Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

Let's not single out that group without looking at ourselves first. Afterall, "build to suit " is the leading pitch for most developments.

The undulation is a timid afterthought. 400 metres or 1000 metres wouldn't change it. I'll say it again. Right now, it's mediocre architecture replacing better architecture. It is very tall. (but, still not tall enough)

Agree it's not great architecture, replacing A with B grade design. The pavilion in particular needs a rethink. The wavy corners on the tower do seem like a lazy design afterthought and the pole on top is especially ridiculous. Also agree that the tower looks rather bulky and schtumpig in the skyline render and diminishes everything around it.

Agree it's not great architecture, replacing A with B grade design. The pavilion in particular needs a rethink. The wavy corners on the tower do seem like a lazy design afterthought and the pole on top is especially ridiculous. Also agree that the tower looks rather bulky and schtumpig in the skyline render and diminishes everything around it.

Haha, wavy lazy, bulky, schtumpig, and the pole, lol, .....yup bring on 'the cereal box:p

I like the pole and the pavilion and the ripped sides. It's the location that is an issue. It just seems crowded into that spot. In addition it is far from shadowing any parks other that the existing plaza which is a hidden gem.

Well it is a box, the unzipped corners are an attempt at some sort of elan but to me just register as an afterthought. The awkwardly placed pole seems an attempt to make up for a height deficiency. The pavilion is the most egregious part of this project to me though. Destroying the city's purest example of the International style by Pei, and something Toronto is noted for architecturally, with a chintzy glass tent and second rate tower is not a step forward if you care at all about good architecture.

I know office projects like these prefer larger floorplates but for the sake of appearances alone - I know, I'm shallow that way - I'd like to see the thing slimmed by 25% and heightened by 10-15%. Oh, and lose the dorky pole/antenna.

I know office projects like these prefer larger floorplates but for the sake of appearances alone - I know, I'm shallow that way - I'd like to see the thing slimmed by 25% and heightened by 10-15%. Oh, and lose the dorky pole/antenna.

I'd go further - can we have something more than just the regular core in the centre type of arrangement? It is boring as hell for one.

AoD

I'd go further - can we have something more than just the regular core in the centre type of arrangement? It is boring as hell for one.

AoD

On the side exposed to the exterior? Escalators instead of elevators? They do say we're about 3 to 5 years away from "turbo lifts". I vaguely recall them saying that 5 years ago too.

On the side exposed to the exterior? Escalators instead of elevators? They do say we're about 3 to 5 years away from "turbo lifts". I vaguely recall them saying that 5 years ago too.

On the side - some kind of different structural system than the typical tower. Rare, but not unknown.

AoD

How would that work for the exterior? Having a giant column of spandrel glass or aluminum sandwich panels in not very attractive on a banal glass tower. I'm sure some tenants would love such an arrangement. It would suck to have a workstation where the traditional core setup would be. It would be like working in the converted count rooms and vault spaces under the bank towers.

I looked it up in case anyone didn't already and was interested. Thyssenkrupp's Multi. Game changer. Of course, too expensive for Toronto's developers in any of our lifetimes.

Last edited:
The Multi looks like a real maintenance headache to me. The more complex the system, the greater the likelihood of it breaking down. Gotta go take another look at it though, it's a very cool concept.

How would that work for the exterior? Having a giant column of spandrel glass or aluminum sandwich panels in not very attractive on a banal glass tower.

I looked it up in case anyone didn't already and was interested. Thyssenkrupp's Multi. Game changer. Of course, too expensive for Toronto's developers in any of our lifetimes.

Not quite - something along the lines of the office component of the Well perhaps.

AoD

Maybe developers need to spread around the work more instead of throwing everything to HP who are clearly scrambling at this point.

Back