Richmond Hill Beverly Hills Condominium | ?m | 24s | Great Lands

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a thread for this - I can't keep track of all the various York Region proposals...

Great Land (Yonge 16th) Inc. has applied to the Town of Richmond Hill for site plan approval and official plan and zoning by-law amendments to permit a high-density mixed-use development. Five-residential towers between 18 and 28 storeys high are proposed. As well, retail, office and commercial uses are to be included on site. The property is located at 55 16th Avenue and 9185, 9201 and 9205 Yonge Street.

good to hear. intensifying that corner will be good. looking at the map, it's the site of the old cosmo's music store and that really underused plaza with 3 restaurants.

55 16th ave is interesting though. it point to where the new honda dealership is. unless it's that little plot of land behind the townhouses on northern heights.

In 25 years, Yonge will be lined with a 25 km long strip of apartments and retail from Queen's Quay all the way up to Major Mackenzie. There's no other street like it in the GTA.

I hate driving up there- it honestly takes you 35 mins. just to get from Major Mack to 16th- with so many stoplights its just ridiculous.
As for the development, I think a lot of things will happen within the next few years, especially as they start/complete the VIVA buslanes etc. I think a lot more density needs to be added to the area, however, the town of Richmond Hill better start planning for a traffic chaos and ultimately what to do about it.

p5

Pfft I made it from Wellington Street (in Aurora) to King Street (in Toronto) taking Yonge Street all the way down in 50 minutes, at 6 pm on a weekday.

The only way to go north from 7 to Major Mac is Yonge, Bayview or Bathurst. Unless you want to spend your time going through curvy and disjointed one lane suburban side streets. And Yonge is only two lanes in each direction most of this way. Add the lights and all the large retail centres along the way and this spells disaster.

Ahh, who cares whether it took you 20 minutes, the point is that traffic is insanely bad in this area and will only get worse/ is already with all the new houses going up. And with only 3 northbound roads to feed all those hungry 3 car garage houses in RH and Aurora, and with plenty more to come, expect it to take hours in the near future.

p5

They could always extend the Yonge subway a bit farther north. GO improvements could take care of lots of car trips going downtown but there's only going to be more and more pressure on Yonge itself. It's frustrating when subdivision collector roads loop around drunkenly and don't connect with each other...can't use them to get anywhere, can't run good bus routes on them. Some suburban areas were given good road networks - the 401/404/407/Markham block is one of them, with good long straight N/S roads every 800m apart and E/W roads every ~1km...going in and out of the area, you really notice how it's an oasis of little traffic. Markham is building connections across the 407 at Rodick and Birchmount...there definitely should be one in the vicinity of Langstaff to Red Maple. Perhaps a few Doris/Beecroft style ringroads are in order alongside Yonge in Richmond Hill?

Here's an interesting Richmond Hill transportation presentation, focused mainly on roads:
http://www.richmondhilltmp.com/PublicOpen House-May18-Presentation Mater.pdf

Another way around all that traffic is to never go to Richmond Hill. That's how I do it.

Details ... Details

Towers_sm.jpg

a picture speaks a thousand words ... Yonge is in the foreground with the left being north ... this development will enable the completion of Northern Heights Drive to connect through to 16th Avenue ...

site location is depiected below

16Yonge.jpg

the property is south of 16th Avenue and east of Yonge Street, being a L-shaped property that excludes the property right at the corner of the intersection (which contains a ~4 storey office building with 'Play It Again Sports' on the ground floor), the new Richmond Hill Honda dealership is to the east, and Daniel's built a series of townhouses to the south several years ago (marketed as 'Richvale')

funny all the little curved glass hats being added to buldings nowadays..reminds me somewhat of the proposal for Mississauga that was posted a few weeks ago..nonetheless, could most certainly be kirkor..

Back