Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Mississauga's Big Day Out!

This will do for Mississauga what the TD Centre did for Hogtown forty years ago - dominate the skyline with an iconic building that challenges the city to continually match it in terms of innovative design quality.

In that light, is it not rather smug to say that this is the kind of building that should only exist in downtown Toronto?

Look around, downtown, at how much second rate architecture has gone up since the TD Centre was built. Did we, post-TD Centre, rise to the challenge that Mississauga will face?

Re: Architects from 70 Countries bidding for Absolute Projec

"Mississauga can't support a tower that tall"

Why not?

Because there is not enough public transit. Where would they fit all the parking space required for 62 story building?

Too many people using their cars and there is no room for new riders on MT's overcrowded buses, even if people actually wanted to use the system.

So the area can support fifty 35 storey towers but one 60 storey tower is just too much? Yeah...

Mississauga's Big Day Out!

main.jpg

Louroz

Look around, downtown, at how much second rate architecture has gone up since the TD Centre was built. Did we, post-TD Centre, rise to the challenge that Mississauga will face?

Though arguably, the TD Centre spawned a less galling class of wannabes in the neighbourhood than the Seagram did. (Or maybe it's just Toronto being Toronto.)

FutureMayor:

Which section will your Mayoral office be in? Waist? Boobs? Ass?

^ The starting prices of it are pretty low overall. I expect Fernbrook is probably just trying to break-even on this tower instead of using it as a big money maker, so that way they have a landmark tower to always refer to and gloat(?) about. I was talking to some friends who do some work for Fernbrook and appearently after the contest finalists were announced the sales made a huge jump. The first tower has two suites left, the second is about 90-95% sold and the third tower's sales are strong right now.

Considering this is Fernbrook's first condo project, I still expect they're trying to make the money off the four other towers/townhomes and are using the landmark as the media-buzz tower.

Which section will your Mayoral office be in? Waist? Boobs? Ass?

bb, you know I'm not much of a boob kinda guy, however in this case I might enjoy being near the top!

I've already talked to my future roommate about buying a one bedroom unit. (I think that's all we could afford together) I would get the bedroom and he would get the livingroom!

I am dissapointed that they could not afford to spring for a croissant for each of you. Times are tough when you have to share with Haxel.

Mr. Ottawa, there was tons of food and drinks on tap, however Hazel and I wanted to watch our diets, got to keep the figure ya know? We attend too many of these press things and too many carbs is no good!

I hope this means taller and better are yet to come. Or is she playing the ever-optomistic mayor?

Absolutely! All that and and LRT up Hurontario to come! If Ottawa doesn't hurry up, Mississauga might even build and LRT before you.

Good point bb!

The original design for Ma's tower was 62 floors. I am not surprised or disappointed at all that the height has been reduced.

doady, the plan always called for a 50 storey condo tower. This will be a major milestone for Mississauga, we will be the first city out of dowtown Toronto to have a 50 storey tower. How many other Canadian cities have a 50 storey tower? And Mississauga will not have one, but TWO 50 storey towers in the near future.

Because there is not enough public transit. Where would they fit all the parking space required for 62 story building?

Mississauga is moving full steam ahead with an LRT along Hurontario, right at the door step of this new tower. Also there is tons of space for parking for a tower. As a matter of fact the Mississauga Executive Centre right next door is building a parking deck on what is currently a surface lot.

Louroz

Babel: It would have to be a "home office"! Perhaps even mayors can get away with that now!

Doady: Why so pessimistic? I thought you were very much into transit particularly in Miss. Who says that transit can't serve this place, at one of the busiest intersections in Mississauga? Put a route 202 express stop at the front door!

I think this is a super-duper step forward. I certainly agree that the bar has been raised. On the day the original finalists were unveiled, I remember remarking to several people incl. one or two members of this forum that I thought this was the most striking design, a true icon. However I didn't think it would actually get built. I anticipated that the cost of construction would be too high for the market to bear. Glad to be proven wrong, and I will certainly look forward to watching this go up.

Obs. Walt

Well, it isn't the day to rain on the parade! But I have some concern over the actual construction as well - first, MAD doesn't really have many built projects in NA, and they're actually playing a design consultant role, their vision could very well be subordinated to the project architect (and gawd knows the possiblity that they could butcher the scheme).

There is also the issue of the per square foot cost as well, vis-a-vis sales and location. Buyers who are design conscious probably aren't the type who'd get a condo out in the burbs just for the sake of it, when the attendant neighbourhood amenities aren't there.

AoD

Mr. Ottawa, there was tons of food and drinks on tap, however Hazel and I wanted to watch our diets, got to keep the figure ya know? We attend too many of these press things and too many carbs is no good!

If you guys are watching your diets then even half a chocolate croissant is bad..and skipping your breakfast isn't good either.

You should be taking better care of Hazel! :)

I forgot to mention, the base of this tower doesn't look too bad. Another storey or two might be good though.

^ Actually I love the building but hate the low podium. Five or ten floors would be my ideal.

Great news. A pleasant surprise that the most ordinary yet attractive building wasn't picked. It will look great on the skyline. Next up a street level urban design competition for the City Centre area?

Back