Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Architects from 70 Countries bidding for Absolute Projec

re: Britney

That's a position for gettin' a baby.

Curvy Tower to Help Remake Town Near Toronto

April 12, 2006

A twisting and undulating tower designed by Beijing-based MAD Architectural Design Studio has won a competition for a 50-story condominium in Mississauga, Ontario, a fairly nondescript town on Toronto’s western flank, whose population is about 700,000. A nine-member panel of architects, urban planners and urban design experts, as well as 6,000 ballot-casting residents, chose the winning design.

The still-unnamed $114 million concrete-and-glass condo promises to be one of Canada’s most adventurous-looking buildings. This is ironic for a city whose main architectural credits are its aging civic and performing arts centers, central library and the Pearson International Airport. Mississauga was a low-rise bedroom community for Toronto, but recently began sprouting office towers, businesses, industrial parks and high-rise condos.

Toronto-based developers Fernbrook Homes and Cityzen Development Group say construction will be under way within six months. They have hired Burka Varacalli Architects, a Toronto firm, as MAD’s local partner. The Canadian firm has already has three condos under construction in Mississauga’s city center.

The developers say that when the high-rise is completed in 2010 the it will be the flagship for their five-tower “Absolute Community.†It is the first project for MAD in Canada, which has has an office in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and is also busy in China and Dubai. MAD principal Yansong Ma, a Yale School of Architecture graduate, told the Toronto-based Globe and Mail: "My work has always tried to develop something more organic, more close to nature. We are doing museums, all kinds of projects, but high-rises have close relations with technology and culture. High-rises are landmarks of culture."

Albert Warson

060412toronto1.jpg

060412toronto2.jpg

Thanks for the post ganjavih. Normally I check the Architectural Record site several times a day for news, but I guess I was too busy today to check!

Interesting selection of renderings for the article, showing the initial competition design and the revised winning design. The initial design has "pointier" edges and the top seems to be quite nicely done. That little podium looks more urban than in the revised design. I think the initial is actually better than the revised.

Read the tone of the writer of the article on Mississauga. Is this an indicator of how non-GTA people view the city, or is this person just an anti-Mississauga ex-Torontonian or something?

Mississsauga has got to be the world's largest "town" with a population of over 700,000 people.

Louroz

Louroz you're going to need a tougher skin if you want to become mayor.

Is this an indicator of how non-GTA people view the city, or is this person just an anti-Mississauga ex-Torontonian or something?

How do non-GTA people view Mississauga? I doubt they think about it at all.

^ That's true. The only people who aren't anti-Mississauga are the ones who haven't heard of it yet. People either hate Mississauga, or are going to hate Mississauga and what happens in MCC is never going to change that fact so it really doesn't matter what people think.

^ you're entitled to your opinion that doesn't mean other people have the same opinion.

Like many other people I'm exctied by this project and what is happening in MCC.

I really don't understand the snotty hostility held against Mississauga and MCC by so many downtowners. There are a variety of different urban, suburban and rural models of living. Not everyone should have to conform to some elitist urban utopia nor would everyone want to.

I live downtown, but respect what Mississuaga is trying to accomplish around MCC. It is certainly interesting watching it evolve very quickly.

I really don't understand the snotty hostility held against Mississauga and MCC by so many downtowners.

Because at the end of the day its still a mall surrounded by a bunch of highrises. Maybe in 5 or 50 years it will be urban. As of today it isn't.

Another way to look at it. How different is MCC really from STC or Sheppard and Don Mills? All three are malls surrounded by highrises, cul de sacs and not much else. And yet there aren't crowds of people on this forum extolling the great urban virtues of STC or Fairview Mall, though in their defence at least they have excellent public transit connections. I'd argue that if we had members constantly talking about how great SCC or Fairview were, as we have with MCC, that you'd hear the same snotty hostility that pops up on occassion about MCC.

Respect and Support for Mississauga

Of course it isn't urban, however we have to start somewhere and this landmark design is one step towards the goal of becoming an urban centre for Mississauga.

I strongly believe it is unfair of you to throw MCC in with Sheppard/STC.

There are clear differences and I'm proud to say that with MCC we are actually making a concentrated effort to becoming an urban core.

Even with the lack of true rapid transit connections to MCC, we are several years ahead of either Sheppard/STC.

We are moving forward by investing in our civic spaces, encouraging mixed used/density development and are committed to building new rapid transit connections with the BRT and LRT.

I'm not asking you to proclaim that MCC is currently the suburban transformation success story, I'm asking you to give it a chance to develop, and instead of downplaying and mocking our growing enthusiasm, help celebrate our key movements towards our urban vision.

The bottomline is Mississauga is looking for respect and support. The Toronto media is finally on board, it's only a matter of time that the average Toronto citizen wakes up to the fact that Mississauga isn't just not another suburb of Toronto.

Louroz

"Another way to look at it. How different is MCC really from STC or Sheppard and Don Mills? All three are malls surrounded by highrises, cul de sacs and not much else."

At least Mississauga is trying to make it better - STC is just getting worse, filling every remaining plot of land with big box stores.

it's only a matter of time that the average Toronto citizen wakes up to the fact that Mississauga isn't just not another suburb of Toronto.

As a native and resident I'm also excited about the development MCC, but while it may not be *just* another Toronto suburb, it will always be *a* Toronto suburb in some form--and there's nothing wrong with that. It's all basically "Toronto" anyway and these distinctions are purely local.

That said, for the first time I'm definitely perceiving a change of course and I agree there are lots of reasons to be optimistic about Mississauga's future.

"Because at the end of the day its still a mall surrounded by a bunch of highrises. Maybe in 5 or 50 years it will be urban. As of today it isn't."

I really don't see how that's a negative. When I lived in MCC I found that for 90% of the people, the last thing they want for MCC is for it to resemble Toronto, or an older city core. If that's what they wanted, they wouldn't have moved there in the first place.

I really don't see how that's a negative. When I lived in MCC I found that for 90% of the people, the last thing they want for MCC is for it to resemble Toronto, or an older city core.

Then why the recent push to make MCC urban, I wonder?

I don't think that push is coming from most of the residents who choose to live there. They could easily afford to live in an "urban" area if they wanted to - even if it's just Port Credit.

Back