News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 641     1 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

However I believe Sydney was left with a huge stadium that had only a couple dozen events barely two years after

Athens isn't exactly economically thriving for all they spent.

Beijing spent gobs of money and certainly couldn't make any of that economically viable or even feasible in any western economy.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legacy 2012 leaves London, let alone Rio post-Games. Will they be fighting a mountain of debt and bills? Will they make continued use of their marvelous new facilities (where's the track stadium used in Atlanta)?

The problem with the summer Olympics is that they are on such a huge scale, that there is little practical use for the size of facilities they leave once the Games are finished. Just look at the comparison in venue scale between those planned for Pan Am 2015 and London 2012. When would we realistically have a need for most of the venues at the Olympic scale once the Olympics have finished?

London's stadium will be reduced to 20,000 seats or so after the Olympics. The rest will be shipped off to build other stadiums in other parts of the country. The whole complex is quite temporary actually.

I remember reading that Toronto's Olympic Stadium for the 2008 games would have been reduced to 20,000 seats as well afterwards.

However I believe Sydney was left with a huge stadium that had only a couple dozen events barely two years after

Athens isn't exactly economically thriving for all they spent.

Beijing spent gobs of money and certainly couldn't make any of that economically viable or even feasible in any western economy.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legacy 2012 leaves London, let alone Rio post-Games. Will they be fighting a mountain of debt and bills? Will they make continued use of their marvelous new facilities (where's the track stadium used in Atlanta)?

The problem with the summer Olympics is that they are on such a huge scale, that there is little practical use for the size of facilities they leave once the Games are finished. Just look at the comparison in venue scale between those planned for Pan Am 2015 and London 2012. When would we realistically have a need for most of the venues at the Olympic scale once the Olympics have finished?

Atlanta's stadium was built with Baseball in mind, and was converted post-use to the Braves Stadium.

Well we are mentioned by the Associated Press as a potential candidate city. :p And the U.S.A. might bid now, I say it's still a slim shot. I don't see NYC bidding again. Chicago is out of the mix this time. Is L.A. really gonna bid for its 3rd Olympics? Regardless, I believe Toronto would trump these candidates.

Progress on revenue talks could encourage US bid

By STEPHEN WILSON, AP Sports Writer – 14 hours ago

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — A day after securing a $4.38 billion deal with NBC, the IOC inched closer toward a new revenue-sharing agreement with U.S. Olympic leaders Wednesday that could open the way for an American bid for the 2020 Games.

The International Olympic Committee and USOC reported progress in their latest round of talks aimed at resolving a long-running dispute over revenue sharing that contributed to stinging defeats for New York for the 2012 Games and Chicago for 2016.

"It went very well," IOC marketing commission chairman Gerhard Heiberg told The Associated Press. "It was a very positive atmosphere. We are getting closer and closer. We are down to small points. It's still our hope that before too long we should be there."

Both sides have expressed hope of signing a new deal before the IOC general assembly from July 6-9 in Durban, South Africa, although no deadline has been set.

"The tone was positive," U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun told the AP. "Everybody's approaching the discussions with a very open mind. Hopefully, we can continue to make progress going forward."

Agreeing on a revenue-sharing plan would remove a major impediment to any U.S. Olympic bid.

The timeline for 2020 is tight, however. National Olympic Committees have until Sept. 1 to submit the names of any applicant cities to the IOC.

"I think it would be very positive for the United Sates, for the IOC and for everybody if they had a good city in the race for 2020," Heiberg said. "We would like to have games in the USA again, no question about it. If we could solve this discussion or find solutions here it would also be positive for the possibilities of the United States to apply for the games."

While U.S. officials have indicated a 2020 bid remains unlikely, it has not been ruled out.

"We really are not giving it any thought at this point," Blackmun said. "We will turn our thoughts to future bids if and when we solve the revenue-sharing issues."

At the heart of the dispute is the USOC's long-standing 20 percent share of global sponsorship revenues and 12.75 percent cut of U.S. broadcast rights deals. Many IOC and international sports officials consider the U.S. share excessive and want the money spread to other Olympic bodies.

International resentment over the USOC's share was considered a key factor in Chicago's first-round loss in the IOC vote in 2009 for the 2016 Olympics, which were awarded to Rio de Janeiro. That followed New York's defeat in the race for the 2012 Games, which went to London. The U.S. hasn't hosted a Summer Olympics since the 1996 Atlanta Games.

