Toronto 10 Oakburn Crescent | 40m | 11s | KG | Kirkor Architects

Twas a settlement, and it is now public.

This one got a serious haircut.

It has dropped from 18s to 11s.

1682012936388.png

1682012990765.png

1682013020045.png

1682013058093.png

This is hardly a haircut, they went from 4.51FSI to proposing 4.43FSI,... while height went from 18-storey to 11-storey, they're fattening up the Podium to keep similar total unit count

While this subject site is within the North York Centre Secondary Plan area,... the adjacent Single Residential House Neighbourhoods directly to the north are not,... and these Single Residential Houses Neighbourhoods must be protected via 45-degree angular planes from rear property lines - as I demonstrated recently for 80 Sheppard West - Sheppard Ave Commercial Area Secondary Plan - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/80-sheppard-w-80-sheppard-west-s.35198/#post-1925774

This 45-degree angular plane rule to protect the Single Residential House areas have never been violated. Here, I'm not convinced KG-Group's proposed settlement is in compliance,... also here, at this Subject Site the North York Centre Secondary Plan allows for 2.0FSI Density, with 33% Density Incentives resulting in 2.66FSI

Here's an example of a nearby Development proposal that complies with the 45 degree angular plane rule to protect adjacent Single Residential House Neighbourhood:

This is hardly a haircut, they went from 4.51FSI to proposing 4.43FSI,... while height went from 18-storey to 11-storey, they're fattening up the Podium to keep similar total unit count

Haircut is the standard term we've used for years to describe a height reduction; I don't know that we have a singular term like it for suggesting that the density has been reallocated.

While this subject site is within the North York Centre Secondary Plan area,... the adjacent Single Residential House Neighbourhoods directly to the north are not,... and these Single Residential Houses Neighbourhoods must be protected via 45-degree angular planes from rear property lines - as I demonstrated recently for 80 Sheppard West - Sheppard Ave Commercial Area Secondary Plan - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/80-sheppard-w-80-sheppard-west-s.35198/#post-1925774

This 45-degree angular plane rule to protect the Single Residential House areas have never been violated. Here, I'm not convinced KG-Group's proposed settlement is in compliance,... also here, at this Subject Site the North York Centre Secondary Plan allows for 2.0FSI Density, with 33% Density Incentives resulting in 2.66FSI

Here's an example of a nearby Development proposal that complies with the 45 degree angular plane rule to protect adjacent Single Residential House Neighbourhood:

I certainly would not quibble w/your expertise on the NYCSS; but I would note that City Planning is set to move away from the 45 degree angular plane rule as an absolute (and in some units already has)

I was not editorializing however, on the virtue or lack thereof in the revised proposal, merely sharing the info.

If the City has accepted a Settlement offer here, it seems unlikely the OLT would refuse it.

@Northern Light I would note,... the North York Centre Secondary Plan is set to be reviewed/updated/strengthened by year end,.... not necessarily re-written but to be brought up more closer to what is routinely granted at OMB/OLT for the area. IE: Currently North York Centre Secondary Plan allows for maximum FSI Density of 4.5FSI at most site and 5.98FSI for prime corner sites with direct Subway Connection,.... but since February 2020 when Diamente got Double Density at OMB/OLT for their 5300 Yonge proposal,... everybody and their grandmothers have been applying for Double Density, getting refused at City and successfully appealing at OMB/OLT for Double Density! Thus, one purpose of updating the 25+ year old North York Centre Secondary Plan is to cut out the OMB/OLT and get housing built faster,...

Haircut is the standard term we've used for years to describe a height reduction;
Just noting that when I see the term 'haircut' invoked, I think "a couple floors off the top." I don't think a 39% reduction in height, like here, which would be far more than just hair, taking all of the head and shoulders too.

Can't win some days...........

One person says 'hair cut' it's barely a trim, just look at the FSI!

Second person says 'hair cut', if you lose 1/3 of your height it's more than your hair that's missing!

To which I say, who am to judge how much hair a building had before it visited the City Planning/OLT barber shop.

LOL I'm merely here to report how much ended up on the floor.

Back