Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Earlier design:

14677549848_3c0151d480_o.jpg

Current design:

20140930_C3875_PHOTO_EN_6113_zps91a31283.jpg

It appears that the third, east tower had been deleted. Good news in my opinion, it leaves the volume of the Dominion building alone. Although the height of the north tower has definitely been reduced as well, to barely taller than the south tower (which appears to be unchanged in height).

Plus the deck had been vastly scaled back, with just a park now.

edit -- ninja'd

Last edited:
As the second phase of the project, there are no reasons why the height for the north tower can't be raised. The reduction in the track development is unfortunate - I am not sure how strong the connection between the two phases are now (presumably the link is now primarily underground/undertracks).

AoD

The area over the tracks has been significantly scaled back in terms of ambition. This is the Skypark as it's being called.

Skypark960.jpg

Attachments

• Skypark960.jpg
    Skypark960.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1,067
I wish they kept with the retail portion within this structure, but I'm sure the new retail at Union Station in the PATH will serve this area fine.

That was the first thing I noticed (reduction in park space). Dissapointed by that. Also noticed they show trees on the roof, hopefully that will be some sort of courtyard for the workers there to use.

Looks like there's path connection bridge to ACC as well.

How can they build that north tower, looks like half is cantilevered over the 2 northern rail tracks.

Last edited:
That was the first thing I noticed. Dissapointed by that. Also noticed they show trees on the roof, hopefully that will be some sort of courtyard for the workers there to use.

Except that as depicted it might end up like the park atop Sheraton Centre. Enclosure and other uses in the original proposal will create a space that will be well used. Not so sure about this version.

AoD

If you guys read the Fact Sheet PDF it states both towers are 48 floors and both 1.3 million square feet

Based on the renders it appears both will be around 800-830ft in height (240-255m).

Also it looks like the construction of these towers will only happen if they can lease them out. If they can find someone to take the lead role (around 400,000 sq ft) then construction on the first tower can begin as early as April-May next year. It looks like the new terminal is going ahead regardless. This will be a huge task IMO.

Last edited:
If you guys read the Fact Sheet PDF it states both towers are 48 floors and both 1.3 million square feet

Based on the renders it appears both will be around 800-830ft in height (240-255m).

I'll take it! This looks like an outstanding design that will definitely contribute positively to Toronto. I do regret the massive reduction in the decking structure over the tracks, though.

Last edited:
Any idea how much money changed hands?

I understand that ML sold 141 Bay (where the current Bus terminal is ) to Ivanhoe and is going to lease the space in the new building for the new bus terminal. So, aside from getting a new terminal, did ML just get an infusion of some cash?

I'm very skeptical of their timelines. Where is the current GO Bus station going to move during construction? presumably to the parking lot at 45 Bay (future phase 2). They intend to start construction in Spring 2015, meaning they will move the Bus station around that time. Well, what about the Pan Am games? Do we want visitors to our city using a temporary Bus terminal?

The area over the tracks has been significantly scaled back in terms of ambition. This is the Skypark as it's being called.

View attachment 34747

That's a pretty sad looking "park" IMHO.
I am hoping that they're planning on putting in the infrastructure to build the retail above the tracks as a future phase.
Other than that I am elated by this news. :)

Any idea how much money changed hands?

I understand that ML sold 141 Bay (where the current Bus terminal is ) to Ivanhoe and is going to lease the space in the new building for the new bus terminal. So, aside from getting a new terminal, did ML just get an infusion of some cash?

Good question, though I am not sure how much cash would they have left minus the construction costs of the new terminal.

AoD

I'm very skeptical of their timelines. Where is the current GO Bus station going to move during construction? presumably to the parking lot at 45 Bay (future phase 2). They intend to start construction in Spring 2015, meaning they will move the Bus station around that time. Well, what about the Pan Am games? Do we want visitors to our city using a temporary Bus terminal?

Nope, they will build the new terminal first, along with Phase 1 tower on the south side of the tracks. Once that's done in 2018, they can close the existing GO Bus terminal on the north side and build Phase 2 there.

Note: no mention of moving the intercity terminal here.

AoD

Back