Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Re: Architects from 70 Countries bidding for Absolute Projec

^The Florida market might well be among the bigger bubbles in North America.

I like the design and as you can clearly see it has already been rationalized from the original rendering so I think it stands to reason the form won't change much. Regional precedent really matters in design and construction so hopefully this is the start of a strong drive towards more interesting projects.

Re: Mississauga's Big Day Out!

Judging based on the redering above, I'm not liking the top at all. It's almost as if they chopped off the head.
I was expecting the top portion to have an oval finish, similar to that of an egg.

Re: Mississauga's Big Day Out!

Even if it did, you wouldn't notice it from street level. From street level you will see the curvature of the top of the building which will be as effective as a rounded egg-shaped dome.

I still think the winning design should have been a vodka bottle, sponsored by Absolut, but this'll do...very nice. I liked the old base, though, with what looked like sloping glass atria and stuff.

Once the developer community understands that people are looking for something elegant and different, another nail will be hammered into Tridel's bland architecture coffin.

Tridel is dead. Long live tRiDeL

"Once the developer community understands that people are looking for something elegant and different, another nail will be hammered into Tridel's bland architecture coffin."

Or not...lots of people simply don't care.

Building Babel,

The fact they are cutting the top horizontally really destroys the image of the tower regardless of the vantage point. The curvature is absolutely needed to pull this tower off, if not it will look unfinished.

Imagine the newly built SwissRE tower in London with a flat top.

Once the developer community understands that people are looking for something elegant and different, another nail will be hammered into Tridel's bland architecture coffin.

Tridel is dead. Long live tRiDeL

Mr. Ottawa - Tridel is the most successful condo builder in the GTA for a number of reasons. When buying a condo design can certainly be one of the factors but there are many many others.

An armchair urban critic can point at Tridels bland buildings, but if you or many other people of this forum were actually out looking for condos many would put Tridel near the top of their list due to their excellent after sales service record (They won the Tarion Highrise Award of Excellence again this year), Tridel's excellent energy efficiency and green programs (the naturally better program makes them the most innovative condo builder in Ontario when it comes to energy efficiency) and their affordable quality units are hard to beat. Tridel is also widely known for including top notch amenities in their buildings. It should also be pointed on on MLS listings Tridel is usually named in the listing since people associate Tridel with quality and lasting value.

While I'd love to see Tridel raise the bar in terms of design (not everything they design is terrible - Element seems to be turning out well). Tridel does a lot of other things very very well which is why they are an industry leader and consistently sell more units than any other condo builder in the GTA (perhaps Canada - I'm not too familiar with the Vancouver market)

"Once the developer community understands that people are looking for something elegant and different, another nail will be hammered into Tridel's bland architecture coffin."

I'd bet there are many that will think this too far out or even ugly for their taste. After all, French Quarter got a lot support last year during some poll.

905: The images of Ma's building going into competition didn't show a domed top - why does it need one now? SwissRe is a symmetrical pickle; this thing is asymmetrical, it twists, curves and narrows in the middle and has a different visual dynamic.

The project will look unfinished to me lest they scrape a crater out of the ground and curve the bottom of the tower like an egg, with the whole building balancing on an highly polished obsidian boulder. I will accept nothing less.

Reinventing this building as a neatly contained domed structure, with a finite conclusion at the top, fails to do it justice.

The energy of the thing twists and spirals upwards into the sky beyond - the truncated top is part of what makes it work, surely?

Maybe put something like this up top
beanyco.gif

Mississauga Effect!

Loved the glowing reviews of the tower selection and design in all the major papers today!

There is a buzz in Mississauga. People are talking on the streets even my younger sister who is totally clueless about things.

Can't wait for the groundbreaking ceremonies!

Louroz

Back