adelaide St, M5V 2E8
$47,000,000 est
Start: November, 2010 Complete: June, 2012
Note: Working drawings are complete. Site work and excavation are expected to begin July, 2010. Structural construction is anticipated late Fall/early Winter, 2010. Sub trade tenders will be issued sequentially as needed. Further update November, 2010.
Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 44-storey condominium apartment building with 445 units. The project will include 14,000 sq ft of retail and amenity spaces at grade including 4,500 sq ft of leasehold space for the City of Toronto. The project will be certified in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building rating system.
Scope: 40,000 m²; 44 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 445 units; 1 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Public bldgs
First report Mon Apr 07, 2008. Last report Mon Dec 21, 2009.
This report Fri Apr 16, 2010.

Either DCN is wrong, or this thing's being built on spec.

I don't believe a word of that. DCN is crap. It's not going to be built without sales. We all know better than that, don't we?

There's a slightly updated render on the Kirkor website: http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/proj-widmer.htm

It looks like the building's been simplified further. The western facade appears more clearly convex, the notches on the northwestern corner are gone, and the tower now has a little chapeau.

edit: image courtesy of Mongo

ScreenShot046.jpg

Last edited:

Back