News   Apr 19, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 898     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

Toronto Bike Share

most likely because they don't want to pay Apple a % cut of passes sold via the app. It ranges from 15 to 30% depending on how much volume you are doing via the app. If sold via a mobile website and not the app, they don't have to pay Apple their extortion fees.

Honestly though the friction of having tourists and low-frequency users download an app is probably higher than just visiting a website.

But I really think the checkout flow should remove the need to create an account. Just let single use riders quickly rent bikes with Apple Pay/Google Pay etc

From today's Bike Share email. EDIT: Some UTers are "sad" - I suspect they installed them in a poor location (over a manhole, on a narrow path or ??). Clearly BikeShare will be re-installing nearby.)

EASY COME, EASY GO!
bikes.jpg

Last edited:
More e-bikes --> more dud bikes --> Fewer available docks :-(
I wish there was an option to still use an e-bike even with dead battery. It's not that much worse to ride, especially for short distances. Maybe provide a bonus (like some other bike/scooter-share systems do) for bringing it to a charging dock.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous.
I agree. The man on the phone told me it was a glitch for the dock I was at but I haven't seen the option at any other full docks I've come across and it's been weeks since my initial encounter.

edit: I should point out that my only experience with extended sessions is within the app. I never did figure out how to do it through the dock kiosk, but it says you can use the kiosk and the app on the website FAQ section still.

I wish there was an option to still use an e-bike even with dead battery. It's not that much worse to ride, especially for short distances. Maybe provide a bonus (like some other bike/scooter-share systems do) for bringing it to a charging dock.
I sometimes can't get to where I need to be in 45 mins. One time I was on an ebike and I used the last of the battery. Fortunately there was one (and only one) manual bike at the dock or I would have been stranded.

Bikeshare Toronto's four-year Growth Plan is out this morning via the agenda for next week's Toronto Parking Authority Meeting.

We'll get into the details momentarily, but a couple of quick facts from the precis:

Bikeshare Toronto is now the 4th largest Bikeshare service in North America.

TPA says its goal is 'Best in the World' (note they didn't say biggest); but still, that's some ambition there.

Ridership up 23% year over year despite virtually no expansion thus far.

Link to Report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/pa/bgrd/backgroundfile-229483.pdf

From the above:

1663861899512.png

There are no lists of locations/areas in the report, other than that you see above. I will provide a cursory summary of the expansion:

2022: South-West Scarborough (Kingston Road to Danforth, and Danforth to Kingston Road); all over Leaside/Thorncliffe/Flemingdon, Eglinton further west, south-west Etobicoke (from Bloor south, generally to Royal York)

2023: Kingston Road to Eglinton, Full coverage on Eglinton VP to Humber River, Northern Etobicoke, Downsview area

2024: NYCC, Sheppard East, large portion of the former City of York including Weston, St. Clair East in Scarborough, north-west Scarborough

2025: Central Scaborough, SCC, Sheppard/Don Mills

Above is not exhaustive, LOL, look for yourself!

They think they can be profitable by 2024:

1663862035775.png

1663865861455.png

Last edited:
Further east on Kingston Rd and Thorncliffe in the next couple of months is super exciting! I always have to use my own bike to get to these places since they're too far from Bike Share stations.

The roll out for Etobicoke is piss poor. Sigh...

To be fair to TPA, I think the roll out looks fairly logical when considering what resources they will have available, and when.

They're rolling out, by and large, in clusters with priority given to areas continguous to existing Bikeshare, particularly higher-use sections; and those along subways, and next to post-secondary campuses.

So areas w/no post-secondary, no subway and far from the existing network will come last.

TPA is planning further, on-going expansion through 2030 at which point they intend to have full, City-Wide coverage.

Back