Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Mississauga Effect!

from the mississauga news, here's a photo of Yansong Ma..

1687.jpg

<descending scale> Wha-wha-wha-whaaaa </descending scale>

Anyway, here's another proud admirer of Ma's design
red_hot_riding_facial.jpg

Now, don't let Issac Mizrahi anywhere near Mississauga
johansson-boob-squeeze.jpg

Some astute assessments by John Bentley Mays from the Globe:

THE PERFECT HOUSE: ARCHITECTURE

Bravo for Mississauga -- with a tiny caveat
Choosing architect Yansong Ma's curvaceous skyscraper for the Absolute project was a gutsy move. Let's hope that mutters of 'change' don't wind up diluting the artistic integrity of the design

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

For observers of architecture (including this one) who like a bit of fun and flash along with architecture's usual high seriousness, the outcome of the international competition for Mississauga's Absolute tower, announced Tuesday, was generally pleasant news.

Just not absolutely pleasant. But I'll get to my reservations later on. First, the good news.

In a juried contest among six finalists, Chinese-American architect Yansong Ma won the $125,000 prize with a curvaceous skyscraper, reminiscent of a tight dress with Marilyn Monroe inside.

The project is unusual and charming, and it embodies healthy tendencies in contemporary skyscraper design: a readiness to experiment with skins and surfaces, for example, and a yearning to be free at last from the up-and-down stiffness of the modernist tall building style. (Mr. Ma, who is a native of Beijing and now lives there, is a veteran of the distinguished architectural program at Yale University.)

"My work has always tried to develop something more organic, more close to nature," Mr. Ma told me. He conceives of his work as a critique of 20th-century modernism's boxes.

"They were not flexible enough, they are very close to the industrial revolution. Social relations have more complexity, so we need more complexity in this building. We are doing museums, all kinds of projects, but high rises have close relations with technology and culture. High-rises are landmarks of culture."

These are the earnest thoughts of an emerging architect -- the Absolute commission will be Mr. Ma's first built work outside China -- and they speak well of the process that has brought this designer into our midst. So much, in other words, for early fears that the entire competition exercise was merely so much hype and hustle by its organizers, Fernbrook Homes and Cityzen Development Group, co-developers of the Absolute site. The gathering of 92 entries from 70 countries, the winnowing of that large number down to six finalists, and the choice of Mr. Ma was the convincing work of a credible jury composed of developers, architects and urban planners. If the developers sell a few more condominiums because they invested in an interesting design competition, and picked one of the most imaginative proposals to come their way (instead of going with the tried and true), that's definitely no more than they deserve.

Mr. Ma now gets to go back into his studios -- he operates one in Ann Arbor, Mich., and another in Beijing -- and draw off detailed plans for the 50-storey, 450-suite residential high-rise in Mississauga's multitower Absolute project. (Construction is set to begin next year.)

Meanwhile, we get to wait and see if the developers let his skyscraper keep the verve and swing that come across in the illustrations that helped win Mr. Ma win the contest.

At this week's ceremonial unveiling of the results -- Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion did the honours -- there was some muttering from the developers (too much of for my liking) about impending "changes." Some changes in the course of realizing the design are inevitable, but none should be made that disturb the artistic integrity and enlightened playfulness that make Mr. Ma's building attractive.

At least one change, however, would be welcome. It has to do with the podium. As represented in the competition drawing, the base of the tower looks like a pedestal for a piece of statuary, with one very grand entrance and no other visible relationship with the urban context. Perhaps Mr. Ma was too busy designing his highly theatrical tower to pay adequate attention to its platform -- but neglect of something as important as the building's physical connection to the urban fabric is an ominous sign.

This failing suggests, among other things, that the jury's mind was less on issues of urban design than on effect, costumery, look-at-me visual flair. (I'm not saying those dramatic things aren't important. But neither are they the be-all and end-all of what makes a building work.)

Such inattention to context would be bothersome anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area, but in Mississauga, it's downright deplorable.

After decades of being ravaged by typical suburban sprawl, Mississauga deeply needs the kind of patient architecture that heals and makes whole the damaged textures of the city. If Mississauga gets a "landmark" out of this competition, that's fine.

