Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Someone mentioned the proximity to College Park and Eaton Centre; is it possible that they are doing this on the cheap because they don't expect their retail to last and don't want to invest too much?

It's really about attracting the right retailers. I'm sure many would check out the basement of Aura if there was shops worth visiting, but if it's all nail/hair salons and Asian food, that's going to be a problem.

The whole problem with the underground retail is that that it was sold off as retail condos.

Typically in a retail property (i.e. large landlord operated mall), the landlord provides the retail unit to the tenant as "shell space". The tenant is responsible for everything, including the front door/screen partition to lock up the unit as Leasehold Improvements - all to the landlord's standards.
Here, it seems like the developer must provide a "secure" unit - hence the door and glass partition walls (although the food court stalls seems to have the screen partitions). Whether or not a tenant will remove those doors and partitions remains to be seen.

The small size of the units is probably a function of creating "affordable" units. When the small units fail to rent or succeed, you'll probably see consolidation of units (with owners selling to other owners).

Ok, so it's not 'pretty' and cool to look at. So what? There is more to urbanism than hipster chic, and believe it or not although the presence of mundane shops like this may not make Yonge very interesting to tourists it does make the inner city just slightly more 'real' and liveable... 'urban', in other words, which is a good thing. I may be overstating the case a little but to some degree the presence of stores like Marshalls, Crappy Tire and BBB actually make the city more diverse, not less, providing greater rationale for average people to live and shop downtown rather than fleeing by car to the suburbs whenever they need something other than stupid expensive clothes or overblown imported European furniture, none of which is in any short supply in the city!

+1

It's ridiculous listening to people argue against regular, bland condos and then complain that everything is too expensive. I might think you are crazy for suggesting that cities are for elites alone, but at least be honest and say as much. We need to be realistic and pick a side. Not everything can be some special, unique flower. Sometimes you just need bland. Unless you want cities to be for the rich alone, in which case I vehemently disagree.

Besides, I have yet to see the stores myself but from what I'm gathering, the worst parts are in the basement. Out of sight. Where few will go. Honestly, if any parts gonna be bland, it might as well be the part we can't see, correct?

The small size of the units is probably a function of creating "affordable" units. When the small units fail to rent or succeed, you'll probably see consolidation of units (with owners selling to other owners).

That's my expectation. I think that years from now, many of the retail units in Aura will have been consolidated into typical sized retail spaces.

Ok, so it's not 'pretty' and cool to look at. So what? There is more to urbanism than hipster chic, and believe it or not although the presence of mundane shops like this may not make Yonge very interesting to tourists it does make the inner city just slightly more 'real' and liveable... 'urban', in other words, which is a good thing. I may be overstating the case a little but to some degree the presence of stores like Marshalls, Crappy Tire and BBB actually make the city more diverse, not less, providing greater rationale for average people to live and shop downtown rather than fleeing by car to the suburbs whenever they need something other than stupid expensive clothes or overblown imported European furniture, none of which is in any short supply in the city!

I agree with you to an extent. I think it's great we have a BBB but I think it's very poorly planned for a downtown location. Look at the Winners on Front E in the market, they managed to make a cheap store look classy. Yes, a lot has to do with the current heritage building but I think BBB could have made an effort to look a bit nicer than something right out of Markham. Right now they have christmas crap pushed against the windows making the building look like a dollar store. Why not make the front window an aisle? Yes, the lighting and cheap unfinished ceilings don't help. However it's the little things. I hate walking past Aura and I am thankful I don't have to pass it daily.

Last edited:
When the first of the retail units open up in the basement, I think we'll get a better idea of how this whole project will work.

Agreed. It's still a work in progress. There's not even a shop sign up yet. Give it time, boys and girls.

I was looking at the digital map thingie, and it indicates that Alice Fazoolis has the Gerrard St. unit, Canyon Creek has the entrance right off of Yonge/Gerrard, and Royal Bank is going into the unit beside the BMO

I was looking at the digital map thingie, and it indicates that Alice Fazoolis has the Gerrard St. unit, Canyon Creek has the entrance right off of Yonge/Gerrard, and Royal Bank is going into the unit beside the BMO

Yeah! Not one bank but two fronting Yonge St. This is awesome. How often do people actually go into bank branches, really an honest question? I think I might go to a teller 3 times/year for something that I can't do at an atm. Are all these bank branches really necessary?

I also go into my bank only about 3 times a year, but whenever I go, there are always lots of customers in the bank.

Yeah! Not one bank but two fronting Yonge St. This is awesome. How often do people actually go into bank branches, really an honest question? I think I might go to a teller 3 times/year for something that I can't do at an atm. Are all these bank branches really necessary?

as they're closing the royal bank up the street for another condo, yeah it'll be necessary. but street frontage here probably isn't

The whole problem with the underground retail is that it was sold off as retail condos.

North of Gerrard on Yonge Street, for decades a vibrant stretch by day and night from Queen to Bloor St. It's great during the day now but not much happens at night.

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone think that the expanding & already extensive PATH system is taking away from the above ground street life? I know it's convienant in the winter but when I think of NY it's street life is exciting.

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone think that the expanding & already extensive PATH system is taking away from the above ground street life? I know it's convienant in the winter but when I think of NY it's street life is exciting.

Underground can be just as exciting as above ground. The PATH is something very unique to Toronto, and I am in favour of any expansions to it. Besides, its "negative" street life effects aren't present in the summer when people would rather be above ground.

I've always felt that the PATH does contribute to a less busy above ground. Imagine if we kept all our current above ground retail, and then added all of the PATH retail to the street level. It would be nuts!
Underground can be just as exciting as above ground. The PATH is something very unique to Toronto, and I am in favour of any expansions to it. Besides, its "negative" street life effects aren't present in the summer when people would rather be above ground.
I dunno about that. On the really hot days, I really enjoy walking in the cooler climate PATH.

I've always felt that the PATH does contribute to a less busy above ground. Imagine if we kept all our current above ground retail, and then added all of the PATH retail to the street level. It would be nuts!

I agree. With all those people we'd definitely have to widen the sidewalks. My question is how do all the other cities do it?

Last edited:

Back