Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

It only has 525 units, many of which will no doubt be single occupancy. I don't think it will have much impact on density.

I do think it will look nice, though.

I wonder how true this is, what is the average occupancy per unit (of any size) in a newer downtown condo, as it will vary by the age of the building (as older ones tend to have larger units with more people).

I'd wager you are absolutely correct that it is in the 1 <-> 2 people per unit ... buy maybe closer to 1.5 ... with every other unit having 2 folks ... a lot of folks I know who live downtown live with 2 people, either a room mate / wife / husband / bf / gf ...

I wonder how true this is, what is the average occupancy per unit (of any size) in a newer downtown condo, as it will vary by the age of the building (as older ones tend to have larger units with more people).

I'd wager you are absolutely correct that it is in the 1 <-> 2 people per unit ... buy maybe closer to 1.5 ... with every other unit having 2 folks ... a lot of folks I know who live downtown live with 2 people, either a room mate / wife / husband / bf / gf ...

I would imagine that young people rooming together as renters would change the numbers from if they were all buyers. I could imagine this being a desirable location for young people to do just that. I suppose it depends on how much of this building was purchased by investors looking to rent the units.

88 Scott has larger suites on average than other recent downtown projects. It's aimed at a more well-heeled executive crowd, so it should end up with fewer renters than most new developments.

ZDeNsKd.jpg

LogFQCf.jpg

I went by the other day and asked one of the construction workers how much longer they would be excavating for. He invited me into the site and gave me a quick tour - really nice guy. He mentioned that they have approximately one months worth of work left and that they have begun digging a hole for the crane. The crane will be positioned directly behind the stacked trailers (pictured above) on the East side of the property. The hoist will be also be on the East side of the building.

I was at a meeting yesterday in an adjacent building and grabbed these of the site. Looks like they are preparing the crane base.

Uu23XCJ.jpg

nKdWb4I.jpg

This is going to be a classy looking building with its solid podium look of slate stonework, and plant and vegetation hanging from the balconies. I liked the old rendering better with its pyramid shaped rooftop image ,not the slanted type look. Still I'm looking forward to see it built. It would look nice seeing that structure from the park below.

It's really cool to see 3 buildings (88 Scott, INDX, and Richmond-Adelaide) going up in the Financial District, which is already incredibly dense.

Too much density is not good when one building out shadows the other,not giving any room to breath. I think placing skyscrapers around each other is an art. They should complement each other in harmony. The Toronto skyline did just that ten years ago. A variety of coloured facades. Today they all have that blue green look. Which in my opinion looks cold, dull and cluttered!

Last edited:

Back