"If there is a bid coming in 2020 from the United States of America, we would be very happy," IOC President Jacques Rogge said Tuesday.

Among U.S. cities mentioned as potential interested bidders include New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Minneapolis and Tulsa, Okla.

"Obviously there are some issues that need to get solved, but I think it would be a good thing to have a U.S. candidature," IOC finance commission chairman Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico told the AP.

Acknowledging U.S. reluctance in the wake of the New York and Chicago defeats, he said, "I understand that, but if you don't compete you can't win."

Rome is the only city so far that has been officially endorsed by its national Olympic committee as a 2020 candidate.

South Africa, once considered a potential leading contender, announced last month that it would not mount a bid. Potential bids could come from Tokyo; Toronto; Madrid; Doha, Qatar; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Many countries are waiting until after the July 6 vote in Durban on the host city of the 2018 Winter Games. The three candidates are Annecy, France; Munich; and Pyeongchang, South Korea.

If Pyeongchang wins, Asian cities could be reluctant to come forward for 2020. Likewise, some European cities might hold off if the 2018 Games go to Munich or Annecy. The 2020 host city will be selected in 2013.

Blackmun, USOC chairman Larry Probst and business executive Fraser Bullock met for an hour Wednesday with Heiberg, Carrion and IOC director general Christophe De Kepper. No new date was set for further talks.

"We will exchange views in writing and also by telephone and, if necessary, we will have another meeting before Durban," Heiberg said.

The revenue-sharing issue has strained relations for years between the USOC and IOC, leading to a decline in American influence in the European-dominated body. However, Probst and Blackmun have made a concerted effort over the past year to mend fences and work toward a financial accord with the IOC.

"There's been enormous progress in the perception of the USOC by the IOC members," Carrion said. "There is still a lot of work to do and you don't erase things in one year but genuine progress is being made. Hopefully, we'll see some tangible affects of that."

The USOC and IOC agreed last year to negotiate a new revenue formula that will take effect after 2020. As a first step, the USOC agreed last year to contribute about $18 million toward the administrative costs of staging the 2010 and 2012 Olympics.

Both sides learned Tuesday how much TV money will be coming into the revenue stream when NBC won the broadcast rights to four Olympics through 2020 for $4.38 billion, defeating rival bids from ESPN and Fox. Based on the current formula, the USOC's 12.75 share would come to $558 million.

TV money represents 40 percent of the USOC's revenues.

"We're very pleased with that outcome," Blackmun said. "The fact that we know the number is useful to each side."

Stephen Wilson can be followed at http://twitter.com/stevewilsonap

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — A day after securing a $4.38 billion deal with NBC, the IOC inched closer toward a new revenue-sharing agreement with U.S. Olympic leaders Wednesday that could open the way for an American bid for the 2020 Games.

The International Olympic Committee and USOC reported progress in their latest round of talks aimed at resolving a long-running dispute over revenue sharing that contributed to stinging defeats for New York for the 2012 Games and Chicago for 2016.
Apparently NBC outbid ESPN and Fox by quite a fair margin, and a nod from the IOC that the U.S. will win 2020 might be part of that bargain.

As others have mentioned, the COC is supposed to announce its intentions in late July.

London's stadium will be reduced to 20,000 seats or so after the Olympics. The rest will be shipped off to build other stadiums in other parts of the country. The whole complex is quite temporary actually.

I remember reading that Toronto's Olympic Stadium for the 2008 games would have been reduced to 20,000 seats as well afterwards.

The original plan was to reduce the London Olympic stadium to a 25,000 seat stadium for track and field to provide an ongoing legacy for the sport after the games.

Within the last year there has been an aggressive and controversial bidding process for people to take over the stadium. 3 of London's senior professional teams (Leyton Orient, West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspurs) all made bids for the stadium and the London organizers chose the WHU bid.

This bid will see a revamped 50 - 55k stadium remain there and they seem to be committed to the legacy (much to the chagrin of soccer purists who know that the sport does not work so well with a massive track separating the fans from the game). Leyton's bid was not considered all that serioius (they are a much smaller club but the stadium is in their neighbourhood so it was more of a "keep those bigger guys from moving into our turf). WHU are also an East London club but not as close to the stadium as Leyton are.

