Toronto 175 Cummer | 10.49m | 3s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam

I notice that you’ve done a bang-up job not answering the questions people have put to you, instead, deflecting and trying to direct the conversation to other avenues.

Namely:

1. What is the alternate location close by that you, the Councillor and the community will support?
2. What are these specific bad policies, mismanagement, bureaucracy and selfishness that you believe have caused this situation?
3. What specific right have been infringed on?

Oh I see - now you respond. So you believe (checks response) that the Eglinton Crosstown is one of many projects that have caused the housing crisis and has directly resulted in the need for this supportive housing project at 175 Cummer?

I will truly enjoy listening to your line of argument at the OLT. By all means, please donate lots of money to your neighborhood’s RA and depute there.

Oh I see - now you respond. So you believe (checks response) that the Eglinton Crosstown is one of many projects that have caused the housing crisis and has directly resulted in the need for this supportive housing project at 175 Cummer?

I will truly enjoy listening to your line of argument at the OLT. By all means, please donate lots of money to your neighborhood’s RA and depute there.
I am not sure if you have read over my whole arguments. You seem to like picking one sentence and make conclusion out of it.

First of all, I mentioned a few times, the governments have bad records of managing the tax payer's money, causing a lot of waste. Don't you see the governments are crying for money to build more housing? I am showing you the examples where the money has been wasted. If they were not being wasted, they could have been used to build more housing and do better maintenance. Got it?

Secondly, I provided directly examples to show how the immigration policy, how the provincial and city has been slow to respond to the housing challenges, causing to the housing issue to be out of control. Got it?

Last edited:
I notice that you’ve done a bang-up job not answering the questions people have put to you, instead, deflecting and trying to direct the conversation to other avenues.

Namely:

1. What is the alternate location close by that you, the Councillor and the community will support?
2. What are these specific bad policies, mismanagement, bureaucracy and selfishness that you believe have caused this situation?

I noticed that you could only understand short and direct statements. Here you go.

1. I clearly indicated it many times. I support the modular housing at 175 Cummer to be abstinence, and for seniors only, due to the demographics near the site is seniors.
2. I clearly mentioned that as well in my previous post. Irresponsible immigration policy, slow to respond to the housing challenges, lack of political will, inefficient use of money caused the housing issue to be out of control.
3. My answer to that was to refer to Lily's motions, but I don't mind saying it again here, cuz you seem to need some help understanding Lily's motions. The government made at least two mistakes as follow.

- Firstly, the seniors at Willowdale Manor who live on the property and a mere 20 metres from the potential new neighbors were never consulted in an accessible way. Further, a majority of the seniors are not native English speakers and require language assistance in Mandarin, Farsi and Russian. This never happened.

- The second mistake was designing the site and ordering the units without zoning being firm and without consideration for the seniors whose input was never meaningfully received. The current site plan eliminates accessible green space and old growth trees that are a treasured amenity for the seniors. Keep in mind that, in 1997 a development was proposed for the property that was vigorously opposed by the previous councillor at the time who recognized the importance of preserving this green space for the seniors.

I think they have the perfect rights to follow the legal procedures to make sure their voice is heard.

Last edited:
@Northern Light -
Very interesting post, lot's of good data here, can you elaborate on this point though ?
Specifically, in respect of property tax, are you aware that renters in older apartment buildings pay roughly double the rate of property tax of a single-family homeowner?

Renters of course do not pay property tax, not directly, but of course the landlord owner will incorporate this into the rent !
Looking at the city of Toronto tax rates:

What criteria differentiates Multi-Residential vs New Multi-Residential ? I was trying to look this up.

1. I clearly indicated it many times. I support the modular housing at 175 Cummer to be abstinence, and for seniors only, due to the demographics near the site is seniors.
2. I clearly mentioned that as well in my previous post. Irresponsible immigration policy, slow to respond to the housing challenges, lack of political will, inefficient use of money caused the housing issue to be out of control.
3. My answer to that was to refer to Lily's motions, but I don't mind saying it again here, cuz you seem to need some help understanding Lily's motions. The government made at least two mistakes as follow.
  1. I specifically asked for a location that "doesn't involve putting requirements on the people who are living there". I would have more respect for you and your position if you came straight out and said "I don't like poor people or people who I think could cause problems living close to me". At least that would be honest.
  2. Why stop there? You may as well expand your reach and blame the capitalist system, the financialization of housing by current homeowners, boomers voting for policies and politicians that beggared subsequent generations, oligopolies in Canada causing a stagnation of middle-class incomes... Plenty of blame to go around, and plenty on Canadians themselves.
  3. No one has a veto power over those living next to them. There are a wide spectrum of people who are homeless - from those who are chronically homeless and have a spate of problems to those who are transitionally homeless. At some point society is going to have to decide what to do about the full spectrum. We have chosen to do our best to house them, and now, the only question is where. Given the choice, every neighbourhood is going to try and choose the most 'desirable' of this population, and push dealing with the remainder to someone else, to some other neighbourhood. Bluntly: that's what you're advocating for. But if everyone does this (And why not? What makes your neighbourhood so unique?) the people most in need are left with absolutely nowhere to go. So, my position is that just like every other neighbourhood in the city you have to do your part and house any people in need - no matter who they are. If you don't want to do so, be honest about the fact that you don't want 'undesirables' living next to you, and don't hide behind the fiction that process wasn't followed. Let the chips fall where they may, and be judged (or not) for that position.
Oh - and if Lily Cheng was so confident that process wasn't followed, this should be a slam dunk at the OLT. The fact that she and Stan Cho have been stalling the hearing repeatedly, and coming up with additional stalling tacties implies that their negotiating position is weak. You don't come to the table with a settlement if you know you're going to win.

