Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

The canoe is admittedly a bit more cartoonish than I was expecting - for some reason I though it might be a little bit more realistic, complete with detailed gunwales and ribs. I am still pretty excited for this park -- maybe T.O. can use a bit of whimsy? I feel like it migh even continue a theme created by the cartoonish umbrellas at HtO (alhtough this is probably a stretch, given that the two parks are pretty far apart and are separated by the Gardiner). I hope my general faith in Coupland won't be shattered by this project...

All these oversized novelty items bring this one a little too close to an Claes Odenburg ripoff...without the poetic irony and latent sarcasm which characterize many of his works.

I find that some of these elements are emerging as rather ironic, no? The 'bobs' almost feel like a bit of a wry nod to the Stanley Park totems...

I like the colour and humour being used here and I think these elements will work well providing that the plantings and actual park itself are of good solid quality.

I like what's happening. I worry, however, that once all the surrounding towers are built, and wedged in as it is by the highway, this park could be in covered by shadows a lot of the time.

Nonetheless, this is a step forward for the city's green spaces.

I wish they'd hire a designer to clean up that nearby park on Spadina, just north of Front. That space sure could be better used.

I like what's happening. I worry, however, that once all the surrounding towers are built, and wedged in as it is by the highway, this park could be in covered by shadows a lot of the time.

Nonetheless, this is a step forward for the city's green spaces.

I wish they'd hire a designer to clean up that nearby park on Spadina, just north of Front. That space sure could be better used.

Clarence square. The park has great potential... but all these dog owners let their dogs loose there... the place is a mess.

Fair enough if they poney up the money but I don't think a park with the heritage status of Clarence Square should be left in the hands of developers. This is a little gem and deserves some special treatment.

/\ Agreed. But Fly is also on the hook for a mid-block, pedestrian connection from Front St. north to the park. Perhaps their dollars, combined with increased pedestrian traffic could make this the space it always wanted to be.

The sun mostly shines from above and from the south and west on this park, so the only time there would be any shadows is in the early morning hours.

I took a stroll through the new park today...I may have slipped passed an open fence to do so...
Anyway, I snapped a few pics:

Attachments

• Toronto Central Park 3.jpg
    Toronto Central Park 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Toronto Central Park 10 (2).jpg
    Toronto Central Park 10 (2).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Toronto Central Park 13.jpg
    Toronto Central Park 13.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 354
  • Toronto Central Park 14.jpg
    Toronto Central Park 14.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 367
Fair enough if they poney up the money but I don't think a park with the heritage status of Clarence Square should be left in the hands of developers. This is a little gem and deserves some special treatment.

Any changes won't be left to the "hands of the developers" - it's a simple financial transaction where the city receives the money from Empire and the city is responsible for allocating the funds.

Back