Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
In some ways I am a bit disappointed by this......the fact that GO thinks that, going forward, they need a bigger bus terminal at Union is a let down.

"GO Utopia" for me would be they implement their 15 minute electrified service on all their GO rail lines and they then dramatically reduce (if not eliminate) the need for GO buses to come to Union at all. Buses would radiate out from the various stops (particularly then end spots) along each line and extend the reach of the GO rail lines.

With all those buses feeding all those fast/frequent rail lines ....it is hard to imagine who in the GO service area would actually benefit from a bus that went all the way downtown......and you would think GO would, in the long run, need less bus bays as opposed to more.

This is disappointing. The park seems to be only a sliver of land, which is ridiculous. A section 37 demand should be that the park is as wide as the buildings, not a tiny strip. And the fact that the terminal will only be for GO prevents me from caring. We desperately need a new non-GO terminal. Plus, does it need to be entirely coated in glass? How about the slightest diversity in materials?

This is the Skypark as it's being called.

As Nelson Muntz said of Naked Lunch, "I can think of two things wrong with that name." It's less a park than a glorified walkway, and needs to be scaled up significantly.

Other than that, this looks really spectacular. Glad to see they're not molesting the Dominion building anymore.

Would it just be a GO terminal or would all intercity buses from the Toronto Bus Terminal be moved here as well?

No mention anywhere of the coach terminal, which no longer belongs at Bay and Dundas. I don't find this surprising; it seems impossible to make any rational transit decisions in this city.

Yeah, I took the 'intercity bus carriers' to refer to Greyhound etc.

The reduction in parkland is disappointing, but this will have a very significant impact on the street experience down there on Bay south of the tracks. I'm pretty excited about it--especially the relatively early start date.

What do you guys think are the chances of getting that 400 000 sq/f of office space leased out?

These are obviously preliminary renders, but is there any evidence of a direct link to the Gardiner from the terminal? I imagine it would greatly increase efficiency.

Can-Ar Coach operates from GO's Union Bus Terminal. The evening departures from the GO terminal are when it is at its least busy (only the 16 Hamilton QEW service operates outbound)

http://www.can-arcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HaliburtonLine.pdf (Toronto-Lindsay-Haliburton)

http://www.can-arcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PortElginLine.pdf (Toronto-Orangeville-Palmerston-Walkerton-Kincardine-Port Elgin)

That's at least one intercity bus carrier.

The carriers still using the Bay Street Terminal (still owned by the City of Toronto and operated by the TTC) are Greyhound, Ontario Northland, Coach Canada (Megabus to Niagara and Kingston-Montreal), and Megabus (US routes to New York and Washington).

Last edited:

Back