Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Interesting that the PDF shows a "potential trading podium" for phase 1. The banks seem to love podiums with huge floorplates.

Interesting that the PDF shows a "potential trading podium" for phase 1. The banks seem to love podiums with huge floorplates.

Ding ding ding someone noticed that! And of course, there was a discussion awhile ago in this thread about potential banks that might be interested and their office plans.

Hmm.

AoD

Can-Ar Coach operates from GO's Union Bus Terminal. The evening departures from the GO terminal are when it is at its least busy (only the 16 Hamilton QEW service operates outbound)

http://www.can-arcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HaliburtonLine.pdf (Toronto-Lindsay-Haliburton)

http://www.can-arcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PortElginLine.pdf (Toronto-Orangeville-Palmerston-Walkerton-Kincardine-Port Elgin)

That's at least one intercity bus carrier.

The carriers still using the Bay Street Terminal (still owned by the City of Toronto and operated by the TTC) are Greyhound, Ontario Northland, Coach Canada (Megabus to Niagara and Kingston-Montreal), and Megabus (US routes to New York and Washington).

I don't want to blame everything on Rob Ford (although it so easy), but it seems to me that his inability to work with Metrolinx and other levels of government may have played into this only being a GO Bus Station (if that is indeed the case). I'm purely speculating here... but instead of being strategic and being part of a much bigger development RoFo was calling back constituents and filing pot holes.

I don't want to blame everything on Rob Ford (although it so easy), but it seems to me that his inability to work with Metrolinx and other levels of government may have played into this only being a GO Bus Station (if that is indeed the case). I'm purely speculating here... but instead of being strategic and being part of a much bigger development RoFo was calling back constituents and filing pot holes.
Since it appears this WILL BE an inter-City terminal AND because RoFo is MINO I really think he can get neither blame nor credit for whatever happens.

In that video, Toronto has gotten a lot more trees than I remember :rolleyes:

In regards to the "park", I'm surprised they didn't include any sort of connection that allows passengers to access the bus terminal complex right from the platforms. From what I gather from the renderings, the bridge rises just above the end of the platforms.

Until we hear confirmation that more than just Can-Ar Coach will be using this terminal (and that the Bay and Dundas terminal is closing), its probably safe to assume that this will not be a substitute (at least in the immediate future) for the Bay and Dundas terminal. Which is a real shame.

In regards to the "park", I'm surprised they didn't include any sort of connection that allows passengers to access the bus terminal complex right from the platforms. From what I gather from the renderings, the bridge rises just above the end of the platforms.

The fact sheet PDF shows a "teamway" (3 and 4 in the image) running under the tracks from the north entrance to the entrance plaza for 45 Bay. I assume that this is the existing pedestrian underpass, with improvements.

ScreenShot257_zps58a0454b.jpg

These are obviously preliminary renders, but is there any evidence of a direct link to the Gardiner from the terminal? I imagine it would greatly increase efficiency.

There is no chance at al that ramps will be built connecting the bus terminal here to the Gardiner. The City is not interested in any more concrete flyovers in this area. Besides, there's no place to connect them without creating weaving conflicts.

In regards to buses other than GO, yes, this will serve buses other than GO.

No mention anywhere of the coach terminal, which no longer belongs at Bay and Dundas. I don't find this surprising; it seems impossible to make any rational transit decisions in this city.

Well, it could be subject to the other bus lines negotiating space there. Just as the whole building is dependent on companies leasing office space.

Until we hear confirmation that more than just Can-Ar Coach will be using this terminal (and that the Bay and Dundas terminal is closing), its probably safe to assume that this will not be a substitute (at least in the immediate future) for the Bay and Dundas terminal. Which is a real shame.

It's not safe to assume that. Everyone involved knows that the Coach Terminal needs to move. It's not an UrbanToronto secret.

There is no chance at al that ramps will be built connecting the bus terminal here to the Gardiner. The City is not interested in any more concrete flyovers in this area. Besides, there's no place to connect them without creating weaving conflicts.

Who's to say the Gardiner will even exist? The latest staff recommendation was to tear it down. I know Ford, Chow and Tory will be in favour of keeping the alternate proposal to keep most of it with a re-aligned portion from the DVP, but its a city council vote, and who knows what could happen. The Ford era has shown us anything can happen.

Back