Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Mississauga's Big Day!

yyzer

Ok, I just had it listed as Phase IV on my list and I wanted to confirm it as being such.

Re: Mississauga's Big Day Out!

I attended the press conference this morning.

I must say, I haven’t been up the CN Tower since I was kid, and it’s truly spectacular up there! I was so proud and Toronto, Lake Ontario and Mississauga looked fantastic! The place was packed with tourist, surprisingly for a Tuesday morning in March?

I chatted up British and German tourist and the Glass Floor was spectacular! I couldn’t walk on it as I was screaming and was holding on to my friend as these Mexican students couldn’t stop laughing at me.

This design competition has created a buzz not only with Mississauga residents, but in the GTA, and even across the world. When people start talking and debating about architecture, it can only be a good thing for the future of design and our cities.

As for the press conference, it was a proud moment for Mississauga, the Mayor opened an envelope and you can sense her excitement!

We heard that they consulted three groups; 6000 members of the public who voted online and at Square One, Real Estate Agents from the GTA, Canada and around the World and International Jury Panel. All three groups came to a unanimous choice.

When the Mayor announced Yansong Ma was the winner, there was a huge roar of approval in the room! I was ecstatic!

I guess Mississauga proved many of you wrong and we didn't go with the Zeidler design!

The architect and his team appeared from a side room and the media went crazy!

There were several asian media outlets in attendance.

Question asked:

Q. How much for a unit?

A. 200,000 + for a one bedroom

Q. How much is the building?

A. $100 - $110 million

Q. Sales and Construction

A. Sales this summer, ground breaking in 2007, construction 2008, move in 2009.

Q. Will people pay a premium even it’s not in downtown Toronto?

A. Yes they will pay a premium, they will be living in a landmark building unique to the world.

Q. Will the building actually look like that?

A. The design has “evolved†but the spirit remains. (There were huge panels on display in the back, it will look truly spectacular both day and night)

Q. What was your inspiration for the design?

A. The public seems to like to compare it to a “sexy womenâ€

Q. What other amenities will it include?

A. Ground floor retail, cafés, bar, water fountain.

Other notes:

I was speaking to a structural engineer who is working on the project, he actually outlined to me how the building will be built and hold up – support columns etc…it was truly spectacular, especially lit up at night!

I spoke and congratulated the architect and his team. He was really young, bright and his Chinese partners were beaming! I was so happy for them! They all love Mississauga!

I spoke with City Staff in charge of Placemaking in attendance; they want to ensure that the building meets the intersection nicely and that there is active ground floor retail. A large spectacular water fountain is proposed for the entrance of the tower.

I spoke with John Bentley from the Globe and Mail. He was really pleased with this selection, he was rooting for this design and he said this was fantastic for Mississauga!

Finally, I spoke with my friend Hazel. We actually shared a chocolate croissant together as we both didn’t eat breakfast. She was really pleased with the design and she said this is just the beginning! We are only getting started in Mississauga.

We have selected a landmark building that will put us on the world map for international design. We have raised the bar for architecture and design for our City Centre. Great day for Mississauga and for the future of our City Centre!

Louroz

Congratulations to all.

Now the real fun begins with what buyers want to spend, what they demand, and what can be built with the budget.

Should make for some interesting times.

Regardless, I haven't felt this hopeful for Mississauga in a long while.

Until such time as jpegs are available, you can check out the reworked Ma design on CFTO's web page by playing the Dana Levenson video. YOu have to wait many minutes for it to get to her report - it starts with several other stories first.

toronto.ctv.ca/

I'd expect the Absolute site to have pretty pictures available by tomorrow mornine.

