Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Wasn't there talk of the park having a premier tobogganing hill? It can't be that hill there; it looks small (albeit steep) and there are too many trees at the base.

Actually, its pretty high. Pictures can be deceiving but if you drive by, the western hill is at least as high as the Gardiner is at that spot, so 6 - 8 floors I would think.

The canoe has arrived. Note the many bobbers as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 457
They were placing the canoe when I drove by on the Gardiner today around 3PM. Looked kind of cool, tho I was honestly expecting something bigger.

This is interesting so far, I agree. It remains to be seen whether it ends up being good interesting or bad interesting.

I saw the canoe being lifted into place by a crane late today. I was surprised how small the canoe seemed to be. Expecting bigger I guess.
S'Bus

What are those things on the truck behind the canoe?
The canoe itself looks very cartoonish.

That's sort of Coupland's sense of humour though, no? To do it too 'straight' would perhaps take it too far from the realm of interactive art to the realm of stuffy monument (not that there's anything wrong with stuffy monuments).

The tackiness is clearly intentional and part of Coupland's shtick. Whether irony is something we want to design our public spaces around is debatable. It might be "of its time", but will it withstand the test of time?

The test of time has allowed all sorts of buildings to be torn down in this city whose loss we now lament... so the test of time is as fickle as any, and no more reliable an indicator of intrinsic worth than the current vogue is.

Last edited:
Cityplace park

It's certainly imaginative. I'm looking forward to the final results.
Amazing how quick they hauled away the hills of fill on the east side.

Back