News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 722     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Bike Share

Additional item on the next week's TPA agenda in regards to Bikeshare, and its a good one.

Advance approval for next year's equipment purchase, which means instead of rolling out expansion in October/November, which is how its being done this year; next year they hope to have the equipment in place early in the season.

Also a couple of other bits of info in there, including that this year's expansion has been quietly bumped up to 50 additional stations (was 38 if I recall correctly)

Next year's expansion will be 160 docks and over 1,800 bikes:

1663866383081.png

It would be nice to see some integration with transit fares. Maybe a slightly higher cost monthly pass that includes unlimited bike share use. One would think it might be in transit operators interests to have people use bikes instead of buses for some trips.

It would be nice to see some integration with transit fares. Maybe a slightly higher cost monthly pass that includes unlimited bike share use. One would think it might be in transit operators interests to have people use bikes instead of buses for some trips.

I'm not sure BikeShare, at this time, is particularly helpful for the TTC to reduce costs.

The main issue is TTC needs to purchase equipment and have staff to provide for peak operations periods, and that includes both daily and seasonal loads. Until BikeShare can reduce their winter loads sufficiently that they can reduce buses/operators from their fleet, it doesn't make a difference to them. TTC costs are the important piece since they'd be 90% of the total pass price, and any price reduction would be from the TTC.

Any additional government subsidy for a discounted combined pass program would be more effective at converting peak period last-mile bus trips to bike rides if invested in making bike-lanes more winter friendly.

An average sized bike dock holds enough bikes to accommodate what, a quarter of one fully loaded bus? Maybe even less? Then the dock is empty until people ride the bikes back the next morning.

Bike Share has released their 4-year growth plan. With a system expansion hosting over 1000 stations, and 10,000 bikes.

Already discussed, starting here:

Rant:
Getting to Cherry Beach Sportsfield after 6pm is a nightmare. I had to go to Tommy Thompson park and walk back. I would have been better off walking from my place.
View attachment 429530
It's just awful and no one is listening. I'm gonna cave and write to Blogto.

I can't believe Cherry Beach station was full. It is huge!

It's just awful and no one is listening. I'm gonna cave and write to Blogto.
"and people are furious!"
seriously, though. this is so annoying.

I can't believe Cherry Beach station was full. It is huge!

I've been it full before but that was in the middle of summer. In the fall is surprising for sure. Makes me wonder if there was an special event happening in the area.

"and people are furious!"
seriously, though. this is so annoying.

I've been it full before but that was in the middle of summer. In the fall is surprising for sure. Makes me wonder if there was an special event happening in the area.
Beach was closed for filming. My buddy came an hour after me around 7pm and also had to walk from Tommy Thompson.
I think Bikeshare isn't rotating the bikes.

Last edited:
'Expansion is going creepingly slow'........sigh..........

But......there is something:

1665106188765.png

Back