News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 874     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto 2020 Olympic Bid

You can not build a DRL in 9 years. Not in the Toronto of today.

Not going to happen.
If we were to start now (and I know we won't), why not?

And North America has not hosted since 1996. That's a very long time for the largest and most lucrative market of the summer games.
FIFA just rejected the U.S., Australia and England by massive margins in favour of Russia and Qatar(!) for the 2018 and '22 World Cups, and the IOC rejected Chicago for 2016 by a similar margin. Seems to me the "most lucrative market(s)" angle no longer holds much water.

Rob Ford may like the Olympics because they're a great way to get more money for public transit projects like subways and build a gigantic new stadium later usable for the NFL.
Yet instead of pushing for the Olympics and all those gazillions in public money, Rob Ford is backing a Portlands NFL stadium that most consider to be a long shot and would almost certainly have to be built entirely with private money.

Yet instead of pushing for the Olympics and all those gazillions in public money, Rob Ford is backing a Portlands NFL stadium that most consider to be a long shot and would almost certainly have to be built entirely with private money.

I doubt that GW, Rob Ford doesnt have much of a say without the support of the federal and provincial government.
I think when the time is right the 3 levels of government will make the right decision.:)

Didn't the '08 bid have a stadium where all but 30,000 or so seats were temporary, to be later used as an Argos stadium?

If we were to start now (and I know we won't), why not?
You really just answered your own question. We won't start today or anywhere close to today, because they have not even really decided on a route for such a line. Has any engineering be done? Has any coordination with all of the utilities been done? Has financing been secured? Nope, not really. Only very preliminary stuff. All of the pre-construction work will likely take just as long as the actual construction itself, which will take years alone.

I'm just a pessimist, I guess.

Last edited:
You really just answered your own question. We won't start today or anywhere close to today, because they have not even really decided on a route for such a line. Has any engineering be done? Has any coordination with all of the utilities been done? Has financing been secured? Nope, not really. Only very preliminary stuff. All of the pre-construction work will likely take just as long as the actual construction itself, which will take years alone.

I'm just a pessimist, I guess.

a study is currently going on now, to determine the best route for such a line, once the report is done, I'm sure it's just a matter of doing the EA, and finding funding/ tendering the bids and setting a timeline.

a study is currently going on now, to determine the best route for such a line, once the report is done, I'm sure it's just a matter of doing the EA, and finding funding/ tendering the bids and setting a timeline.

Ok, so let's say that the "study" is finished by the end of this year. I would be very surprised if that "study" involved detailed engineering, but I suppose it's possible. That would certainly shave off a lot of time. Assuming it does not, then you have at least another couple years for pre-planning / engineering, and then a minimum of six months for an EA. That brings us to mid 2014. So let's say maybe a 2015 start date, because everything needs to be tendered and pieces moved into place, and that's assuming everything goes according to schedule. It seems like 2020 would be a pretty tight deadline to make, no?

The only way this happens is with a very strong push from the provincial government (and federal funding, as well), and this seems uncharacteristic of the provincial government that we are likely to have after the upcoming election.

Last edited:
Because it takes Toronto two or three years even to repave a few blocks of sidewalk (Bloor, Roncesvales).
Most projects have gone smoothly. I don't recall any such complaints when they rebuilt almost the entire Dundas line 2-3 years ago. Ditto for Gerrard and Carlton just before that.

Size is certainly an issue - there hasn't been a stadium smaller than 70,000 since the 1960s. Age isn't though ... the LA Coliseum was over 60 years old when it was used in 1984.

You'd need venues for football as well. Rogers could serve for this ... along with the Big O. Probably would need a couple more big stadiums though ... I wouldn't think they'd want a bid that would include Commonwealth and BC Place ... though their were east cost stadiums used during the 1984 Olympics.

Size is certainly an issue - there hasn't been a stadium smaller than 70,000 since the 1960s. Age isn't though ... the LA Coliseum was over 60 years old when it was used in 1984.

You'd need venues for football as well. Rogers could serve for this ... along with the Big O. Probably would need a couple more big stadiums though ... I wouldn't think they'd want a bid that would include Commonwealth and BC Place ... though their were east cost stadiums used during the 1984 Olympics.

So we need a new stadium anyway then, because Rogers is too small. Wonder how that will go over with taxpayers.

So we need a new stadium anyway then, because Rogers is too small. Wonder how that will go over with taxpayers.

Well anyone would be foolish to think that no taxpayers money goes into an Olymbic bid...we here in Toronto have paid through our teeth for Olympic infastructure in Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver. Maybe the time has come for us to get some of these state of the art venues paid by the rest of Canada.

Well anyone would be foolish to think that no taxpayers money goes into an Olymbic bid...we here in Toronto have paid through our teeth for Olympic infastructure in Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver. Maybe the time has come for us to get some of these state of the art venues paid by the rest of Canada.

+1 nuff said :p

Back