News   Mar 28, 2024
 158     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Now Scott Mitchell, GM of the Ti Cats, are talking about hosting the 2013 Grey Cup. That's a big turn around.

York makes some sense at least, but someone has to come up with a share of the costs. Can York do that? Would Vaughan do that?

According the national post (story in early may) the city is contributing $60 million and the feds/province $32 million for the 15,000 seat stadium for track and for other facilities in Hamilton for the games. Lets say, for fun, $50 or $60 million of that is for the stadium. Could York pay some of that along with the feds/province contribution....sure they could they would just create one of those student levies like the UofT did for their new sports facilities and like Ryerson did for Maple Leaf Gardens. So, yes you could probably build the base stadium at York (or Mississauga for that matter....although I doubt Vaughan would contribute anything to a stadium at York which is not in Vaughan).....the issue is, after the games who pays for the upgrading/expansion to CFL size/standards....in the Hamilton model, Bob Young and the Ticats were paying for that (thus the reason they feel they should have input into where it is. So the bigger question is would David Braley and the Argos pony up the $30 million (assuming the cost stayed the same as in Hamilton) needed later? Braley has been a good CFL owner, but he has never put a penny into stadium ownership/upgrading (not when he owned the TiCats....not as the owner of the Lions and not in the short time he has owned the Argos).

I think Mississauga makes some sense and if the stadium is done right, could become a permanent home to the Argos, who already practice at UT's Erindale campus. There are several tracts of land near MCC and/or the airport (Hershey) which could work. Proximity to the rest of the Games remains excellent and ongoing use of the facilities might be just as good as they could be with York - who in fairness could also woo the Argos as they did when BMO was being discussed.

I know the CFL is a dead brand in Ontario, but if the NFL ever lands in TO then this type of arrangement makes sense for the Argos. Further, a USL team or even it's own CFL team (Argos or otherwise) makes more sense in Mississauga (6th largest city in Canada) than it does at York.

Personal opinion......if you really want to kill off the Argos move them to Mississauga. 905 is where sports teams go to die (I say this as a season ticket holder of one OHL team in the 905 and a regular attendee of another).

Last edited:
Then you know nothing. The TV ratings prove that the CFL is hardly a dead brand in Ontario, and the Bills in Toronto debacle lends credence to the notion that support for the NFL in Toronto is more wide than deep.

I predict the stadium will go ahead in Hamilton, as it should.

I agree that the CFL is not a dead brand in the CFL........just have to figure out a way to get people to go to the games (in numbers somewhat related to the size of the markets)..........................as for the Bills in Toronto, all that has proved, I think, is that they now know the ceiling on ticket prices. It is highly doubtful that the ticket prices for an 8 game season (on average) would come anywhere near approaching the price tag for seats if there was a team here permanantly....that does not mean/prove that it would be a success....but the current situation does not prove it would not be.....my bet is that it would sell very well at prices less than they currently charge (but still more than the Bills charge in Buffalo).

I also agree that they will find a way to get the stadium deal done in Hamilton.

Any updates on the sherwood soccer stadium in burlington?

i head its dropped , but where will they move the stadium too now?

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/788545

Burlington's Pan-Am soccer stadium approved

June 14, 2010
By KEN PETERS
BURLINGTON - It’s a good step forward for Burlington’s Pan Am soccer hopes.

A Niagara Escarpment Commission report is recommending the city be permitted to erect a temporary 5,000-seat stadium to allow the soccer competition take place at New City Park.

Looks like Katz is going to take over Hamilton's West Harbour stadium. Should be a news conference any minute now.

He also wants to take over Copps with a future NHL team. Exciting day.

Oilers talking Copps, stadium with the city

June 29, 2010
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/798487

Edmonton Oilers billionaire owner Daryl Katz and entertainment giant AEG are looking at taking control of Hamilton’s Copps Coliseum and the future Pan Am stadium.

The group is at city hall today, asking council for time to come up with a business plan and proposal for the sports and concert facilities.

No formal proposal has been put to city hall yet.

Councillors are behind closed doors right now negotiating with Katz and his partners on how much time they need to develop a proposal.