We surely need symbols as urgently as we need food. But we can hope that, as Mr. Ma proceeds into the design phase of his tower, he will bring to the urbanism of his project the same high-spirited energy he's lavished on its sass.

jbmays@globeandmail.com

AoD

I like this a lot. It is way out of the box for Canada and very remarkable. I hope TO based developers are taking notice, and I hope it sells like Ralph Klein hotcakes on stampede sunday.

This is what I wish Stintson had the guts to do with Sapphire. Instead we will be left with something bland and unremarkable.

I recently had a look at MAD's book of projects. They haven't built much, but it's full of great renderings. Not a straight line anywhere.

Their twisting Lighting Tower ( to be completed this year, according to the book ) in Tianjin, China, is virtually identical to the Mississauga tower. It appears to be a light filled homage to electricity, a landmark rather than an inhabited building. But tall!

Another Chinese project, Guangzhou Twin Towers, consists of two big undulating wormy towers, again similar to Mississauga's, that loop over and join at the top and rub bloated bellies in the middle. Like earthworm sex.

And there's Changsha Culture Park, a competition winner, which looks like a huge slice of flatfish in a fish shop, with the edges chopped off to reveal blood red cuts.

And there are several stumpy and mean looking "Viewmaster / Robocop" buildings ( Guangzhou Sun Plaza and Guangdong Science Center in China for instance ) that remind me of Hadid's design for the Art Gallery of Alberta - which isn't surprising since Ma worked for Hadid.

In regards to Sapphire - Cassius's last renderings looked rather intriguing: multifaceted sides, a wedge shaped top, potentially multicoloured glazing. We still have to see what an architect does with that, but at least it's promising...

Thanks interchange42. There has been a number of changes to the design since then though. Some elements have remained while other's have been changed. For better or for worse I'm not sure yet since it's still a work in progress.

I'm jelous! Why can't we get towers like this at Bloor and Younge, or anywhere in downtown Toronto, for that matter? I hope it starts a trend. NO MORE PRE-CAST, CONCREAT BOXES!!!

Just drove by the site a minute ago, and Fernbrook already has a large billboard at the intersection of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe promoting sales for the condo.

I can't wait until it's under construction, I'll be able to see it raise from outside my bedroom window!

I still can't get over the fact many of you basically condemned the entire absolute project as just another "gated community" in Mississauga. I suppose you didn't think it would be the most groundbreaking project in Mississauga's history!

Louroz

FM:

I still can't get over the fact many of you basically condemned the entire absolute project as just another "gated community" in Mississauga. I suppose you didn't think it would be the most groundbreaking project in Mississauga's history!

There is a difference between architectural expression and planning merit. JBM's article in the Globe eluded to that point quite well, actually.

At least one change, however, would be welcome. It has to do with the podium. As represented in the competition drawing, the base of the tower looks like a pedestal for a piece of statuary, with one very grand entrance and no other visible relationship with the urban context. Perhaps Mr. Ma was too busy designing his highly theatrical tower to pay adequate attention to its platform -- but neglect of something as important as the building's physical connection to the urban fabric is an ominous sign.

This failing suggests, among other things, that the jury's mind was less on issues of urban design than on effect, costumery, look-at-me visual flair. (I'm not saying those dramatic things aren't important. But neither are they the be-all and end-all of what makes a building work.)

Such inattention to context would be bothersome anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area, but in Mississauga, it's downright deplorable.

After decades of being ravaged by typical suburban sprawl, Mississauga deeply needs the kind of patient architecture that heals and makes whole the damaged textures of the city. If Mississauga gets a "landmark" out of this competition, that's fine.

We surely need symbols as urgently as we need food. But we can hope that, as Mr. Ma proceeds into the design phase of his tower, he will bring to the urbanism of his project the same high-spirited energy he's lavished on its sass.

AoD

I totally agree with you, esplanade guy. I sincerely hope that Toronto will see towers like these erected in it's city. It's time for Toronto to stop playing it safe and try innovative buildings like this. I think Absolute would fit in much better with the skyscrapers already in Toronto and the Rogers Center.

Back