Toronto 87 Peter | 156.05m | 49s | Menkes | Core Architects

yeah, there are lots of sites in this area for more buildings. In fact, in general it is a myth that there is a shortage of potential sites for tall buildings downtown. High land prices are currently a problem, but they won't persist. Claims of scarcity feeds demand and price growth.

Wow ...

I love Peter St south of King, all glass towers ? Really not sure what you're getting at, there is a mix. Moreover the condos in the area aren't new so they don't at all look like the common place glass / spandrel tower we are seeing lately.

Take the Soho building, that's all glass ? Sure if that's your definition effectivly anything without brick will fit that bill. Speaking of the Soho building, I love that too !

I agree with you to a certain extent, taal. Some of the buildings south of King are better than others, particularly Soho, and they're not as uniform as what we're building these days. They also get the benefit of the doubt because they were built on parking lots and urban wasteland, unlike the new buildings that are being built on the ruins of attractive and adaptable old warehouses.

Hopefully we get retail that is actually interesting here. A new restaurant would be great. I was at the Keg on Esplanade (London condo) the other night and the place was live. Great dinner club ambiance. If a bustling restaurant at the base of a condo is successful on Esplanade, then there's no reason why it can't be repeated here with thousands of new residents moving into the district in the next decade. The same concept should be applied to all ED condos to have a larger retail units for more engaging usage that departs from the same old typical dry cleaners/nail salon/Rabbas.

Personally speaking, I'd wish for some sidewalk space for a patio area. The render shows a rather boring glass wall. One can only hope that they will alter that as the design proceeds.

As for the Keg, there is one going into Fashion House just down king Street, so I doubt they would be interested in putting in another one in as there is already another Keg just inside the Financial District - also just north of King. That being said, another restaurant would be nice, but so would some retail.

And please, not another Jack Astor's.

Planning Meeting on 170 Spadina Ave, 81-87 Peter St, 388 King St W + 82 Peter St

Date: Monday May 28, 2012
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 pm

We have new renderings and details as a result of the meeting mentioned above in a new front page story and an updated dataBase page.

I like it actually. I feel as though it has a JCM look to it, which is a tower I think looks pretty good. I don't know how well the alley retail will fare, Toronto has always struggled to get anything off the main arterial routes, but I like that they're going for something different. I also like that they only put one ramp facing a main street. Hopefully it's not too detracting, I can't think of any building that is animated around a parking entrance, but at least it's only the one. Though, maybe i should be asking why they couldn't just put all the parking in the basement, any one have any idea?

I like the variance in the podium, if that precast is done well, and they don't cheap out on the design (which they probably will, but let's hope) it could be really good.

Ultimately, I like what this render suggests, there's some potential. But I won't get my hopes too high, I'll wait until I see what that precast looks like. I feel it will be hard to get a good opinion of this until it's at least halfway built.

The basement parking will be for the residents, while the podium parking will be a commercial lot. I've never seen a better disguised garage, I don't think.

Trumps has this one beat IMO. Trump does one, and only one thing well. And that is hiding its above ground parking garage.

I realized that it was for the second garage, but I guess it would be too difficult to have a second garage for the owners below the public lot. Maybe that's a lot costlier than I realize.

There was a comment on the King West thread about how developers are paying more attention to ground level retail heights. This certainly seems to be the case here, and it's good to see.

Hopefully, the age of poky, low, ground-level ceilings is past us. We got lots o' those!

The rendering looks promising, I like it. I never understand the step down in height towards Spadina, I thought that was out the door long ago.

Here's a link to describe what we're tearing down without the slightest thought. It's a unique building with a real history in the neighbourhood that has been adapted for many uses over the years. Now, it'll just be demolished. It's not the most special or extraordinary of buildings in the area, but it gives the street a kind of character that a monolithic canyon of bland 2010-era glass condo towers never will. I can't imagine too many successful cities that are more completely open for any kind of development, no matter what it is. I can assure you New York wouldn't allow the entire East Village to leveled for 50-storey condo towers. It makes Toronto seem like a Cleveland or Detroit, so desperate for development that it will take anything. The Distillery is an even more extreme example.

Back