Patrick Laforge from the Oilers' group first approached council shortly after the Balsillie deal locking up Copps expired last fall. By April, he had a general agreement in place with HECFI to hold Copps for the group while they assembled a pitch.

That deal expires on July 1, and today’s meetings are an effort to extend that arrangement to give the group more time to develop a business case.

LaForge said that after watching the Balsillie-NHL fight over an NHL team, they decided to move in and take a ”more professional and more strategic” approach to the city’s professional sports prospects.

He stressed this is not about moving the Oilers to Hamilton and there is no proposal for an NHL team on the table.

He said their involvement is about creating a facility that could support an NHL team.

LaForge also suggested that Copps may be too old for an NHL team and that a new arena may have to be built.

He said he had not talked to the Ticats but fully intended to.

He said he loves the West Harbour site and would also be interested in a soccer team for the facility

We need site decision by July 9: Games boss

JOHN KERNAGHAN
The Hamilton Spectator

(Jul 2, 2010)
Pan Am Games boss Ian Troop doesn't like to think about Hamilton seeking an extension on a stadium location call next week.

"It's pretty simple," the Toronto 2015 CEO told reporters after speaking to the Toronto Board of Trade this week. "We need a decision on location by July 9."

Troop declined to speculate on an extension if a facilitator's report says the city and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats can't agree on a location by the end of next week.

"We want to take it one step at a time. There's been enough twists and turns in the story. I don't want to speculate because it may come true."

Troop said he has a timetable in place that must be met to deliver Pan Am facilities by July 2014 to host test events.

"We're sticky on timing. We have to control our destiny."

Troop said city officials informed him about interest in the Pan Am stadium and the city's preferred site by Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz and entertainment giant AEG.

"I know generally about it. That's all well and good, but we need to have a location by July 9."

Troop stressed that the development related to the stadium -- which would host track and field in 2015 -- is in the hands of the city, the strategic partner and the football club, the strategic tenant.

His comments came as Pan Am stadium facilitator Michael Fenn completed talks with the city and the Tiger-Cats on a location for the venue and is poised to write his report and deliver it on Tuesday so city officials and Ticat executives can view it before it goes to city council Thursday.

The Tiger-Cats have serious issues with the city's west harbour location and had the opportunity in the facilitation process to identify other sites.

"I think Michael (Fenn) is doing a very good job and we're in the 11th hour," Troop said.

"Sometimes a lot of things happen in the 11th hour."

In a separate interview, Troop indicated a key problem with choosing a stadium location hinged on whether development companies or other investors would jump in once a site was named.

The $102 million currently budgeted for the stadium would only build a 20,000-seat facility.

The Ticats want a 25,000 to 30,000 seating plan.

Troop noted that at Hamilton's Economic Summit in May, several participants expressed the belief that as soon as the site was named, interested parties would come forward.

Patrick Dillon, a board member of Infrastructure Ontario, and Effort Trust president Tom Weisz predicted a surge in interest once the site is identified. Both are strong supporters of the west harbour location.

The Katz/AEG interest is the first publicly declared for any site in Hamilton.

Troop is hopeful of a Hamilton solution but added "you bet we're looking at alternative sites. We have to make sure we've got fallbacks."

One of those could be York University, whose officials talked with the Toronto Argos in the past about a stadium at the North York campus. Also, Mississauga has shown interest in the stadium, sources close to the Canadian Football League said.

Burlington Stadium

The proposed site for the Burlington stadium which was a approved by the Niagara Escarpment Commission is about the worst site possible. It is in the far northwest corner of the city on top of the escarpment with no transit to it. It is about as far from the Go train as one can get. The only reason this is happening is because the the city wanted federal funds for a park that was already planned to go there and they had no backbone when it came to a few agry nimbies near the Shewood Forest site. I can't wait for the elections in which i will do all I can to make sure Rick Craven and Cam Jackson are ousted from council. We have really fallen since the days of McIssac let me tell ya!!!!

