News   Jul 17, 2024
 606     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 652     0 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

Well why not be specific then instead of making silly accusations that waste everybody's time?

Not at all. In fact I enjoyed their responses. Nobody has to agree with me. You are the one acting childish and insecure... and again, you only just go on to prove my point:

Sensitive much?

My opinion is a 'misconception'. I just love your idea of 'reasoned debate'. You are adorable!

You and MisterF will be great friends ;)

Toronto is bland. Toronto is blah about everything. You get the sense people are just here to work and out for themselves.

You think the City of Chicago or the people are more interesting? Have you been to Chicago? Toronto is a much more interesting city and the people are a lot funkier too. Show me a Kensington Market in Chicago. Sorry, I find Toronto and Torontonians a hell of a lot more interesting.

What would you consider an interesting neighbourhood or district in Chicago?

You think the City of Chicago or the people are more interesting? Have you been to Chicago? Toronto is a much more interesting city and the people are a lot funkier too. Show me a Kensington Market in Chicago. Sorry, I find Toronto and Torontonians a hell of a lot more interesting.

River North.
Wrigleyville.

Toronto sports culture is also severly lacking.

Well why not be specific then instead of making silly accusations that waste everybody's time?
Pot, kettle, black. You still haven't been specific and shown which posts provoked your own silly accusations to begin with.

My opinion is a 'misconception'. I just love your idea of 'reasoned debate'. You are adorable!
It's quite simple really. You had a misconception about how ethnically mixed Toronto is compared to Chicago. You implied that they were all but equivalent in that respect. They're not even close and people corrected you.

This is like explaining the punchline of a joke.

It's quite simple really. You had a misconception about how ethnically mixed Toronto is compared to Chicago. You implied that they were all but equivalent in that respect. They're not even close and people corrected you.

Let's parse the following for meaning, shall we?

Well, neighbourhoods in Toronto and surrounding areas are not exactly as 'desegregated' as you might think. The racial lines exist here as well but we are too caught up in our own propaganda bullshite to recognize it.

Do I state that Toronto is categorically more or less ethnically 'mixed' than Chicago? Nope. Do I state that Toronto and Chicago are 'equivalent' in any way? Ummmm, that'd be a no too. Do I state that we are not as 'desegregated' as we'd like to think? Yep, which is entirely different from what you are accusing me of stating... then again, it is difficult to read for comprehension and have 'reasoned debate' when you are so full of insecurity:

^Go ahead and show us where this sense of betrayal is. All I've seen is reasoned debate. Other than certain forumers' silly accusations anyway.

Do I state that Toronto is categorically more or less ethnically 'mixed' than Chicago? Nope. Do I state that Toronto and Chicago are 'equivalent' in any way? Ummmm, that'd be a no too. Do I state that we are not as 'desegregated' as we'd like to think? Yep, which is entirely different from what you are accusing me of stating... then again, it is difficult to read for comprehension and have 'reasoned debate' when you are so full of insecurity:
As long as we're talking about reading comprehension, the word I used was "implied". Look it up. BTW, your obsession with insecurity says more about you than those you're accusing.

Wicker Park
Bucktown
Little Village
West Loop
Uptown

Wicker Park
Bucktown
Little Village
West Loop
Uptown

What is the most interesting street in each of those neighbourhoods and what is it that you find interesting about it. I haven't been to all of them, so I want to check them out on Google. Give me a street name, so I can have a look. I was in Bucktown but I probably didn't see the part you saw.

River North.
Wrigleyville.

Toronto sports culture is also severly lacking.

I'm curious to find out what you found interesting about those areas. I walked around the Wriglyville area and found it to be just like walking around the east end of the Danforth. (minus the stadium) The only street I saw that had any life, was N. Clark St. but maybe I missed the cool area, so fill me in. I'm not a sports fan, so I can't relate to the sports culture.

What would you say is the most interesting part of both River North and Wringlyville (what streets specifically) and what is it that made them interesting for you? I've seen a lot of Chicago but obviously, there are probably many interesting things I missed and need to see next time I go.

River North was interesting to me, only for the architecture. (and the infrastructure) Other then the cool skyscrapers and bridges, what makes this area interesting? After 6/7pm, this area was completely deserted, when I was there. (south side of the river) Where are the unexpected surprises or just something out of the ordinary?

If I were to pick a Chicago area that was a little different and interesting, I would say Printer's Row, for the large, historic warehouses and buildings. It's still a bit quiet but it has good potential to become a tourist area. I find much of downtown/north Chicago to be lacking in pedestrian traffic, especially when the sun goes down. The only lively part of Chicago I saw, was the strip of Michigan Avenue, from around Buckingham Fountain, north to Lakeshore. (the Magnificent Mile) Streets like Rush, Clark and Lincoln had pedestrians but they were still lacking the vitality other big cities have.

Over-all, I just find much of Chicago to be ordinary and lacking any distinctive character. (especially lacking in pedestrian vitality, when compared to Montreal or Toronto)

Well, here's an article I definitely think is worth reading on this topic: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...mericas-capital-of-volatility/article2128559/

Excerpt from said article:

It is only a short drive out of Chicago's beautiful forest of skyscrapers before the lingering devastation of the 2008 recession comes into full view. First, the shuttered stores and boarded-up, foreclosed houses, home to squatters and dogfights. Then the disintegrating bridges, roads and other infrastructure. It is depressing evidence of the shift from the crippling private debt of the American housing crisis to a broader, unsustainable spending pattern within the global public sector. Some neighbourhoods here are almost entirely boarded up, as average Americans defaulted on mortgage debts in a manner not dissimilar to what is now happening to their governments.

Last edited:
It is only a short drive out of Chicago's beautiful forest of skyscrapers before the lingering devastation of the 2008 recession comes into full view. First, the shuttered stores and boarded-up, foreclosed houses, home to squatters and dogfights. Then the disintegrating bridges, roads and other infrastructure. It is depressing evidence of the shift from the crippling private debt of the American housing crisis to a broader, unsustainable spending pattern within the global public sector. Some neighbourhoods here are almost entirely boarded up, as average Americans defaulted on mortgage debts in a manner not dissimilar to what is now happening to their governments.

2008 is a useful smokescreen for a process that was already happening over the previous four decades, at least...

I do not think this deserved a separate thread, but it fits in here. This is a graph showing the heights in feet of the top 100 built, under construction and proposed buildings (with announced heights) listed on SSP for New York, Chicago and Toronto, arranged in descending order:

ScreenShot113.jpg

As you can see, for a given position (after about the tenth place or so) New York is about 120 feet taller than Chicago, which in turn is about 80 feet taller than Toronto.

Last edited:

Back