Press release...

www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2006/28/c6801.html

Yansong Ma wins competition to design Absolute tower

MISSISSAUGA, ON, March 28 /CNW/ - Yansong Ma, founder of the MAD office,
Beijing/China architectural design firm, has been named winner of the
international competition to design the landmark condominium tower at the new
Absolute Community in the heart of Mississauga.
His spectacular design for a 50-storey residential tower was selected
from among six finalists. Those finalists were drawn from entrants, which
covered all continents except Antarctica. The as yet unnamed tower will rise
from the northeast corner of Burnhamthorpe Road and Hurontario Street in the
heart of Mississauga, Canada's seventh largest city.
"We are enormously pleased with the results of this competition," says
Danny Salvatore, president of Fernbrook Homes, partners with Cityzen
Development Group in the newly planned residential community. "Yansong Ma's
vision is breathtaking. This tower will become an instant icon and an
international landmark.
"We believe this competition and this new tower will significantly raise
design standards within the residential industry. We have brought the world's
best and brightest to Mississauga."
While the competition was fierce, Mr. Ma's submission topped the list
among three groups asked to judge the six finalists, says Sam Crignano,
principal in Cityzen Group.
"It was first choice among our 9-member international expert judging
panel. It was the favourite for the 6,000 people who cast ballots at an
exhibit in Mississauga's Square One during the past month and it was number
one among brokers and agents invited to comment on which design they found
best suited to buyers' needs," he says.
Mr. Ma's role will be conceptual design with hands on work remaining in
the hands of a local architectural firm. Sales will begin this May with
construction to start late this year or early next and completion slated for
30 months after start of construction.
Mr. Ma is no stranger to awards recognizing his talent and skill as a
world-class designer. His practice spans the globe with projects in the United
States, China, Dubai and now in Canada. A graduate of the Yale University
School of Architecture, he won the Samuel L. Fogelson Memorial Award for
Design Excellence, an AIA scholarship for Advanced Architectural Research in
2001 plus numerous international design awards including 1st prize at the
Shanghai Modern Art Park Competition, 1st prize at the Net+Bar conceptual
competition and 1st prize at the Maple Bay Tourist Centre competition. His
floating island design for the rebuilding of New York's World Trade Center was
exhibited at the Beijing Architectural Biennale and made part of the permanent
collection of the National Museum of China. In addition, an announcement was
made just last week that he received The Architecture League of New York,
Young Architects Award for 2006.
Current projects include a variety of residential communities, museums,
cultural centres, office towers and master plans.
"The scope of Mr. Ma's work is breathtaking," says Mr. Salvatore. "His
genius as a designer is evident. We are enormously pleased to have played a
role in bringing to Mississauga an enduring landmark project, which places the
city on par with great international centres such as Shanghai and New York."

"We are enormously pleased to have played a role in bringing to Mississauga an enduring landmark project, which places the city on par with great international centres such as Shanghai and New York."

I'm ecstatic that Ma was chosen, but let's not get carried away :)

50 storeys and 500 ft.wasnt the original proposal taller?

The original design for Ma's tower was 62 floors. I am not surprised or disappointed at all that the height has been reduced. Mississauga can't support a tower that tall and the reduced height of 500ft is still pretty damn high... there are no existing buildings in Mississauga that even come close.

The other changes to the design are definately good though. The base now has a fountain and retail uses and overall it looks a lot nicer.

Finally, I spoke with my friend Hazel. We actually shared a chocolate croissant together as we both didn’t eat breakfast.

I am dissapointed that they could not afford to spring for a croissant for each of you. Times are tough when you have to share with Haxel.

She was really pleased with the design and she said this is just the beginning! We are only getting started in Mississauga.

I hope this means taller and better are yet to come. Or is she playing the ever-optomistic mayor?

She was really pleased with the design and she said this is just the beginning! We are only getting started in Mississauga.

I hope this means taller and better are yet to come. Or is she playing the ever-optomistic mayor?

Well it's nice she finally decided to get started after almost 30 years in office ;)

That's my favorite design, but this thing won't be putting Missassauga on the map anytime soon. It almost seems like a waste of a great design to me. It should be downtown, not out in the burbs.

^ Good design is not a zero-sum game. No reason developers in Toronto can't be encouraged to be more thoughtful, and stuff like this should actually help do just that.

That's my favorite design, but this thing won't be putting Missassauga on the map anytime soon. It almost seems like a waste of a great design to me. It should be downtown, not out in the burbs.

Can't demand better from the suburbs and then argue they don't deserve it when they raise the bar. This is a step in the right direction for Mississauga and condo development in general.

Back