News   Jun 26, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 744     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 674     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

So no factual gossip about the COC submitting a bid?

My bet then is that they'll let it go. They were aiming for 2024 from the getgo, but that puts us in direct competition with an American city.

EDIT: just noticed your new post.. Stop with the rumours! You're killing me here!!:(

I think Istanbul has probably the best chance of getting a games. It could be seen as a game to unite the middle east with the world. or some bullshit like that.

Tokyo might also have a chance from the perspective that the Games will help them recover and bring them back into the spotlight once again.

I think Toronto is the safest bet though in terms of the economics for the IOC.

Rome I think is dead last out of the shortlist, can't really see much for it.

Take it as you will, but I'm fairly sure we will be biding for 2020 after reading this:

"Aubut is totally on board for a Toronto bid, Ford and McGuinty have kept the lines of communication open and are working together. If there are individuals that believe nothing is being planned and in the works, then your sadly mistaken. Most believed Aubut would totally be anti-Ontario (Toronto) and would be all pro-Quebec City 2022, well I can tell you that as much as Quebec City wants to bid for those games, the direction of the COC is focused on a Summer Olympics in Toronto. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to most. Stadium preparations are already underway as preliminary studies are taking place. The Games will be modeled around Toronto's waterfront again, this is 99.99% confirmed."

We're getting our waterfront bid again, ladies and gentlemen.. Hopefully this time it doesn't end up in sheer disappointment.

Last edited:
Take it as you will, but I'm fairly sure we will be biding for 2020 after reading this:

"Aubut is totally on board for a Toronto bid, Ford and McGuinty have kept the lines of communication open and are working together. If there are individuals that believe nothing is being planned and in the works, then your sadly mistaken. Most believed Aubut would totally be anti-Ontario (Toronto) and would be all pro-Quebec City 2022, well I can tell you that as much as Quebec City wants to bid for those games, the direction of the COC is focused on a Summer Olympics in Toronto. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to most. Stadium preparations are already underway as preliminary studies are taking place. The Games will be modeled around Toronto's waterfront again, this is 99.99% confirmed."

We're getting our waterfront bid again, ladies and gentlemen.. Hopefully this time it doesn't end up in sheer disappointment.

Good news Filip! Looks like our waterfront will take not 1, but two World sporting events to finally get it done! If the Queen's Quay east is not complete by 2020 with an olympics bid, I will pack up my possessions and move to Dubai, authoritarian infrastructure projects ftw?

ughh, quote from another forum poster.. i will take that as a grain of salt right now. until i hear it from the mayor's mouth, it will not happen

ughh, quote from another forum poster.. i will take that as a grain of salt right now. until i hear it from the mayor's mouth, it will not happen

Until the COC announcement in July (which has been rumoured both on this forum and others), everything is just a rumour.

However, I think we will be bidding no problem in 2020; the COC sees the opportunity for 2020 and the lack of competition. Rome has Italy's colossal debt/economic problems and Tokyo has Japan's perpetually-in-a-recession baggage and the earthquake/nuclear disaster that is leaving people a bit cautious about sending such a large event in such an unpredictable place.

Madrid might be bidding now, but given Spain's colossal problems and their skyrocketing unemployment rate, the people themselves might not be such large supporters of the games. Tell the millions of unemployed Spaniards and the students in Madrid suffering to find any employment that the government is going to blow over 10 billion euros on a circus instead of focusing on truly dismal conditions for the general population.

Toronto is the only city bidding, for now, with no major baggage. Canada would be a safe bet for the OG and given the IOC's appetite for risk has been satisfied by handing the games to Rio, they might just be looking for that safe bet. Few countries are as reliable partners for the games as Canada is.

MMM Paris may be bidding for 2020 now too... but I have a strong feeling Munich will get 2018 WOG's. And remember folks, back in 2007 it was stated they were working on a 2020 bid.

Hopefully the bid videos this time tug at the emotional strings of the IOC. Apparently the heart-warming 2015 videos were a major reason why Toronto won by a landslide.

I propose getting famous Canadian artists and vocalists to sing an 'Ode to Toronto' along the waterfront with all typical stock footage of people playing sports around the city and most importantly, using CGI to add the Olympic facilities on the waterfront facing the downtown core.

Diana Krall singing a scene in front of the Olympic Stadium with the skyline visible in the background. That's how you do it! It's important to show the IOC of the legacy that the games will leave. It's one of their biggest voting points.

Last edited:
It's important to show the IOC of the legacy that the games will leave. It's one of their biggest voting points.

What specifically can you identify as being the legacy that any of the last few games have left?

London will have a new 20K seat stadium after the olympics... and Rio will be a lot better of a city because of the Olympics imo.

However I believe Sydney was left with a huge stadium that had only a couple dozen events barely two years after

Athens isn't exactly economically thriving for all they spent.

Beijing spent gobs of money and certainly couldn't make any of that economically viable or even feasible in any western economy.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legacy 2012 leaves London, let alone Rio post-Games. Will they be fighting a mountain of debt and bills? Will they make continued use of their marvelous new facilities (where's the track stadium used in Atlanta)?

The problem with the summer Olympics is that they are on such a huge scale, that there is little practical use for the size of facilities they leave once the Games are finished. Just look at the comparison in venue scale between those planned for Pan Am 2015 and London 2012. When would we realistically have a need for most of the venues at the Olympic scale once the Olympics have finished?

Back