Toronto 175 Cummer | 10.49m | 3s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam

and the councillour's response to the article:

Strange how Lily Cheng didn't offer an actual solution, even after years of waiting for a resolution that's costing the taxpayers thousands of dollars. Shameful.

Last edited:
Housing advocate Mark Richardson, with the group HousingNowTO.com calls Cheng’s motion a disappointing attempt to undo years of work amid a housing crisis. “They’re only being put into council this week because chances are by the end of the month this appeal will be heard, the local group will lose that appeal, and the city will be moving ahead with the plan so we can have people moved in by December,” he said.

Richardson expressed concern that another delay launched in the warmth of June will have dire consequences when colder months arrive.

“People who are currently sleeping in tents and ravines in Willowdale need a place to stay which is indoor, secure, and supportive,” he said.

Strange how Lily Cheng didn't offer an actual solution, even after years of waiting for a resolution that's costing the taxpayers thousands of dollars. Shameful.
Maybe you are waiting for "years" for a resolution , but Lily was only taking office as a city councilor since Nov 15, 2022 and she was not obligated to even get involved into this issue before she was elected. Where are the "years" for her?

In addition, I support her "actual" solution to make the site abstinence and seniors only. Reason? I think it's just common sense that the demographics near the site are seniors. If the City Council accepts that, the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Housing advocate Mark Richardson, with the group HousingNowTO.com calls Cheng’s motion a disappointing attempt to undo years of work amid a housing crisis. “They’re only being put into council this week because chances are by the end of the month this appeal will be heard, the local group will lose that appeal, and the city will be moving ahead with the plan so we can have people moved in by December,” he said.

Richardson expressed concern that another delay launched in the warmth of June will have dire consequences when colder months arrive.

“People who are currently sleeping in tents and ravines in Willowdale need a place to stay which is indoor, secure, and supportive,” he said.

The major problem of some housing advocates is, they only consider the beautiful vision they have in mind and ignore the reality. They think as long as they are "right in principles", they can blindly condemn those that just have a different opinion with them. This is dictatorship and tyranny! To be honest, this mentality is very dangerous.

In fact, most people opposing this particular proposal from the City have legitimate concerns as they are talking about specifics not generality (as some advocates always do). They just demanded negotiations with the City to come up with a middle ground. They have perfect right in a democratic society to bring it to the OLT for trials. If we all believe into the system, just be patient and let the results come out, and I still believe a win-win situation will be achieved.

If we all believe into the system, just be patient and let the results come out
If that’s the case, I think Council should vote down these motions and allow this appeal to go to the OLT - where it will lose.

Sadly, I can afford to wait, unlike the people being denied the homes that were to be built here.

During the last Municipal Election in 2022, with 4 Councillor candidates (1 didn't even campaign) main election issues for the Ward included.... Modular Supportive Housing on front lawn of Willowdale Manor Senior Residence at 175 Cummer, Bait-&-Switch 5800 Yonge Refugee to Homeless Shelter and resulting Community Safety issues, proposed mega Refugee Shelter at North York Novotel that would have been another Bait-&-Switch job,...
- CllrFilion and his Chief of Staff Markus O'Brien Fehr (endorsed by disgraced Mayor John Tory, and Special Interest Groups including MoreHousing / HousingNowTO,.... argued for Modular Supportive Housing at 175 Cummer and ignored Community concerns about community crime/safety issues that resulted from 5800 Yonge Homeless Shelter
- Lily Cheng and Daniel Lee were against,...

Daniel started his campaign late and was constantly playing catch-up,... Lily won, Markus came in second,.... but when you look at the areas where Lily won VS Markus lost,...
- North of Finch, where 5800 Yonge and 175 Cummer are, really just a competition between Lily and Daniel with Lily winning; Markus lost badly,... only won 1 poll area in Moore Park that got Sewer infrastucture upgrade,... in areas east of Cactus Ave, Markus did so badly, he was only competitive against the 4th Candidate who didn't even campaign!
- East of Yonge (this is half the Ward!): Markus only won 1 small poll area east of Yonge (Delmanor Retirement Home); Lily dominated area south of Finch and high-density Yonge Corridor
- West of Yonge and South of Finch: Map makes it look like Markus easily won but map doesn't really show difference in house area VS concentrated Condo vote. Basically a tie between Markus and Lily with Markus winning,... Of 14 Election Day Polls entirely south of Finch and east of Yonge, Markus won by 111 votes (3.3%) of 3359 total votes! But counting 3 overflow poll areas (2 in high-density condo area where Lily is stronger), Markus won this area by 14 votes (0.325%) of 4307 total votes!

While Lily is a supporter of More Housing, more Affordable Housing,... her campaign promise for 175 Cummer was to give the Seniors at Willowdale Manor a Voice - she Listened to the Seniors to be their Voice,... which the City failed to do during their virtual Community Information/Consultation sessions.

Cllr Lily Cheng was given a clear mandate from the voters of Willowdale - to protect the Seniors at 175 Cummer Willowdale Manor Senior Residence,... and now she's following through,...
Willowdale_2022CouncillorPollResults_LegendBikeLane.png

Image source prior to addition of Shelter sites, proposed Bike Lanes and diverted Sec37 Infrastructure upgrades: https://spacing.ca/toronto/2022/11/21/election-how-toronto-voted/

Sadly, I can afford to wait, unlike the people being denied the homes that were to be built here.
I am fed up with your moral blackmail. For those that follow the legal procedures to protect their rights, what's wrong with that? You guys keep stigmatizing the people who oppose this modular housing with legitimate concerns, but never condemn the government for their bad policies, mismanagement, bureaucracy and selfishness that make all of these social problems out of control in the first place? How's that fair?