Surprise stadium recommendation on the table
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/802359
Facilitator offers new stadium site, seeks delay
Alternative at Red Hill and Lincoln Alexander Parkway
July 06, 2010
JOHN KERNAGHAN
(Jul 6, 2010)
f29a577b41fbb1b37b03ef1aca78.jpeg

West harbour or east Mountain: that's the short list of Pan Am stadium sites the city and the Tiger-Cats have identified in a facilitator's draft report.

A copy of the draft report obtained by The Spectator also calls for an extension of the deadline to select a final site for the 2015 Games from Friday to Aug. 31.

The proposed east Mountain location had not previously been cited as a possible stadium site. It's located at the intersection of Red Hill Valley Parkway and Lincoln Alexander Parkway at the Mud Street-Stone Church Road East interchange.

The report by facilitator Michael Fenn, which asked for comments from the parties and could change when presented to council tomorrow, recommends the city consider acquiring the property immediately while moving ahead with land assembly at the west harbour.

Fenn is recommending the city confirm to Games officials and the federal and provincial governments it will build a 24,000- to 26,000-seat stadium at one of the sites with a final decision Aug. 31.

That extra time would allow the city to continue negotiations with the Edmonton-based Katz Group, which is interested in bringing a National Hockey League team to Hamilton and operating a Pan Am

stadium in the west harbour as part of an entertainment complex.

The city and the Cats hit an impasse in May when Ticats owner Bob Young rejected the city's preferred west harbour location. He later called for a facilitator to referee talks between the two sides.

City council is expected to be asked to adopt that recommendation tomorrow. Sources at City Hall confirmed the report focuses on a second east Mountain site.

Toronto 2015 CEO Ian Troop has previously called for a firm location by Friday, noting "we're sticky on timing."

When reached by The Spectator yesterday, Troop said he would not comment until the report was final.

The east Mountain site is owned by the Ontario Realty Corporation, a public body that manages land for the Ontario government.

That location emerged at a "mature" stage of talks, Fenn wrote, after neither the city nor the football club could produce a detailed proposal for an alternative.

The report said the east Mountain option came into focus after a presentation by the Ontario Realty Corporation "late in the process."

The city's support for the second site was qualified, calling for possibly lowering the city's $45-million commitment to a stadium at that location in order to shift some funding to downtown and waterfront projects. But the Mountain location answers some of the Tiger-Cats' needs, including easy automobile access and high visibility for sponsors.

The city's favoured west harbour location near Bay and Barton streets would allow redevelopment of a brownfield site.

Much of Fenn's report centred on the "driveway to driveway" experience to attract Ticat ticket buyers.

The west harbour location would offer about 600 parking spots. An estimated 6,800 spots are needed for a 22,000-person stadium event -- 3,900 spots within one kilometre and another 2,800 within a 15-minute walk.

Fenn also recommended:

* the city ask to consult with Pan Am officials on how the facility, which will host track and field in 2015, can accommodate a track and produce an "outstanding legacy facility" for football;

* add 15,000 temporary seats to host a Grey Cup game;

* complete technical studies of both sites by Aug. 12 to understand their limitations and involve the Ticats in those studies;

* involve the Tiger-Cats in exploring third-party interests in operating the stadium and related property development;

* ask Infrastructure Ontario to move ahead with the requests for qualification process, which seeks out planning and architectural firms.

Fenn also called on the city to look at talks with the federal and provincial governments to link stadium plans with waterfront development, support GO transit terminals at west harbour and a Queen Elizabeth Way east gateway as well as seek funds to cover seating needs beyond the 15,000 required for the Pan Am Games.

KEY STATEMENTS FROM THE FACILITATOR'S DRAFT REPORT:

* "If the public comments of leading Pan Am Games officials are considered, there is apparently a real risk of losing the potential Pan Am investment as well as the Hamilton stadium and Pan Am events."

* "Hosting a Grey Cup on a periodic basis would be very beneficial to the economy and reputation of Hamilton."

* "An element of scarcity in seating availability (at a stadium) is potentially positive from a marketing standpoint and it reduces avoidable capital costs."

* "Future success (for the Ticats) appears to depend on increased suburban and ex-urban attendees and more ticket sales in the higher-priced segment of the market."

