News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

Well that's a Mediterranean thing.
This is a great opportunity for Toronto. France exerts great influence in Europe lately and with the financial issue in Spain i would not be surprised if they persuaded Spain not too bid for 2020 so Paris can get 2024.
If COC does not go ahead for 2020 for Toronto it will be because they are gunning for 2022 for Quebec City and considering the head of the COC is a francophone i would not be surprised.
Apparently the head of the COC, that Francophone, is gunning gung-ho for a Toronto 2020 bid. These are the rumours of course, nothing has been announced as of yet.

Quebec City can't host the Olympics, they don't have the mountain to do so.

There are rumors that the so called mountains around Quebec City "can be acceptable" in IOC terms (ie: the right amount of money).
We'll see soon enough. The deadline is September 1. If the COC was serious i would expect a Toronto bid by the first of week of August the latest.

If the COC was serious i would expect a Toronto bid by the first of week of August the latest.
The bids aren't due until early 2013. All that is submitted before September 1st, would need be a simple one-page letter notifying them that Toronto would be bidding. I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the last minute, to avoid the US media stirring the pot and getting a US bid.

September 1 is the deadline for Olympic committees to submit the names of their cities that are interested in hosting the games.
If the COC does not name Toronto as a candidate by then, then they can not bid.
If the COC names Toronto as a 2020 candidate that means Quebec City 2022 is gone.
The choice will be between the two.
If the COC names Toronto last minute it's because the head of the COC will not want Toronto but he will be pressured to pursue Toronto. And if that happens then in my opinion Toronto will not have a chance if the COC is not fully committed.

September 1 is the deadline for Olympic committees to submit the names of their cities that are interested in hosting the games.
If the COC does not name Toronto as a candidate by then, then they can not bid.
If the COC names Toronto as a 2020 candidate that means Quebec City 2022 is gone.
The choice will be between the two.
If the COC names Toronto last minute it's because the head of the COC will not want Toronto but he will be pressured to pursue Toronto. And if that happens then in my opinion Toronto will not have a chance if the COC is not fully committed.

This is a post I made about a month ago from someone on Gamesbids

"Aubut is totally on board for a Toronto bid, Ford and McGuinty have kept the lines of communication open and are working together. If there are individuals that believe nothing is being planned and in the works, then your sadly mistaken. Most believed Aubut would totally be anti-Ontario (Toronto) and would be all pro-Quebec City 2022, well I can tell you that as much as Quebec City wants to bid for those games, the direction of the COC is focused on a Summer Olympics in Toronto. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to most. Stadium preparations are already underway as preliminary studies are taking place. The Games will be modeled around Toronto's waterfront again, this is 99.99% confirmed."

That's from an unknown source. I'd love to believe it though.

He would be stupid to go with another Winter Olympics 12 years after Vancouver. QC wouldn't have much chance against a Munich bid or even an American bid for 2022

That's from an unknown source. I'd love to believe it though.

He would be stupid to go with another Winter Olympics 12 years after Vancouver. QC wouldn't have much chance against a Munich bid or even an American bid for 2022
Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but I'm hoping the announcement in late July for a Toronto bid will pan out. If not, we missed a golden opportunity. By 2024, much bigger and more impressive cities will be bidding, competition won't be as thin as it is now.

Forget about 2024, Toronto will not stand a chance.
Filip, I've heard of that before, however i just don't believe it. Quebec City has come out to say they want too bid for 2022. The new arena will be the centrepiece of such a bid. And if a Toronto bid moves ahead of a Quebec bid expect Quebec political officials to claim that the rest of Canada is anti-Quebec.
The Edmonton mayor blames Eastern Canada for their 2017 failed world expo bid, i can only imagine what would come out of Quebec.

Forget about 2024, Toronto will not stand a chance.
Filip, I've heard of that before, however i just don't believe it. Quebec City has come out to say they want too bid for 2022. The new arena will be the centrepiece of such a bid. And if a Toronto bid moves ahead of a Quebec bid expect Quebec political officials to claim that the rest of Canada is anti-Quebec.
The Edmonton mayor blames Eastern Canada for their 2017 failed world expo bid, i can only imagine what would come out of Quebec.
QC isn't going to get an area nor the Olympics. The COC knows this and QC knows it.

That arena has become such a political hot potato in Quebec that there have been resignations from the Parti Quebecois because of it. Toronto will bid and QC can cry about it all they want, but face it, the overwhelming alpha city of Canada is due its games.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on bidding on both games. Has there been some strange ruling I'm not aware of? France just lost the 2018 bid, and there's talk of a 2020 bid.

Can't see any reason not to do both ... if Toronto wins the 2020 bid in 2013, then it could well impact the 2022 bid ... however if the 2022 timing follows the 2018 timing, then nothing other than the initial letter of interest is due until 2014. And if Toronto loses in 2013, it will be long forgotten by the time the 2015 votes comes up.

Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but I'm hoping the announcement in late July for a Toronto bid will pan out. If not, we missed a golden opportunity. By 2024, much bigger and more impressive cities will be bidding, competition won't be as thin as it is now.

Since when does "thin competition" equal Tokyo, Rome and Madrid? So far those are the only cities that have put their names in the hat for 2020. I'd actually say that unless Madrid is penalized for London winning 2012, they're the outright favourites having bid for 2012 and 2016 (the IOC does like to reward persistence and Madrid has made some very strong bids having finished second to Rio for 2016 and only two votes from 2nd for 2012). Tokyo is an underdog due to Pyeongchang's win and I'd say Rome has the same hopes as Toronto having put up a strong bid for 2004 (finished 2nd). The only advantage Toronto has over Rome is that we haven't hosted it before and they did in 1960. So right now, in my mind, we're maybe in 2nd place, perhaps even a distant second place (and this is coming from someone who has been optimistic about our chances and would like to see a games here).

Since when does "thin competition" equal Tokyo, Rome and Madrid? So far those are the only cities that have put their names in the hat for 2020. I'd actually say that unless Madrid is penalized for London winning 2012, they're the outright favourites having bid for 2012 and 2016 (the IOC does like to reward persistence and Madrid has made some very strong bids having finished second to Rio for 2016 and only two votes from 2nd for 2012). Tokyo is an underdog due to Pyeongchang's win and I'd say Rome has the same hopes as Toronto having put up a strong bid for 2004 (finished 2nd). The only advantage Toronto has over Rome is that we haven't hosted it before and they did in 1960. So right now, in my mind, we're maybe in 2nd place, perhaps even a distant second place (and this is coming from someone who has been optimistic about our chances and would like to see a games here).

We shouldn't be just talking about the atmosphere of the bids. Toronto is in the same boat as Madrid - having submitted two, very strong bids. Rome and Madrid both suffer from absolutely devastated national economies. Italy's is systemic and long term, while Spain's is a result of decades of overspending and artificially propping up their economic growth. These two shouldn't even be bidding in the first place, but as it's Southern Europe, I don't expect much thought goes into any decision relating to spending. Tokyo is now hampered by the 2018 win. South Korea and Japan are often considered as a package, and the IOC will not be awarding games that are a few hundred kilometres apart within 2 years.

If Toronto mounts a solid bid like the 2008 one, given Canada's position as a very reliable partner for the IOC and the COC's growing influence within that organization, I don't see how Toronto 2020 wouldn't equal a strong bid. The anti-SOG protests in Spain would be disastrous. Their youth are already crying bloody murder with Spain's spending, now imagine if this group mired by <50% unemployment are told the government will be spending an additional 10 billion euros for a 3 week circus? Eeesh. I lived in Madrid, the guys there would tear the city apart.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on bidding on both games. Has there been some strange ruling I'm not aware of? France just lost the 2018 bid, and there's talk of a 2020 bid.

Can't see any reason not to do both ... if Toronto wins the 2020 bid in 2013, then it could well impact the 2022 bid ... however if the 2022 timing follows the 2018 timing, then nothing other than the initial letter of interest is due until 2014. And if Toronto loses in 2013, it will be long forgotten by the time the 2015 votes comes up.

France desperately wants the Olympics. They think they need the Olympics for some reason.
I don't see Canada putting the money in a 2022 bid even if they loose on a 2020 bid.

"Since when does "thin competition" equal Tokyo, Rome and Madrid?"
Tokyo doesn't stand much of a chance. Spain should be ashamed for attempting considering the economic hole they're in. Do they really care that little about their future? A Madrid bid is like an Athens bid............waste of someone else's money. The attention is currently on Greece, Portugal and Ireland, however Spain and Italy are in a severally terrible situation.

Canada is in a strong financial situation as is Toronto.

Last edited:
France desperately wants the Olympics. They think they need the Olympics for some reason.

"Since when does "thin competition" equal Tokyo, Rome and Madrid?"
Tokyo doesn't stand much of a chance. Spain should be ashamed for attempting considering the economic hole they're in. Do they really care that little about their future? A Madrid bid is like an Athens bid............waste of someone else's money. The attention is currently on Greece, Portugal and Ireland, however Spain and Italy are in a severally terrible situation.

Canada is in a strong financial situation as is Toronto.

Spain is about a cm away from turning into Portugal. Just one notch downgrade of its debt and it's gone.

Agreed Filip.
Spain hasn't gotten any financial help yet. Key word --> YET.
The officials should all be fired for this. However, the mentality in the Mediterranean countries is "oh it will pay for itself with the tourism money". Hence why that area is in the mess they are.

Back