Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I hope they redevelop the Altus building into something more attractive, while keeping the vista in mind. The building is so bland, that it detracts from the character of the area.
I'd rather see Berczy Park expanded over its footprint.

I'd rather see Berczy Park expanded over its footprint.

It would be good to have more green space in the core--especially near busy intersections.

We're talking about one of the finest locations in the core. It would cost the city a lot of money to acquire that property. But at some point, the core is going to get so crowded with both residents and commuters that people are going to demand it.

Cost the city an insane amount of money. One Bloor East or Wellesey on the Park would have been bargain basement by comparison. Not in our lifetime.

What if it's a building that has a bridge that blends Berczy park into the roof garden of a new structure? It would make for a wonderful raised vantage point hanging over Yonge st.

Kind of like how Nathan Phillips Square has that ramp to the elevated area, but imagine it over Scott St, and lush with greenery.

Windows in the tower portion have started to appear

thSQVj3.jpg

pDRBjvO.jpg

What if it's a building that has a bridge that blends Berczy park into the roof garden of a new structure? It would make for a wonderful raised vantage point hanging over Yonge st.

The Altus building actually has a second level outdoor area that runs the south length of the building but I'm not if it still is open to the public.

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.57 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,587
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.00.39 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,468
Cost the city an insane amount of money. One Bloor East or Wellesey on the Park would have been bargain basement by comparison. Not in our lifetime.

The Spacing Analysis offers some insight:

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2015/04/13/parks-in-crisis-part-1-all-built-up-and-no-place-to-go/

The best I could see is opportunistic, incremental growth of some existing parklands, as well as new space along the lines of Wellesley on the Park. At this point, it should be less about having new parks but more about raising the quality of the space. In the case of Berczy, should 33 Yonge get redeveloped the negotiations could trade density for an additional public space east of Scott St.

AoD

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2015/04/13/parks-in-crisis-part-1-all-built-up-and-no-place-to-go/

The best I could see is opportunistic, incremental growth of some existing parklands, as well as new space along the lines of Wellesley on the Park. At this point, it should be less about having new parks but more about raising the quality of the space. In the case of Berczy, should 33 Yonge get redeveloped the negotiations could trade density for an additional public space east of Scott St.

AoD

For sure. I just don't know if there is any cause for a developer to do such a trade here. Won't happen anyways.

The facade must be near end of life though. Would surprise me to see the atrium filled in as part of a refurbishment.

AoD

I could not agree with this more!

Toronto apparently has 1500 parks -- I'm not sure how many are in the city, but I don't get this push for parkland with every development. It's silly.

We do not need any more parks or parkland... we need to enhance what currently exists, as for the most part they are pretty sad.

What's wrong with travelling to a park?

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.53.32 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.53.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.53.32 PM.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 689
I do not agree whatsoever that we have all the parkland we need. Yes, we've got to improve what we've got—the parks budget definitely needs a boost—but there need to be parks within a couple minutes walk of every major building so that at lunch times, for example, office workers, retail workers, etc., can pour out of the buildings and find somewhere pleasant and accommodating to sit down and enjoy a half hour in the fresh air, or what have you. Downtown has a few such spaces but is otherwise starved for them, and every redevelopment of any size (larger than the floor plate of a single tower+ podium) should normally set land aside to deal with this.

Agreed that we need both improvement of parks (and all areas of the public realm for that matter) as well as new park spaces. Also, how many of those parks are parkettes? Hardly, "getting away from it all" when you're in a parkette next to the Gardiner for example.

I could not agree with this more!

Toronto apparently has 1500 parks -- I'm not sure how many are in the city, but I don't get this push for parkland with every development. It's silly.

We do not need any more parks or parkland... we need to enhance what currently exists, as for the most part they are pretty sad.

What's wrong with travelling to a park?

Well, people with kids, older folk, dogs and those who just want a quiet place to sit and think might disagree with your opinion (I certainly do!). Also parks 'break-up' an area and offer a window into something other than concrete and glass. That said, it is good to see the City are finally spending parks levies on (existing) park upgrades (many underway at present.) More certainly needs to be done.

Back