Toronto 87 Peter | 156.05m | 49s | Menkes | Core Architects

The height they are seeking is 156.95m

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchPlanningAppSetup.do?action=init

81 PETER ST

OPA / Rezoning 12 115750 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Feb 1, 2012 Application Submitted Feb 1, 2012 Residential Apartments Kwashie, Francis
416-392-1306

Rezoning application for a new 49 storey mixed-use building with a mechanical penthouse comprising: commercial at grade, commercial parking garage on floors 2-4 (103 parking spaces) and residential units (546) above, 5 levels below grade parking (189 residential parking spaces). The proposed building will have a gfa of 458,979 ft2/42,640 m2, a height of 156.95m and a density of 26.2 times the lot area.

7007667219_d58c8bc54b_b.jpg

Meh... looks to be typical tower infill of Toronto these days. Not saying that's a bad thing, but that's my observation thus far. I'll be curious to see the overall massing and the top of the tower.

What is of concern are the darker panels shown in the render. It makes me think of M5V's white panels on the east and west sides, and their lack of symmetry which became evident as the building was clad.

Meh... looks to be typical tower infill of Toronto these days. Not saying that's a bad thing, but that's my observation thus far. I'll be curious to see the overall massing and the top of the tower.

Yes, but if the name is any indication, they will be going for a sort of low-key black and white aesthetic, and will market it to people with cynical attitudes and sexual motivations :p. They may even choose to emphasize its proximity to Chinatown.

The height they are seeking is 156.95m

a height of 156.95m and a density of 26.2 times the lot area.

Hahaha, gee in the hood, you cant get anything over 157 meters...i wonder what it took (the Festival Tower/Bell Lightbox) to be "The King of the Castle".
Ridiculous and weird.... if i may say:confused:

Without context this could easily be mistaken for one of a dozen other projects in the city.

EDIT: Just pondering... Is the recent fascination with night time renders (or ones with low lighting) just a ploy to make the substandard materials less noticeable?

Last edited:
There appears to be three "sections" to the podium, and the street level looks pretty unwelcoming with that long wall of glass.

Nothing exciting at all.

Guys, it was obviously a result of backroom deals and cronyism.

Olivia supported TIFF because of it's economic and cultural significance (in spite of the 30M height limit in the King-Spadina Secondary Plan). The Planning Department was told that TIFF could not be used as a precedent in any subsequent applications by other developers. After Charlie and M5V drove the final nail into the 30M height limit coffin (followed by Mirvish, Bisha, etc.), TIFF essentially became the new height limit for King-Spadina east of Spadina.

Back