Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Yeah...

I just skimmed through part of that article and she does come across as being overly whiny and bitter and her article seems to her way of ranting and I can handle rants but they have to serve a purpose.

Ranting because you wanted to live downtown forever with your views untouched is pure selfishness and her personal attacks and comments about short men and compensating with tall buildings is completely irrevelent and unnecessary.

She absolutely came across as a total bitch. What was even the point of the article? She hates towers, condos, new owners, develpers, seeing developement, short men, etc..

DiManno - I still await a point in her articles.

Anyhoo.
I have to say this project is the most exciting going up so far. I'm sure a lot of you will remember that several years ago Toronto seemed stuck in the 40-45 storey building rut. While most cities would be thrilled to have the sheer number of 40-45 storey towers, I recall we had an extensive debate about why Toronto had yet to get a supertall in the condo boom. There were discussions on the usual topics, and we discussed at length the lower profit based on buildings taller, elevator costs, etc. But in an all-to-pessimistic way, a lot of us concluded that Toronto wasn't going to see a tower of 50 storeys ever again. Over the last few years, this project has gone from mere speculation, to rumour, to proposal, to groundbreaking -- surely something that would not have seemed possible a few years back when we seemed resigned to 40 storey projects. Toronto's condo boom has come of age.

There, DiManno. A short posting with a point. Suck it! :p

May 1, 2010 Update

Okay. I was lucky enough to get over to some construction sites yesterday.. even though it was overcast it didn't really rain :D !

Aura:

Pure EPIC.... The hole has gotten HUGE!... seriously... and the walkway over by the shops at college park is like hanging above the excavation which makes it even more awesome! I never really realized the true scale of this thing till i saw it! I'd like to think of it as the "EPICNESS" of NY's ground zero... Just a huge hole (for toronto)!!! And I LOVE how everyone who passes by stops to take a minute to look down! Glad to see this one getting ALOT of attention!:

***didn't get too many updates for this one...

4570501937_23bcef2ebc_b.jpg

4571142610_43c0493d23_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve :D

Thanks for the amazing pictures. I am quite sure that the hole is going to get even bigger before they start filling it up.

Haha I don't know if it's in the same league as ground zero:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfloryan/2893206655/sizes/l/

But the hole looks a lot more impressive than when I last walked by a month ago! It'll will definitely turn the Yonge-College area which is nothing more than bleh today into one of Toronto's most dynamic intersections:) Really excited to see this rise since I'm in this neighbourhood a lot!

Last edited:
Haha I don't know if it's in the same league as ground zero:

A lesser version but its definitely as huge for toronto! The rate of construction has really surprised me! They're about 3 floors down for the majority of the site! The sound alone from the site is awesome! Alot of work happening! Yonge street near college is such a huge pedestrian/vehicle traffic area that there is no question this skyscraper will change the area! just epic....

I woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of heavy dump trucks (but didn't actually get up to see what the bleep was going on) - do they move the soil in the early a.m.?

I doubt you heard anything related to the construction site. It was probably a garbage truck. Work generally starts at 7am on the nose; the dump trucks will line up on Yonge St. as early as 6:30am, I believe, but definitely not at 4am.

Here's a video i took on Saturday May 1, 2010... Pay attention to the noise level around the site (even though the audio quality isn't that good)... you can tell the amount of work going on around the site! it's probably really annoying to the residences who live in the area/the hotel guests :(

[video=youtube;TqCdnrH9JKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCdnrH9JKk[/video]

vid by me steveve

Construction noise, as they say, goes with the territory.

Just imagine the site after construction is complete. Whole intersection will be changed and there will be Canada's tallest condominium.

Rejoice.

Pics from May 7. The rain made it hard to take good pictures but I tried:

Attachments

• IMG00004-20100507-1430.jpg
    IMG00004-20100507-1430.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG00007-20100507-1432.jpg
    IMG00007-20100507-1432.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00005-20100507-1431.jpg
    IMG00005-20100507-1431.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG00006-20100507-1432.jpg
    IMG00006-20100507-1432.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG00003-20100507-1430.jpg
    IMG00003-20100507-1430.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 191
Criminy, Steveve, hearing you talk about Ground Zero just made me realize something.

If you're 14 now, then on 9/11, you would have been... a five-year old. For you, there WAS no pre-9/11 world, yet here you are, chatting with us.

Sweet tapdancing Moses. It's finally sinking in that I'm old.

Back