Brampton 45 Railroad | ?m | 25s | Boardwalk REIT | Graziani + Corazza

Hey mate thanks a lot for the reply -

I really appreciate that advice and it's definitely something I'd happily pursue! I have the 350 ready to go any time, I just am looking for a wise place to spend it. If you think of any other great locations or have any ideas or suggestions please do let me know

Also, where is the best place on this forum to pose future questions about potential choices in Brampton?

Cheers!

There is no specific "Brampton" section here....new Brampton developments get dealt with via specific threads in, either, the high rise development section or the low rise development section.

Once a development is complete, the discussion moves to the real estate section. There are a few of us kicking around the forums that are either in Brampton or were in Brampton or have pretty good knowledge of the real estate/development scene in Brampton.

As for this specific development that you have posted in....pretty good developer with an interesting project but it has been "launched" and "re-launched" multiple times and to the best of my knowledge has yet to sell any units.

You may have noticed, compared to the rest of the GTA, the condo boom has pretty much bypassed Brampton.....there are lots of projects proposed and approved by the city....a lot of them in the same area as this one. Lots of different theories on why the boom has not caught on but the most credible one to me is the value of existing real estate. It costs pretty much the same to build a condo in Brampton as anywhere else in the GTA (in fact in the downtown area it might be higher than average because of the flood plain issue) and if it costs a developer between $300 - $400 psf to build and there are condos in the re-sale market selling in decent buildings in the $240 - $250 range there is very little likelihood of profit.....so when they launch sales at prices that cover the cost of construction and produce a builders profit they are met with resounding silence in the sales hut.

Other factors too...but that (IMO) is the most likely one.

This development is coming back from the dead under a new planning company. Anyone heard of Goldberg Group Land Use Planning and Development?

There was an ad in the Brampton Guardian today. I'm going to write the key details here.

• Goldberg Group Land Use Planning and Development
  • Amending zoning bylaw to allow:
  • High rise mixed-use residential
  • 387 residential units
  • 991 sq m of commercial
  • 504 parking spaces
  • 25 storeys + 27 storey on 3 storey shared podium
  • Incorporate existing Dominion Skate building
    • ShonTron pointed out on a group tour back in July, there's literally only the facade of the Dominion Skate building left
There was a Committee of Adjustment meeting about two weeks ago about this development. There will be a daycare, part of the commercial use, in this development. They weren't allowed to have one according to the zoning before.

Last edited:
This development is coming back from the dead under a new planning company. Anyone heard of Goldberg Group Land Use Planning and Development?

There was an ad in the Brampton Guardian today. I'm going to write the key details here.

• Goldberg Group Land Use Planning and Development
  • Amending zoning bylaw to allow:
  • High rise mixed-use residential
  • 387 residential units
  • 991 sq of commercial
  • 504 parking spaces
  • 25 storeys + 27 storey on 3 storey shared podium
  • Incorporate existing Dominion Skate building
    • ShonTron pointed out on a group tour back in July, there's literally only the facade of the Dominion Skate building left
There was a Committee of Adjustment meeting about two weeks ago about this development. There will be a daycare, part of the commercial use, in this development. They weren't allowed to have one according to the zoning before.

Maybe I'm underestimating how big is 991 sq of commercial, but there are more parking spaces than residential units?

Its Brampton, not surprising. The 991 is likely square metres, not square feet, which equates to roughly 10,500 square feet of retail, which isn't enough to require 200 parking spots.

It's sq m. Sorry, forgot a letter in there.

From the special zoning bylaw for the site from the city, looks like:
On-site parking shall be provided in accordance with the following:

a) For Residential Uses:
  • i) Bachelor/1-bedroom: 1.0 spaces per unit
  • ii) 2-bedroom: 1.2 spaces per unit
  • iii) Visitor: 0.2 spaces per unit

b) For Commercial Uses:
  • A minimum of 1 space for every 50 square metres of gross commercial floor area
So at least 387 spaces for residential, at least 77(.4) for visitors, and 19(.82) for commercial area. Technically, the zoning asks for at least 483 spaces.

Last edited:
how do you get 198 for Commercial? They need it for every 50 square metres, which would mean 19(.8) spots, meaning they need 20 spots for Commercial... So the absolute minimum presuming 100% single bedroom units required is 485 spots, which they exceed by 19, likely because there are a few two bedroom units.

Some details in the agenda for the January 11, 2016 Planning & Infrastructure Services Committee.

Skip down to Page 17 in the PDF document here. ERA and G&C are architects involved:

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/PDD Committee 2010/20160111pis_Agenda.pdf

I extracted the renderings from the PDF:

Dominion Skate.jpg

Attachments

• Dominion Skate.jpg
    Dominion Skate.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 4,371
unless they have found a solution to the problem that condo prices in Brampton do not, presently, cover the cost of building a condo building in Brampton....this will meet the same fate as the first two times it was launched.

City staff are recommending the zoning by-law amendment to allow this development to go through.

Also:

For economic reasons, the applicant has revised the development concept by adding 37 residential units, bringing two storeys of parking above grade and adding 3-bedroom units into the dwelling type mix. The applicant has also elected to develop the site with two separate buildings, rather than one bulkier building, and placing one of those buildings at the south west corner of the site.

The site plan application currently under review (File SP09-010.001) has been revised by the applicant to reflect the new design. With the redesign there is also the potential for a third tower to be added in conjunction with developing the lands owned by Metrolinx located northwest of the property, which is currently being used for parking. A third tower is currently not part of this application

Denison Avenue will be extended as part of this development.

PDF Page 78 here.

A bit more news, as the proposal came up again at Planning and Growth Committee (page 35)

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/PDD Committee 2010/20170116pdc_Agenda.pdf

"The development proposal is at an advanced stage of site plan approval (SP09-010.001) and the applicant will be submitting a building permit application with the intent of initiating construction in the spring of 2017."

I wonder if this is a purpose-built rental building, rather than a condominium, since this hasn't been marketed yet. On the other end of town, Medallion is proposing a third rental highrise at 69 Bramalea Road, at East Drive, just north of the GO Station.

Back