Richmond Hill Beverly Hills Condominium | ?m | 24s | Great Lands

I received this in an Email
News Release

June 21, 2011

Great Lands Corporation today announced that it plans to build one of the largest condominium projects in the GTA. It will be known as “The Beverly Hills” and is located on Yonge Street, south of Sixteenth Avenue in Richmond Hill. The development has been planned as an upscale, resort development, which will incorporate, for the first time in Richmond Hill, a “woonerf” street with ground floor shops, four towers and associated podiums above. The development received Official Plan and Zoning approvals in August 2010 for 948 residential units plus ground floor retail commercial. Marketing of the project will start this Fall.

“The term “woonerf” originated in Europe, and it is a highly attractive landscaped road shared between cars and pedestrians, without any asphalt or curbs, but rather uses patterns in the interlocking stones and landscaping to define pathways, on-street parking and driving areas.” says Ron Stein, Manager of Land Development.

“The project was named “The Beverly Hills” because we think it best represents the image of the complex, with high-end resort style amenity areas that would compete with anything in Beverly Hills, California. We’re rolling out the red carpet, and intend to bring a better Yorkville to Richmond Hill, a self-sufficient active place, where the younger generation will be interested to settle, and be closer to their families.

One of the unique aspects of our development is these luxury buildings will be affordable to the average consumer or first time buyer, as we will be capping the total down payment at only 15%, and spreading that over five payments in two years. That is unheard of in the industry. ” Sam Sadr, President, CEO, and founder of Great Lands Corporation, stated.

The Town and Region will also be benefitting from the development, as Great Lands will be dedicating a portion of its land for a new public neighbourhood park, and easement for the planned subway route and nearby station. Great Lands Construction Manager, Andrew Pawlaczek, has estimated the development will provide over two million man hours of work for the local economy, and over $25 million in levies, parkland, and fees to Richmond Hill, York Region and the school boards.

I don't get the subway bit, it was never planed to go this far north ?

it is possible that easements are taken now to protect the land for any (future) subway extensions beyond the planned Highway 7 terminus

Wasn't the plan to possibly run the subway along the GO Tracks north in the future. Which means protecting land at Yonge and 16th for a station.

What's the chance that this will be the most mocked project on UrbanToronto over the next few years? The name is the most heavily processed cheese we've seen in a while. So cheesy, it's spray cheese. Four towers, huh?

spray-cheese1.jpg

what's the likeliholld of this project actually materializing?

I hope not. It's such a hideous design -- the towers look like Transformers heads on a podium. Reminds me of a dated condo development in China or Dubai.
The name for the development is very pretensious and lacks any thought or relationship to the design.

new rendering being emailed around today...

ImageProvider.aspx

For sure these are Transformers™.

Jus' sayin'.

new rendering being emailed around today...

ImageProvider.aspx

Looking at this; I cannot tell where Yonge Street is and where 16th Avenue should be.

On Yonge there is a Carville Centre Plaza to the north of the site that would be retained according to a schematic on the first page of this thread. To the south on Yonge is the Borovoy Plaza, which I assumed would be demolished to provide the south west part of this development. The redevelopment sign I believe is on that plaza's parking lot now, but it could be on the car/truck rental site to the north.

To the east along 16th Avenue is the Honda dealership that just moved there a couple of years ago. In addition, the Yummi's restaurant in the Borovoy is undergoing renovations with an addition into the parking lot, suggesting that they intend to be there for a while (unless this is to be the sales office for Great Lands).

What I am trying to say is that the layout of the parcel of land seems at odds with the massing that is shown in the conceptual, but maybe it is just artistic license.

Looking at the rendering, it could possibly be on the Honda Dealership and Diesel Depot site (just west of the railway).
In the far bottom left corner of the rendering shows a long roof with a series of dormers, which could be the townhouses to the south of that site, and in the background shows the sun setting which must be looking westwards. The roadway on the bottom right could be leading to the 16th Street underpass which links to the Carville Centre Plaza. Solar panels usually face south, so this rendering seems to be looking northwest.

The Honda dealership might have received a good price on their property and construction wouldn't start for at least a year or two, so they could still maintain their business for a little while.
Just a logical guess.

Last edited:
From my "guess", I think the latest rendering is depicted from the southeast corner of the site looking in a northwesterly direction .... the roof + dormers on the bottom left would appear to be the Daniels townhouses on Vanity Cres, and the road at the bottom right looks to be Northern Heights Drive ... by that intrepretation then Yonge Street would be in the background (hidden behind the buildings)

This concept does make more sense because the terracing/stepped built form in the foreground provides a much better transisiton with the 2-3 storey townhouses abutting to the south ... rather than 25 storey + towers right up abutting townhouses (as previously proposed) ~

I like the version in the advertisement, looks pretty sharp... wish we'd see more designs that incorporate these multi-level set backs and terraces!

Back