I knew all along this would happen. A surprise stadium site would be discovered where a 20,000 spot surface parking lot could be built. The suburban (majority) councilors will fall over themselves to approve this.

And they want another two months to study it? Someone at PanAm pull the plug.

Torontonians know very little about football... why the urge for an NFL team, I have no idea...

From Bob Young, Tiger Cats owner.....

July 6, 2010

Mayor Fred Eisenberger
City of Hamilton
and Members of Council

Subject: Moving Forward

Dear Fred,

The Hamilton Tiger-Cat organization has had an opportunity to digest the Report of Facilitator Michael Fenn and the recommendations that he has made to both Council and the Tiger-Cats. Having grown up a proud Hamiltonian, I am grateful to Mr. Fenn for his sincere efforts to bring us together.

I am certain that you would agree with me that the past two months have afforded both parties with greater insight into the vital importance of reaching some strategic decisions to ensure we build a stadium to welcome the Pan American Games, and serve as a sports and entertainment mecca for our community for decades to come.

With few exceptions, we embrace Mr. Fenn's Report. We are mindful of the concerns held by the Province of Ontario, and those of Ian Troop, Pan Am Hostco CEO, as they pertain to agreeing on a sustainable site immediately. I am certain that you share our anxiety that further delays will force the Pan Am Committee to seek venues elsewhere in the province. That would be a horrible outcome for our City.

The identification by Mr. Fenn of the "ORC" lands on the East Mountain was not our first choice. You will know that we had several other locations that we believe would have made fundamentally sound business cases for the stadium and its tenants. For various reasons these sites were taken off the table.

Mr. Fenn's choice of the "ORC" East Mountain lands represent a compromise to our organization. We are prepared to accept that compromise now, and negotiate with the Province of Ontario and the City to make this a reality. There are a wide range of advantages inherent in this compromise site proposed by Mr. Fenn:

1. The Government of Ontario through the ORC (Ontario Realty Corp.) own these lands and expensive land assembly is not required.

2. The subject property is within the urban boundary of Hamilton and permits me to achieve my goal as Caretaker for the team, to ensure the Tiger-Cats remain in Hamilton for another one hundred and forty years.

3. The East Mountain ORC lands would not be the subject of Ontario Municipal Board hearings, or court actions, and the property could be "shovel ready" in a very timely manner.

4. The location of the compromise stadium would be very convenient for most fans. As Mr. Fenn properly noted, our business plan requires that we elevate our marketing activities to strategically position the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as a "regional" Southwestern Ontario CFL team. The "ORC" East Mountain compromise speaks to the importance of "tomorrow’s fan" and will serve as a facility to draw people into Hamilton for football and other events. As well, the site will not negatively impact area residents and as such, the stadium will have a great deal more multi-purpose flexibility.

5. Senior executives of Metrolinx, the province of Ontario’s public transit organization, met with senior city officials, the facilitator and ourselves and they confirmed that regardless of stadium location a downtown Hamilton station at Liuna station is part of GO’s expansion plans.

6. The compromise site achieves the objective of a second Hamilton GO train station as confirmed in our meeting with Metrolinx. It would be our expectation that a GO bus terminal would be on site, as well as ample parking for other buses to support our strategic regional bus/ticket marketing program that we will launch with the CFL throughout Southwestern Ontario.

7. The lack of remediation, planning and expropriation problems associated with the East Mountain "ORC" site enable us to conclude that together we can complete the construction of the stadium as soon as 2013 within the budget commitment of the city of Hamilton.

8. We believe that the essential ingredients to a successful and sustainable stadium, as documented in the Facilitator’s Report, are inextricably tied to the sustainability of the Hamilton Tiger-Cat Football club, the oldest professional sports franchise in North America, in Hamilton.

Our Commitment to the City of Hamilton Success in any business undertaking is the sum total of everyone doing their part. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are prepared to do their part and more. Our contributions to the new stadium will total in excess of $74,000,000.00. Specifically:

1. The Club will contribute $15 million to the cost of the stadium and precinct.

2. The Club will operate the stadium and cover the estimated annual operating cost of $3 million per year. Simply put, the City will not be responsible for stadium operating losses going forward. Over the 10 year initial management contract this will total $30,000,000.00.

