Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Take a look at the photo. Dundas Square is a corporate showroom for about 1/3rd of the time from April to October. The Square has a business model and it has to make money from events like these, but it doesn't mean that we have to like it.

Who honestly hates on Dundas square? Who "hates" anything like this?

Its a public square and one of the more happening places in the entire city. If billboards and lights and advertising isn't your thing, then just don't go there.

but to "hate" it?

pretty sure there are many more important things one can focus their energy on.

Dundas Square could be cool. But I'm not 20 years old nor do I live in Scarborough or Mississauga. So it's a waste of my time. It's just more of the same corporate bland crap that seems to excite so many consumers. Yawn.

I'll take Bloor & Lansdowne over DSq any day.

Note: Not a fan of crowds.

I don't mind crowds but I'm with UD, Yonge-Dundas just doesn't interest me. I just seems to be full of generic crap. The only original things here are annoying people like "JESUS SAVES" and the Nation of Islam guys. And by original I mean not owned by some billionaire CEO.

Take me a couple blocks west to Chinatown any day. Gritty but fun.

Back to Aura: I wouldn't be surprised if (esp. in light of tenuous PATH connections, including the awkward connection to College Park) a lot of that concourse retail space winds up morphing into "institutional", whether related to Ryerson, Hospital Row, or even the Yonge St Mission/Covenant/Ronald McDonald House...

I was a part of a school group given a hard hat tour of the site today, and can answer some recent enquiries.

Do we have a floor count as to where we sit at this week?

They are currently pouring 46.

I did see a sign in Aura saying "Fitness Centre" on the 4th floor, I believe. BB&B on 2, Marshalls on 3, and the fitness centre on 4. Didn't say that name of the fitness centre. I was wondering if it might be a Goodlife, or maybe even an Equinox.

But there are still a fair number of clubs in the area: the YMCA at Grosvenor, Extreme Fitness at Yonge/Dundas, Goodlife (formerly Ballys) at 250 Yonge (Eaton Centre).

According to the architect, it is set to become a Hard Candy Fitness.

There was also mention of a knock out panel (at the end of the corridor behind the escalator I believe) incorporated into the design of the lower retail level in anticipation it will one day be connected to PATH.

They’ve also recently settled on a glass balcony panel design:

IMG_3689a.jpg

The mock up on the far right was their original plan, however once installed the white dot design was deemed visually weak and failed to disguise the concrete base. The white striped panels on the left were then created and approved.

Although iPhone quality, I will post other photos shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_3689a.jpg
    IMG_3689a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 623
North view from the 30th floor:
IMG_3665.jpg

East view from the 30th floor:
IMG_3667.jpg

A few floors down and units were being fitted with metal studs. This was a 1b+d I believe.
IMG_3671.jpg

South view from the 28(ish) floor:
IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

Units in the teens approach completion:
IMG_3680.jpg

One of the loft units:
IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

Looking up on the roof of the podium:
IMG_3696.jpg

4th floor set to become a Hard Candy Fitness:
IMG_3698.jpg

Lobby:
IMG_3700.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_3680.jpg
    IMG_3680.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3685.jpg
    IMG_3685.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_3689a.jpg
    IMG_3689a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_3676.jpg
    IMG_3676.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 351
Great shots heytopher! To watch behind the scenes must have been a great experience. Lucky you! :D

Hard Candy Fitness will be a great addition as well.

Last edited:
They’ve also recently settled on a glass balcony panel design:

View attachment 9739

The mock up on the far right was their original plan, however once installed the white dot design was deemed visually weak and failed to disguise the concrete base. The white striped panels on the left were then created and approved.

Thanks for the great photo update heytopher. I hate to be so down on this project lately but is that really the best they could do with the balcony glass?

Btw, I like Dundas Square and a lot of what happens there (as per my comments on the previous page), I just don't like all the corporate rentals.

Back