Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Actually, College/Barbara Ann Scott Park itself strikes me as having a "ground zeroness" about it, i.e. with its rink, it reminds me of a bomb crater or sink hole for the whole neighbourhood...

Pics from May 7. The rain made it hard to take good pictures but I tried:

Despite the rain, we have updated view of the construction. Thanks for the efforts. Perhaps, when the weather is better, you could pay another visit to the construction site.

Criminy, Steveve, hearing you talk about Ground Zero just made me realize something.

If you're 14 now, then on 9/11, you would have been... a five-year old. For you, there WAS no pre-9/11 world, yet here you are, chatting with us.

Sweet tapdancing Moses. It's finally sinking in that I'm old.

trying not to go off topic but lo!l... i was 5 years old when it happened!.. to be honest with you all, i remember exactly what i was doing/where i was on that day (a few kids in my generation actually cared enough to remember).. (i was kinda mature for my age) i was in grade 1, and all i knew was that the "twin towers" were struck by planes and destroyed.. 9/11 actually introduced me into skyscrapers due to my curiosity of the twin towers, so in a sense they were kinda my introduction to the skyscraper universe :D I still have the Time magazine issue for 9/11! (i plan on keeping it forever as a souvenir or somethin, )

Sadly, i never really went to new york before 9/11 so i never saw the original world trade center in person :(.. but i guess i'll be lucky enough to see the new one(s) built :D

The Aura site is actually really big for downtown (imo), and considering its bordering Yonge street is even more impressive, i can now understand why 2 towers could have been built here but id definetly go for one taller tower than 2..

Anyone have any original photos of the original plan for 2 towers? (and more information regarding them as well such as their heights)

Look into the posts around January 2008 or a bit earlier. There was some discussions about the design review of the current tower and approval by the city. There is a link to the original proposal submitted to the City for approval.

I'm just as excited to see College Park revitalized as I am about the condominium & shopping areas.

Here's all I could find steveve when the proposal was 20 & 60 stories, from the Staff Report dated May 25, 2006

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I'm just as excited to see College Park revitalized as I am about the condominium & shopping areas.

Here's all I could find steveve when the proposal was 20 & 60 stories, from the Staff Report dated May 25, 2006

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

/Also, have a look at post # 34 on page 3. If I can find the article that I have referred to above, I will post a link

dt, lately, you have not posted any pictures of AURA construction site. You seem to be slowing down. Is that so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Note the buildings on the site of Aura in this picture

f366b633.png

Thanks for postin the renders of the old proposal! I actually could have seen this thing work.. it kinda looks like a clash between Hullmark Center and that building they plan to build behind festival tower (21 somethin). With the right cladding, this thing could have gone up anywhere around town :D.. MAN, its such a waste when they scrap old ideas/renders...

dt, lately, you have not posted any pictures of AURA construction site. You seem to be slowing down. Is that so?

cmon now.. he does too many updates for us :D! lol

Note the buildings on the site of Aura in this picture

f366b633.png

Hey! I never knew there were buildings on the site before the parking lot! (i guess i'm not old enough to know).. how old is that picture approximately? (i know its fairly old because "Mr. Submarines" is now "Mr. Sub")

two questions:
1. what year is that pic from? i like it. looks like early eighties.

2. hey, why has nobody welcomed me 'in' or 'aboard' yet? i'm up to 20 posts now! i have feelings here. anybody please.

I woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of heavy dump trucks (but didn't actually get up to see what the bleep was going on) - do they move the soil in the early a.m.?
it was probably the street sweeping trucks, they go along Gerrard at about 4am.

1. early 80's or very late 70's? Trying to base it on the cars, but one of them looks like an 81 or 80 car. Thinking that because my folks had one like that and i was born in 81, and it was there when I got in to the world.
2. Welcome Name! Enjoy the forum!!

Back