Toronto Charlie Condos | 122.83m | 36s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Heard from someone close to the company that a Noah's Natural Foods will be occupying at least part of Charlie's retail component. That might break up the monotony of Starbucks-Club-Pizza Place-Starbucks-Club-Pizza Place that King West has become.

^Ha the folks at Aroma listened to me! 2 years ago on twitter they asked where they should locate. I said make it Charlie or make it not at all. (Mind you now that I've had real coffee in Toronto--actually Mimico--I find Aroma's version rather dull.)

You both were right! Well, I'm not sure if Noah's Natural Foods is the tenant, but there IS a health store going in, as well as a travel agency *snore*.

Anyway, the public art component is of a..... sinking boat! It's a dark metal outline of a boat that appears to be sinking into the concrete.. I'll take a pic tomorrow in daylight.

I think of the boat as emerging from the ground. Photos taken 7 March 2013.

IMG_3418_1-L.jpg

IMG_3419_1-L.jpg

I feel like that would be beautiful with some climbing plants through it. As is it feels cold and industrial like most of our public art.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was initially easy to write this one off as just another box, but it's come together quite nicely. I agree that a lot of our public art is pretty industrial, but the city's past is industrial, so it's a nice connection.

The sculpture is clad in copper so will develop a warmer patina and oxidize over time.

Back