Toronto Bathurst College Centre | ?m | 4s | RioCan | Turner Fleischer

It actually appears to be a brick veneer (cosmetic cover - load bearing is the concrete wall behind it) VS traditional brick laying (double thick for more structural load bearing).

Here, they appear to be using standard size bricks. I’ve seen many house project where they cut cost/corner using thin bricks half as thick.

Brick is never used structurally for commercial development in a place like Toronto and hasn't been for much of the last century, so your post sounds a bit pedantic. The point made in the post above yours stands - they used real brick and not precast panels.

That said, this project deserves little praise - in fact, I consider it an insult to Bathurst Street and neighbourhoods like Kensington nearby. RioCan and Turner Fleischer can do some serious damage together.

So which generic, crappy corporate stores are going to be in here?
Scotiabank, Winners, Basil Box, and University Health Network

Wait so no grocery stores? How about a smaller walmart or something

I'm guessing you missed the whole Walmart hullabaloo when this project was first proposed

Good news - this area needs a budget grocer. The closest one is probably either the Dundas & Lansdowne No Frills or the Queen and Gladstone Freshco, both of which are very far away.

Good news - this area needs a budget grocer. The closest one is probably either the Dundas & Lansdowne No Frills or the Queen and Gladstone Freshco, both of which are very far away.
Lots of small budget places on Bloor (koreatown) I use most days. PAT mart is fantastic and there are many small fruit/veg vendors where you can find great prices. If you live on the east side of Bathurst Chinatown is close enough. In general i think the area is well served by the smaller grocers. I am jealous of the no frills on Lansdowne though.

you are right - those places along bloor often have even better prices than the big chain discount grocers, too. I used to frequent the Gold Leaf Fruit Market - the pricing on its fruits was miles better than any chain grocer, and it was better quality produce as well.

Dufferin Mall is closer (No Frills and Wal-Mart).

But I'm reminded of the Dupont & Lansdowne buyers angered by a Food Basics rather than the promised Metro.

Back