The 'spurs bid would have seen the tearing up of the track and conversion of the place to an over 60k soccer facility. They proposed to satisfy the Olympic Legacy they proposed to bring the existing national track and field stadium (at Crystal Palace in South London) up to current international standards.

The point is not much different.....with the exception of places like China and rich oil nations, the populace needs to see a post-games plan for a stadium and not too many places have a long term, economically viable, need for 80k+ track and field stadium.....if Toronto ever gets an Olympics, we would need a plan like that and the plan would be determined, I guess, by the sporting landscape at the time.

If we have NFL, you could see a stadium that was built with public money to host the Olympics then sold to an NFL team after the fact. The gap in cost relative to what could be recouped from the sale would represent the public cost of the stadium for the games (some will slant it to be the public subsidy of bringing an NFL team).

If we do not have NFL then you would likely see it be converted to a much smaller publicly owned facility in that 20 - 30k size range and rented out to someone like the Argos.

2020 Olympic Summer Games Bids - Prague Out, Tokyo Maybe
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:20am EDT GB Staff
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Prague won't be bidding for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. According to the Voice of Russia, city officials said the decision was made for economic reasons.

Due to the financial crisis two years ago Prague decided not to bid for the 2016 Summer Games, and Tuesday it was finally decided to disband the entire Olympic bid committee.

Meanwhile Japanese Olympic officials expect to know within weeks if Tokyo will bid for the 2020 Summer Games.

Tsunekazu Takeda, Japan Olympic Committee President, told The Associated Press, "we expect a decision will be in late June or early July. Tokyo had a great plan for 2016, and has excellent financing".

Takeda said a bid by Tokyo for the 2020 Games could go a long way in helping Japan rebuild from the devastating earthquake and tsunami in March.

While saying he would support a bid, Takeda said the decision about bidding ultimately wrests with the Tokyo metropolitan government.

Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara has said he hopes his city will bid again. Tokyo metropolitan government officials said Ishihara was expressing a personal view, and that a decision for another bid would require approval by the city assembly.

So the momentum looks to be shifting into Munich's side in the final stretch.

If some of you are not aware, the host city for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be voted on this Wednesday.

If Toronto does decide to bid for the 2020 Olympics, the decision on host city for 2018 will impact which cities will bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, and a Munich win will hurt Rome's chances at winning 2020, especially if Paris is going to bid for 2024 as has been rumoured.

I'm actually hoping that Munich wins. They would be the first Olympic host city to host both a Summer and Winter Olympics, plus their bid is awesome and all about the athletes.

What does a Munich win mean for a possible Toronto 2020 bid?

-It would eliminate any competitors from the European continent after all these European hosts (Athens 2004, Torino 2006, London 2012, Sochi 2014, Munich 2018)
-Tokyo would probably be the only other strong competitor but after the earthquakes and tsunamis, I still wouldn't buy a compelling story that these Olympics would help them rebuild. That money should be invested in other areas to build that country back up again.

Toronto would be stupid not to bid. I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. Even if Pyeongchang wins, Toronto would still have a decent shot at winning. Preferably, I'd like Munich win scenario better.

Eliminates competition from Tokyo, leaves us with Rome and possibly Madrid.

I really can't see Madrid trying again, their unemployment rate is sky high.

I think Toronto has a better chance than Rome (In Europe - London 2012, Sochi 2014, In North America - Vancouver 2010)

I really can't see Madrid trying again, their unemployment rate is sky high.

I think Toronto has a better chance than Rome (In Europe - London 2012, Sochi 2014, In North America - Vancouver 2010)

But they will. Spaniards loooooove (and I cannot stress this more) circuses and wasteful spending - hence why most of their youth is unemployed and the country is teetering on their debt being downgraded to junk (paving the way for a default).

Let's see how this plays out; the COC should be making their announcement later this month if rumours are true.

But they will. Spaniards loooooove (and I cannot stress this more) circuses and wasteful spending - hence why most of their youth is unemployed and the country is teetering on their debt being downgraded to junk (paving the way for a default).

Well that's a Mediterranean thing.
This is a great opportunity for Toronto. France exerts great influence in Europe lately and with the financial issue in Spain i would not be surprised if they persuaded Spain not too bid for 2020 so Paris can get 2024.
If COC does not go ahead for 2020 for Toronto it will be because they are gunning for 2022 for Quebec City and considering the head of the COC is a francophone i would not be surprised.

Back