Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Maybe the figure quoted for Canoe Stranding Park also includes South Linear Park and North Linear Park lands within CityPlace, possibly even Mouth of the Creek Park too? Maybe the 8 hectares refers to all parkland within the Railway Lands and someone then applied the number just to the one park…

Mistakes like that happen often.

Maybe. I guess my point is just that you can't fit everything that's in Withrow Park into Canoe Landing.

Care to explain how they plan to even double the size of this park? I'm not aware of any plans to make it any bigger than what's in this plan (which has been already built):
proj_commons_03_c.jpg

Also I just found a report by the city of Toronto that indicates the park is only 8 acres, not 8 hectares: http://www.toronto.ca/tuda/2011/pdf/largeplaces_summaries_july14.pdf

The pit next door to the park is going to become part of the park. The current park only goes up to the path in the East. There is to be more park space to the east of that path, adjacent to the schools/community centre that will be built. Concord doesn't own the land, so they couldn't build it. Like I said though, it still wont be as big as Withrow Park.

The pit next door to the park is going to become part of the park. The current park only goes up to the path in the East. There is to be more park space to the east of that path, adjacent to the schools/community centre that will be built. Concord doesn't own the land, so they couldn't build it. Like I said though, it still wont be as big as Withrow Park.

I wasn't aware that was becoming a park as well. I always assumed it was a parcel owned by another group and another condo would be going up there eventually. Thanks for the info.

What I see is a bunch of immature trees that have barely begun to 'green up' this spring. In 5 - 10 years if they are given a chance to grow they will change the character of the park.

Someone mentioned the lack of skating rink, yet there is one on Queens Quay less than 10 minutes away, Baseball fields are at Coronation park, and pools are generally provided in every (or every other) building. So why duplicate?

I'd say Roundhouse park is about as active as Cityplace park, once you remove the railway museum aspect. Does that make it a failure as well? The park on the North-West side of Bremner and Simcoe is barely used AT ALL, is it a failure???

I wasn't aware that was becoming a park as well. I always assumed it was a parcel owned by another group and another condo would be going up there eventually. Thanks for the info.

Not the entire parcel, just the edge that runs along the park. The rest of it will still be a condo, schools, daycare and a community centre.

I walked through the park today and it was pretty full at 5:30. The turf field was full of people playing sports, the grassy area had about 5-6 people and their dogs, and there were another 5-6 people hanging around the canoe, not to mention people jogging around the park.

I don't understand how anyone can say this park is dead, unless they are only walking by on cold gloomy days, in which case any park would be dead.

Not the entire parcel, just the edge that runs along the park. The rest of it will still be a condo, schools, daycare and a community centre.

I walked through the park today and it was pretty full at 5:30. The turf field was full of people playing sports, the grassy area had about 5-6 people and their dogs, and there were another 5-6 people hanging around the canoe, not to mention people jogging around the park.

I don't understand how anyone can say this park is dead, unless they are only walking by on cold gloomy days, in which case any park would be dead.

I have to agree. I'm not sure how anyone can say "apart from the dogwalkers and the people playing soccer it's dead" as if those uses don't meet some sort of magical requirement for what makes a successful park. I actually think it's a lot more popular than some of the other local parks like HTO and the Music Garden but no one seems to be ragging on those (probably because they look good is my guess).

I have to agree. I'm not sure how anyone can say "apart from the dogwalkers and the people playing soccer it's dead" as if those uses don't meet some sort of magical requirement for what makes a successful park. I actually think it's a lot more popular than some of the other local parks like HTO and the Music Garden but no one seems to be ragging on those (probably because they look good is my guess).

That's what bugs me. Its one thing to call this park a failure in terms of its execution, but to call it a failure because it isn't used is complete BS. It is used as much as any other park I have ever been to. Clarence Square and Victoria Square are always dead and only have people walking through them to get to the other side... does that make them a failure too? No! They are an escape from the hustle and bustle of downtown life, and suit their purpose well. Canoe Landing will be nothing more than that. It's not meant to host large events, or large crowds. It was built to serve the neighbourhood and that is exactly what it is doing. Give it several more years for trees and plants to mature, and it will only get better.

I have a feeling people expect it to be crowded 2 days after it's finished.. It doesn't work like that. Wait until CityPlace is finished and occupied, and allowed to mature as a neighbourhood a bit, then you'll see retail doing well and the parks occupied more. Rome wasn't built in a day.

City Council consideration on April 6, 2022
Notice of Motion
MM42.23
ACTION​
Ward: 10​
Expanding Canoe Landing Park Under the Gardiner Expressway - by Councillor Joe Cressy, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton

City Council request the General Manager, Parks, Forestry, and Recreation to include within the 10-Year Capital Plan, a project for the Canoe Landing Park expansion under the Gardiner Expressway in future budget submissions for Parks, Forestry, and Recreation, in coordination with Transportation Services, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits collected from 23 Spadina Avenue (XR3026-3701142) secured specifically for this purpose.

Next, we are working toward a southerly expansion of Canoe Landing Park in partnership with The Bentway, taking advantage of the vacant land right beside the park that is sheltered by the expressway. A major element of this new space is intended to be a large, high-quality off-leash area for dogs to run and socialize within a fence. CityPlace needs a dedicated space for dogs for two reasons: there are a lot of residents with dogs who will benefit, and it will take pressure off other areas of the park and the wider neighbourhood where off-leash dogs can be a recurring safety, health, and maintenance challenge.

City staff, including Parks, Forestry and Recreation and Transportation Services, will work with the Bentway and other stakeholders to develop a plan to improve this space. Full implementation will occur once the Gardiner deck replacement work in the area is complete.

Back