Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

If you need another "waste of time but pleasant distraction" then a future skyline might be just the thing the doctor ordered! :)

LOL - are you offering a commi$$ion? ... I'm not sure if I have a UT retirement package (no-one's contacted me) lol.

I'll take the shadow studies over "common sense."

To be honest, there is no "common sense" - and that includes the "Studies".

Who decides what degree of shadow is acceptable and at what point are shadows not acceptable?.

It's a big city with big buildings - there's going to be shadows. Reducing the height of a building by 5 or 6 floors doesn't eliminate shadows, it merely confines them to a particular area which is ridiculous because shadows don't stay in any particular area for very long, they move.

Who decides what degree of shadow is acceptable and at what point are shadows not acceptable?.

It's a big city with big buildings - there's going to be shadows. Reducing the height of a building by 5 or 6 floors doesn't eliminate shadows, it merely confines them to a particular area which is ridiculous because shadows don't stay in any particular area for very long, they move.

The post to which I was responding cast doubt on the accuracy of the findings of shadow studies, not the subjective interpretation thereof, which is why it was deserving of mild ridicule.

And, in practical terms, you're sort of mistaken; in many cases, especially in areas as dense as this part of the downtown core, making adjustments to the height, massing, or built form of a building can for practical purposes make shadows "disappear", insofar as a new shadow may fall on a place of interest that is already shadowed, rendering concerns over the new shadow moot.

I agree fully with you, but with some in this crowd, your put down for even arguing that one. It’s hopeless. 5hey don’t get it.

5ho doesn't get what @ptbotrmpfn? Some in this crowd foolishly cling to professional studies predicated upon accepted standards that are applied consistently across the city? Sounds like uncommon sense to me.

From Claude Cormier's site
http://www.claudecormier.com/en/projet/commerce-court/

commerce-court-22.jpg
commerce-court-08.jpg
commerce-court-13.jpg
commerce-court-02.jpg

Attachments

• commerce-court-08.jpg
    commerce-court-08.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 752
  • commerce-court-22.jpg
    commerce-court-22.jpg