Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I don't see 250 Yonge, which I believe you would be able to, so it's got to be before 1982. Based on that and the cars, as well as leafless trees and street decorations, my guess is the winter of 1979/1980.

I know what you mean; but actually, 250 Yonge is more like c1992 than 1982. (Though if Atrium On Bay is presently visible by that vantage point, *its* absence might be a giveaway.)

My bad, I had the 250 and Cadillac Fairview mixed up; 1992 and 1982 respectively. In this case I'm not so certain, but I'd still wager early 80s based on the cars and quality of the photograph.

It's at least winter 1980. I grew up in the country, and my neighbours were huge Ford fanatics. That meant they had to be the first in the area to buy a brand new redesigned 1980 Ford F-150 pickup truck. That is the vehicle you can see to the right of the first parking pole in the northbound parking lane.

Last edited:
It looks like the Coronet Jewelery Exchange was still the Coronet Cinema judging by the lights around the marquee so I'd say sometime before 1983 when the cinema closed and was re-purposed.

I'm just as excited to see College Park revitalized as I am about the condominium & shopping areas.

Here's all I could find steveve when the proposal was 20 & 60 stories, from the Staff Report dated May 25, 2006

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Speaking of the old version, here's a rending I did based on the elevation submitted to the City. I definitely like what we're getting better than this.
RoCP3-52.Cassius.Adams2_.jpg

Oddly enough, I prefer the original proposal--the taller podium looks more "big city" to me and the tower not quite so tacky. Just remove all those balconies and the design has a classic simplicity to it that appeals to me more than the one being built.

Last edited:
Haha. I'm going to purposely misconstrue the last two posts to imply that UD pretty much likes Success @ Pinnacle. How does that make you feel?

No, that's poor logic. However, Compared to Aura, it may be a Success. The best solution on this site would've been a 4S-style complex, with the master in charge of design.

Also, this first proposal "fits in" with the existing towers around the area better--the 1960-80's apartment buildings nearby. Aura's design belongs in Vancouver.

Also, this first proposal "fits in" with the existing towers around the area better--the 1960-80's apartment buildings nearby. Aura's design belongs in Vancouver.

I'd prefer that we not stick with designs that are inspired by the '60s-'80s. That's why I love Aura -- it has a much more modern and progressive feel.

Yeah. With Aura we could have gotten another box. A tall box, but still a box.
Instead, we have something amazing. And I am definately happy about that.

--WOOHOO! 100TH POST!!!

No, that's poor logic. However, Compared to Aura, it may be a Success. The best solution on this site would've been a 4S-style complex, with the master in charge of design.

Of course it was, I was amusing myself.

Back