Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Architects from 70 Countries bidding for Absolute Projec

I agree that the street presence of the tower will have to be worked out, but I think the design is so "sculptural" that just adding a big massive podium at the base would ruin it. I actually like the way that the street presence is shown in the aerial rendering... a separate building that surrounds the base of the tower. It lets the tower keep its "sculptural" characteristic, while at the same time providing some degree of street presence.

I think a podium could ruin the whole project. Podiums in general tend to make passer-by not even aware of the tower at all. This is alright for an architecturally-uninspired building, but unsuited for this one. The new Fordham Spire in Chicago is now forgoing a podium altogether, so one's eyes can be drawn to the tower itself. Besides, these podiums never really offer anything new. Another Starbucks, another Rabba's, another overpriced restaurant...there are more than enough of those around as it is.

The argument of the presence of podiums equating to architectural inferiority is bogus. For example, the Commerzbank HQ in Frankfort by Foster and Partners has a strong podium structure of around 5s - and yet it is architecturally inspired and fits into the urban fabric.

Regarding the matter of visibility, landmarks such as taller towers are best located along visual corridors as terminus, than merely located against just any stretch of the street - and in this instance, the corner of Burnhamthrope and Hurontario would have been a far superior choice.

As to the comment that podiums offers nothing new - it offers some sense of spatial enclosure from the pedestrian perspective, which is also a goal of the current MCC placemaking exercise.

AoD

For me it depends entirely on the design of the podium as well as the context of the building. One design for a podium might look superd while another might be crap even though its in the same location. It's all about scale and design.

"The argument of the presence of podiums equating to architectural inferiority is bogus."

That's not what I was arguing. The podium itself can look nice and all, but a podium can make pedestrians unaware that there even is a tower in some cases (though not necessarily this case). I don't think this site needs to be "enclosed". I think this intersection could use a gathering place, which it does not have at the moment.

I still maintain that podiums offer nothing new.

What does a highrise meeting the street offer that a podium does not? Doesn't his have entirely to do with the context of the building?

That's not what I was arguing. The podium itself can look nice and all, but a podium can make pedestrians unaware that there even is a tower in some cases (though not necessarily this case). I don't think this site needs to be "enclosed". I think this intersection could use a gathering place, which it does not have at the moment.

Based on the renderings, there will be room for a gathering place with a podium.

I don't see how a podium will ruin this development at all; it's a necessity. The purpose of the building is to fit into the urban context (and in this case help create one), not to simply be a showpiece for people to look at. A tower/development of this nature, no matter how stunning, that doesn't provide for a pleasing pedestrian experience is a failure.

Pedestrians are unaware of towers unless they look up - towers are generally to something to be perceived from afar. As to the matter of the site need no enclosure - you could disagree with the desirablity of such, but I believe the current urban design exercise ongoing at MCC, specifically, in making it for a place to be, considers that as a critical issue.

What does a highrise meeting the street offer that a podium does not? Doesn't his have entirely to do with the context of the building?

It isn't just high rise vs. podium - but the siting of the high rise, the "strength" (or height) of the podium, and all these variables in relationship to the desired urban design outcome. A weak podium in an open expanse (which Hurontario is) would give one the feeling of exposure - similiar to walking along a big box store, for example.

AoD

"I don't see how a podium will ruin this development at all; it's a necessity."

Do you think a podium is a necessity with every building, or are you just saying it's a necessity here? The TD Centre has no podium, and it's far more interesting IMO than Scotia Plaza for example, which does have one.

I used to live down the street from there, and I think a podium would just make people feel to close to Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. I like walking down those streets, but many people don't like how wide they are, and how much traffic there is. They feel too much like highways to them.

If the podium is designed imaginatively to echo the tower ( if, say, it snakes and undulates ) it might work nicely - extending the character of the building outwards and using the same materials to create a visually themed environment like Park Guell.

If the tower rises from a "windswept plaza" of the kind that everyone has been running in fear of for the past twenty years it might also work, just as Commerce Court does.

If the tower rises from a pomo mock French Chateau base housing shops, offices and parking ... I think not.

Actually I has hoping she would rise from a "pile of clothes" sorta podium. Not pretty but certainly appropriate and engaging.

Or a "bearskin rug" kind of podium
imageNYR10203282048.jpg

RE: Spear-carriers

Britney farting (or birthing) is not my absolute vision. That's little more than sprawl.

I'm talkin' tall, statuesque, slightly drunk... and her dress falls to the floor.

Before she does.

That's a podium. One she deserves to stand on. All in colour.

A breath of fresh air in design, i can breath again, we need more feminine curvy soft natural organic buildings that flow with ease into the sky. No more box industrial sharp straight bland buildings reflecting a Patriarchal era. I wanna see buildings that blur the line between earth and man made structure , inspired by a rising female force to balance our visual mental and physical intake. :)

Back