The major problem of some housing advocates is, they only consider the beautiful vision they have in mind and ignore the reality. They think as long as they are "right in principles", they can blindly condemn those that just have a different opinion with them. This is dictatorship and tyranny! To be honest, this mentality is very dangerous.

In fact, most people opposing this particular proposal from the City have legitimate concerns as they are talking about specifics not generality (as some advocates always do). They just demanded negotiations with the City to come up with a middle ground. They have perfect right in a democratic society to bring it to the OLT for trials. If we all believe into the system, just be patient and let the results come out, and I still believe a win-win situation will be achieved.

I am fed up with your moral blackmail. For those that follow the legal procedures to protect their rights, what's wrong with that? You guys keep stigmatizing the people who oppose this modular housing with legitimate concerns, but never condemn the government for their bad policies, mismanagement, bureaucracy and selfishness that make all of these social problems out of control in the first place? How's that fair?
You’re stigmatizing the people who want to live there. I’m fed up with your BS; let’s be clear what you want: you don’t want ‘undesirables’ living in your neighborhood, and all your talk of ‘legitimate concerns’ is window-dressing for that.

You want a win-win situation? Go propose a location in Lily Cheng’s ward that doesn’t involve putting requirements on the people who’ll end up living there, and commit to it.

Note that Lily Cheng herself doesn’t propose a concrete alternate location that she or the community commits to back. It’s a stalling tactic, and everyone - including you - knows that.

"Legitimate concerns". You're going to find few friends around here, or in public generally, if that's the position you're taking.

Lily Cheng is everything that's wrong with the housing policy in this city. A councillor who talks about the urgent need for more housing, complains about the homeless problem, and then blatantly refuses to provide the housing she has campaigned on seems on brand for this city's wealthy insulated suburban hypocrites.

Lily Cheng is everything that's wrong with the housing policy in this city. A councillor who talks about the urgent need for more housing, complains about the homeless problem, and then blatantly refuses to provide the housing she has campaigned on seems on brand for this city's wealthy insulated suburban hypocrites.

Precisely. It is in some ways the purest — and most cynical — form of NIMBYism. “Of course I support new housing, just not in MY backyard.”

Precisely. It is in some ways the purest — and most cynical — form of NIMBYism. “Of course I support new housing, just not in MY backyard.”

Haha,.... just last week, I publicly argued with Cllr Cheng at a Community Townhall because too many new development precedents are being set since she took office!
- The Avondale proposal requested about triple the allowable Density, their settlement still greatly exceeds the Double Density routinely being granted by OMB/OLT since Feb 2020,... that triggered a wave of Redevelopment Application in the area
- The 6200 Yonge settlement - while chopping tower height still exceed the 6.0FSI allowable density and will set a new precedent for height and density VS the 13-14-storey with 6.00FSI that was being adopted for these mid-block developments within the new Yonge Street North Secondary Plan
- I publicly blasted Cllr Cheng for only stating the Oakburn settlement decreased from 18-storey to 11-storey,... which falsely implies that Density and Unit Count decreased by about 1/3,.. which did not happen since Density and Unit Count remains roughly the same as proposed! https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...g-kirkor-architects.32526/page-2#post-1937209

As I noted earlier in the thread......I'll listen to just about any argument, and be a good sport weighing its merits.

In that context, If Councillor Cheng were sincere in her desire to provide housing; but just not at this exact spot, because 'trees'..........ok....

I mean, far too late to be revisiting this on this site..........but I'll bite.

But what I want to then see is a different site, clearly identified, in her ward, close by, where there will be no trees argument or seniors argument etc; and then I expect her to
offset some of the costs of late move by directing available s.37 funds/CBC funds to cover the cost of shifting the proposal, and damned straight, I want that residents association to chip in too.

Ideal, no; but I'd make the deal to move on; and to establish the precedent that you don't get out of your obligation to assist in the housing crisis because staff find an imperfect site. Great, fine, sure, go get a better one
in the same neighbourhood and ward; you have 90 days, Go!

I'll entertain the on-site reconfiguration of the build as well; but again, the Councillor and the Association should pay for any accretive costs to those changes.

The fact that neither motion reads as a complete and effective thought really means both should be voted down as of right.

Haha,.... just last week, I publicly argued with Cllr Cheng at a Community Townhall because too many new development precedents are being set since she took office!
- The Avondale proposal requested about triple the allowable Density, their settlement still greatly exceeds the Double Density routinely being granted by OMB/OLT since Feb 2020,... that triggered a wave of Redevelopment Application in the area
- The 6200 Yonge settlement - while chopping tower height still exceed the 6.0FSI allowable density and will set a new precedent for height and density VS the 13-14-storey with 6.00FSI that was being adopted for these mid-block developments within the new Yonge Street North Secondary Plan
- I publicly blasted Cllr Cheng for only stating the Oakburn settlement decreased from 18-storey to 11-storey,... which falsely implies that Density and Unit Count decreased by about 1/3,.. which did not happen since Density and Unit Count remains roughly the same as proposed! https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...g-kirkor-architects.32526/page-2#post-1937209

I was referring in my comment to the Councillor. I have no idea who you are.

Back