News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

The city helped pay for BMO. In exchange, the city got to use the field. Obviously that arrangement is no longer in place (which I think everyone agrees is for the better) with MLSE paying for turf upgrades at Lamport and Lakeshore Collegiate.

The city helped pay for BMO. In exchange, the city got to use the field. Obviously that arrangement is no longer in place (which I think everyone agrees is for the better) with MLSE paying for turf upgrades at Lamport and Lakeshore Collegiate.

The city helped pay for BMO yes that is true...as did the feds and the province.....the city, however, retained ownership of the whole thing. True, MLSE (for a significant capital contribution) got a management contract where they share in the stadium profits (and they also cover the first tier of losses in any year there are any) but no business text I have ever read would consider this deal (where the private sector partner contributed +/- $20 million to the construction and also laid out $30 million on day one to create the major tenant for the building) as a private company being "given a blank cheque".

any one know how the rogers center will be configuration for 2015 pan american games. Because in the bid book it states it will seat 46,000

uhh as it is. It only seats 46,000 for baseball plus almost 3500 in boxes (they probably aren't counting boxes in the book). Considering the stadium already has a pretty extensive area for media, it won't need any changes made to it like we saw with GM Place in Vancouver

York makes some sense at least, but someone has to come up with a share of the costs. Can York do that? Would Vaughan do that?

I think Mississauga makes some sense and if the stadium is done right, could become a permanent home to the Argos, who already practice at UT's Erindale campus. There are several tracts of land near MCC and/or the airport (Hershey) which could work. Proximity to the rest of the Games remains excellent and ongoing use of the facilities might be just as good as they could be with York - who in fairness could also woo the Argos as they did when BMO was being discussed.

I know the CFL is a dead brand in Ontario, but if the NFL ever lands in TO then this type of arrangement makes sense for the Argos. Further, a USL team or even it's own CFL team (Argos or otherwise) makes more sense in Mississauga (6th largest city in Canada) than it does at York.

...but the money has to come from somewhere.

York makes some sense at least, but someone has to come up with a share of the costs. Can York do that? Would Vaughan do that?

I think Mississauga makes some sense and if the stadium is done right, could become a permanent home to the Argos, who already practice at UT's Erindale campus. There are several tracts of land near MCC and/or the airport (Hershey) which could work. Proximity to the rest of the Games remains excellent and ongoing use of the facilities might be just as good as they could be with York - who in fairness could also woo the Argos as they did when BMO was being discussed.

I know the CFL is a dead brand in Ontario, but if the NFL ever lands in TO then this type of arrangement makes sense for the Argos. Further, a USL team or even it's own CFL team (Argos or otherwise) makes more sense in Mississauga (6th largest city in Canada) than it does at York.

...but the money has to come from somewhere.

MIssissauga makes more sense than YorkU? Even my spouse can state the advantage in two words - *subway accessible!*

Then you know nothing. The TV ratings prove that the CFL is hardly a dead brand in Ontario, and the Bills in Toronto debacle lends credence to the notion that support for the NFL in Toronto is more wide than deep.

I predict the stadium will go ahead in Hamilton, as it should.

Back