Toronto 23 Toronto Street | 258.6m | 80s | Goband Investment | SvN

Screenshot from the article looking west.

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2023/04/23-toronto-street/

blogTO-scraper.jpg

Watching Koop's flyby really shows how much the Scotia Tower is going to be unstructed in view. By these new proposed 200m plus towers near it. And as seen in the photos up above driving south on the DVP wow!

Not bad but I would be surprised if it actually ends up looking anything like that render, especially the height :p

Time and time again I learn to never trust Toronto development proposals until construction is well underway, and even then...

Unfortunately, it wont be anywhere near the same quality as shown in the render. They'll most likely be a lot of plastic-y mullion caps crisscrossing the surface.

We'll actually be lucky if it's anywhere near as high quality as the rendering.
I hate it even more after looking at it again at another site. It completely ruins the classic style & attractiveness of the heritage building. it’s astonishing how so out of place it looks. And someone on here mentioned that it’s an “interesting looking“ building up close. Well maybe if it wasn’t all bland grey(will beat that drum forever) across the whole of the exterior. Maybe some copper or bronze, other material used, added to make it look interesting would help. Same thing happening with 19 Bloor West, the brazen mediocrity with these “tall buildings” in the middle of prime downtown core is just dreadful. Quite Embarrassing for a big wealthy international city, the country’s biggest city,
in a G7 country. I also follow a lot of Chicago, Sydney & London architecture accounts & see the best of. Maybe it’s just me,
but Core Buildings that people are stuck looking at for 50 yrs + should be somewhat vibrant, innovative
& attractive.
Design Review Panel should be on top of this. Redesigns.

I hate it even more after looking at it again at another site. It completely ruins the classic style & attractiveness of the heritage building. it’s astonishing how so out of place it looks. And someone on here mentioned that it’s an “interesting looking“ building up close. Well maybe if it wasn’t all bland grey(will beat that drum forever) across the whole of the exterior. Maybe some copper or bronze, other material used, added to make it look interesting would help. Same thing happening with 19 Bloor West, the brazen mediocrity with these “tall buildings” in the middle of prime downtown core is just dreadful. Quite Embarrassing for a big wealthy international city, the country’s biggest city,
in a G7 country. I also follow a lot of Chicago, Sydney & London architecture accounts & see the best of. Maybe it’s just me,
but Core Buildings that people are stuck looking at for 50 yrs + should be somewhat vibrant, innovative
& attractive.
Design Review Panel should be on top of this. Redesigns.
I would of course, prefer a RAMSA or Wengle design but what are the chances of us getting that. At least it dosent have an ugly cantilever with monster columns or jenga like YC condos. It could be much worse.

I would of course, prefer a RAMSA or Wengle design but what are the chances of us getting that. At least it dosent have an ugly cantilever with monster columns or jenga like YC condos. It could be much worse.
No offense, “But could be much worse” is the motto for Toronto architectural design the last 50 + years. DRP has helped that tbh.
Just changing up the greyscale palette to some more standout tones would absolutely help. I don’t mind the balcony‘s zig-zag’ish design, but then the mismatch of the beige heritage below doesn’t really fit just yet. And one of the pics Urban Toronto uses is flattering dusky night view w filter. Maybe making that building look as attractive in the stark light of day is the thing to do.

Reactions: syn
The App is now up in the AIC:

1683371454883.png

From the Docs: (full render set)

* note the Renderings file here is very high resolution, large images, I have had to reduce these by up to 90% and/or crop a bit.

1683371642330.png

1683371733904.png

1683371775431.png

1683371808446.png

1683371866615.png

1683371938289.png

1683371990112.png

1683372124869.png

1683372181621.png

I will do a separate post below on the heritage attributes of the site from the HIA.

Back