Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Thats quite optimistic, previously 2014 had been bantered about as the completion date.
Wish it were possible though as I can't wait for this giant to dominate.

I agree on 2014 for occupancy....April/May 2013 is the predicted top off date, but as we can see with the Four Seasons they are still 10-12 months from occupancy.

I think the raising of these cranes is overdue. The white one was supposed to be raised a few weeks ago and now it looks like the yellow one will have to go up too.

auraj04.jpg

Last edited:
I think the raising of these cranes is overdue. The white one was supossed to be raised a few weeks ago and now it looks like the yellow one will have to go up too.

auraj04.jpg
They're listening, the yellow crane was raised today according to the webcam.

nice pic android :D!
now that they've finished the corner of the 3rd floor, we should see some fresh new height this month.

At the risk of going off-topic, given what this development is doing for catalyzing the area, I wonder if a precinct plan might soon be necessary.

I suspect that the World's Biggest Bookstore will be developed in the next 5 years, as well as more of the east and west sides of Yonge between here and Dundas. For me, this project is the tipping point.

At the risk of going off-topic, given what this development is doing for catalyzing the area, I wonder if a precinct plan might soon be necessary.

I suspect that the World's Biggest Bookstore will be developed in the next 5 years, as well as more of the east and west sides of Yonge between here and Dundas. For me, this project is the tipping point.

It is already catalyzing the area. I think you are correct about wbbs, and I would expect that the Delta (plus adjacent lot east of it) are eyed for developments right now. Providing the market holds, this area could be drastically different in six years or so.

A precinct plan is needed. The city should ensure that the new developments enliven the street life in the area, add lots of plantings, and most importantly the new developments shouldn't suck pedestrian traffic indoors, but rather, contribute to an enhanced retail environment on Yonge.

"contribute to an enhanced retail environment on Yonge."

I think this will be interesting to see. On the one hand these developments will enhance densities. On the other hand they will have considerable impact on the kind of retail environment that exists. Think more chain restaurants and chain retail.

I fear that the Hairy Tarantula is not long for this world...

Where will all us misfit geeks go to get our fix of delightfully scuzzy comic book/gaming shop?

It is already catalyzing the area. I think you are correct about wbbs, and I would expect that the Delta (plus adjacent lot east of it) are eyed for developments right now. Providing the market holds, this area could be drastically different in six years or so.

A precinct plan is needed. The city should ensure that the new developments enliven the street life in the area, add lots of plantings, and most importantly the new developments shouldn't suck pedestrian traffic indoors, but rather, contribute to an enhanced retail environment on Yonge.

Good point about the Delta Chelsea, especially considering the new Delta going in as part of the Southcore Financial Centre. Having 2 very large Delta hotels so close together may make one of them obsolete. I wouldn't be surprised to see that hotel bite the dust in under 10 years. Although I think that a lot of the properties along Yonge will be redeveloped first though. Pick the low-hanging fruit first.

I think that a lot of the properties along Yonge will be redeveloped first though. Pick the low-hanging fruit first.

Precisely. And chaotically adding another 3000-5000 residents to that stretch could make it a nightmare in terms of congested sidewalks -- unless it's done smartly.

Given the success of Aura, I think it's safe to say that its compatriots won't be long in coming.

Aura today..
OMGEEEEEEE HAILING, raining, LIGHTNING, thunder.... EPIC SKYSCRAPER CONSTRUCTION!

so glad these uploaded before the power potentially cuts.

5813508924_04d60d8eef_b.jpg

5813510096_b9ff596639_b.jpg

5813512096_fac145e48b_b.jpg

This building, plus the precedent being set by Five and 501 Yonge are going to be adding tremendous densities to the area. Yonge (and a lot of the core) has not seen a reshaping his thorough since the 1970's. This boom might be short on big-ticket imaginative items as that one was, but it's changing the city, fast.

I think a precinct plan, as you guys mentioned, would be a good idea - with a comprehensive review of Yonge from Bloor down to Lakeshore. A thorough look at the entire stretch - as is now being done for John Street - would be in order - with all the options presented there presented for Yonge.

Back