3. The club will assume the transition costs between today and the opening of the new stadium of an estimated $10,000.000.00.

4. The Tiger-Cats commit $14,000,000.00 to bring two Grey Cup Games to Hamilton as soon as possible. The quantifiable economic benefit to the community will exceed $200 million.

5. Associated with this, working with the City, we will ensure the location of the Grey Cup Festivals in the area of the West Harbour/North End community. This will be an opportunity to showcase our Waterfront to in excess of 20 million viewers throughout North America.

6. As you know, I am involved in the business of professional soccer through the NASL and the Carolina Railhawks Soccer team. It is our view there is a great deal of synergy for combined football and soccer organizations. As such, we have secured franchise right for Hamilton with the North American Soccer League. You will find, attached, a letter from F. Selby Wellman, Chairman of the NASL Finance Committee.

Working together, I am confident that we can bring the appropriate level of professional soccer to Hamilton. Purchasing and establishing a new professional team in Hamilton will require an investment of greater than $5,000,000.00 over its first few years of operations.

7. CFL marketing. Having met with CFL Commissioner, Mark Cohon, you will be aware that the Tiger-Cat "brand" is amongst the strongest in North America. This is a reflection of the tremendous fan loyalty that has evolved over many years. Our fan base, web interest, and viewership are amongst the highest in the CFL. To this end, The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and the CFL, will enter into a long term strategic marketing program to communities within 90 kms of Hamilton to encourage them to attend Tiger-Cat games and spend time in the City. It would be our intention to work closely with the Economic Development Department of the City to enhance these CFL marketing investments.

8. As you know, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have formed a working agreement with Mr George Schott CEO of Osmington Inc. As referenced in the Globe and Mail, Osmington Inc, a Thompson family company, enjoys an enviable reputation within the development, finance and entertainment community. Specifically, Osmington developed the highly successful MTS Centre in Winnipeg, the third busiest arena in Canada. Mr. Schott has deep roots and has invested heavily in the Hamilton community. He shares our sense of enthusiasm about ancillary and complementary developments at the "ORC" East Mountain stadium site. The City of Hamilton may be assured that through our collective resources, we will do our absolute utmost to optimize the stadium precinct.

9. The Club has engaged Mr. Denis Braham, Chairman and CEO of Winstead PC, one of the leading stadium construction advisory firms in North America. They have recently advised on both the new Cowboys Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL, the Meadowlands home of both the New York Giants and New York Jets, and the new Yankee Stadium in New York City.

10. Consistent with the Ticats highly successful community outreach “BeFit” program, we intend to leverage the site infrastructure to provide a youth leadership program for the East Mountain community. This will engage the entire community and would provide fitness, nutrition, obesity management and leadership training skills that will have a lasting value for our young people.

The Way Ahead

It is time to move forward. There is so much more that binds the City of Hamilton and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats than divides us. My family has lived and worked in this community since 1870. We have supported a wide range of worthy charity and community endeavours and will continue to do so. My commitment to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats is stronger than ever as evidenced by commitments made in the past, and commitments made today.

But the time for "two track" discussions must conclude or Hamilton risks losing Provincial and Federal funding that it may never see again. The "ORC East Mountain" lands are not our first choice. They are not our second choice. But it is a site that allows us to move forward now.

I would ask that Council consider the significant proposal that I am advancing through this letter. We are prepared to enter into negotiations with the City and with the Ontario Government through the Ontario Realty Corporation, with a view to completing a Definitive Agreement on the "ORC East Mountain" site as quickly as possible. Council will be assured of our total cooperation moving forward.

I will endeavour to make myself available to elaborate upon our commitment in
conjunction with our President Scott Mitchell and my Corporate CFO Doug Rye, C.A.

Sincerely,

Mr. Robert (Bob) Young
Caretaker

cc Members of Council
cc Chris Murray
cc David Adames

cc Premier Dalton McGuinty
cc Hon. Sophia etc
cc Ted McMeekin MPP

Back