Last edited:
I specifically asked for a location that "doesn't involve putting requirements on the people who are living there"
Maybe you are too tired now as you don't seem to remember what you were asking. Your question was "1. What is the alternate location close by that you, the Councillor and the community will support?"

Your question did not have the condition of "doesn't involve putting requirements on the people who are living there". Let's take some rest, my friend.

@Northern Light -
Very interesting post, lot's of good data here, can you elaborate on this point though ?

Renters of course do not pay property tax, not directly, but of course the landlord owner will incorporate this into the rent !
Looking at the city of Toronto tax rates:

What criteria differentiates Multi-Residential vs New Multi-Residential ? I was trying to look this up.

I will gladly do so, but it is late tonight, so soon, not yet!

You want a win-win situation? Go propose a location in Lily Cheng’s ward that doesn’t involve putting requirements on the people who’ll end up living there, and commit to it
Maybe you are too tired now as you don't seem to remember what you were asking. Your question was "1. What is the alternate location close by that you, the Councillor and the community will support?"
On the contrary: perhaps it is your memory that is failing you and you who sorely needs rest. This - and the qualifier - was the very first question I asked a few pages back. I had assumed that you would have remembered the specific question and was doing you a service by paraphrasing all the questions that had been asked into a convenient list, but I guess not.

This is the post in question should you need additional context:

Post in thread 'Toronto | 175 Cummer | 10.49m | 3s | City of Toronto | Montgomery Sisam'
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...f-toronto-montgomery-sisam.32063/post-1958307

Last edited:
This - and the qualifier - was the very first question I asked a few pages back.
My friend, it's very confusing to me, as your first reference a few pages back sounds like a statement to me rather than a question.

Namely:

The more recent questions you brought up didn't have this condition and I clearly indicated that I was answering these questions. To be honest, I don't understand what's the point of adding such requirement? I am just endorsing a win-win resolution, and if accepted, the project can start immediately without further delays.

Why stop there? You may as well expand your reach and blame the capitalist system, the financialization of housing by current homeowners, boomers voting for policies and politicians that beggared subsequent generations, oligopolies in Canada causing a stagnation of middle-class incomes... Plenty of blame to go around, and plenty on Canadians themselves.
I am fed up with your baseless accusation. Please don't interpret what others are saying according to your imagination or preference. All I want to mention is, let's pay attention to the root cause of the issue as well. Let's understand how this issue becomes out of control. Who's the culprit? To be frank, I have little trust towards the corrupted government. Their disrespectful to procedures and unwillingness to negotiate with the stakeholders just simply show their arrogance of power.

So, my position is that just like every other neighbourhood in the city you have to do your part and house any people in need - no matter who they are
You sound like a tyrant. Basically you are saying that, there is no different opinion allowed when we are talking about this issue. Once the government makes a decision, we have to accept it. You make me feel like I am living in some kind of dictatorial countries.

I can certainly understand some people here wanna to build the modular housing unit asap, so do I. That's why I support the modular housing to be abstinence, and for seniors only. Reason? Just common sense. The demographics near the site is seniors. I am sure you would agree that neighbors with similar age groups can communicate better, right? The seniors have worked hard so many years for Canada and should we be humbled to listen their concerns? I agree that the homeless are vulnerable, but so do the seniors. Should we take a balanced approach in addressing the issue these two groups are facing? We have a motion proposed by Lily, and we are so closed to get the project moving. Should we put aside our differences and work together for the interest of the society?

You sound like a tyrant

May I suggest that name-calling is not a productive exercise. It doesn't persuade anyone of the virtue of your position; it almost certainly does the opposite.

If you don't understand a poster's statement/position, sincerely, just ask a question of clarification.

. Basically you are saying that, there is no different opinion allowed when we are talking about this issue. Once the government makes a decision, we have to accept it. You make me feel like I am living in some kind of dictatorial countries.

That's not what he's saying.

What he's asking is........If you don't want this particular thing, in this particular location, BUT, you accept a responsibility to look after society's needy; where, in your community would you like to locate such a building?

If you are saying you're fine w/the current site, subject to certain conditions on type of tenants....'fine'.....I think many would disagree w/the fairness of that........and we can come back to that.......but what's really being said here
Is that people don't believe that the position of the neighbourhood is actually favourable to housing on this site, period.

But to come back to that issue of 'who' can be located in the housing..........

Listen, most people here are actually sympathetic to the notion that a large harm-reduction site full of addicts could be problematic for the community. Many wouldn't say that out loud, but few would want that type of facility as their neighbour
Though, it does have to go somewhere.

But no one is proposing such a facility here. The suggestion on abstinence is problematic. Are you neighbours all abstaining from alcohol? Not one wine or beer drinker in the bunch, never mind weed?

Nah, you know its not so, so why impose on the very poor that which you would not impose on yourself or your neighbours? I get that there is a concern and a need for balance. But abstinence in an extreme ask.

I can certainly understand some people here wanna to build the modular housing unit asap, so do I. That's why I support the modular housing to be abstinence, and for seniors only.

Partly, see my answer above; then lets ask; in what neighbourhood would you like to situate everyone who drinks at all, ever, or does drugs, soft or hard; and in what neighbourhood would you like to place working age adults who are needy?

How do you think that area will feel that they should bear the responsibility that you will not? If every neighbourhood says no, where do these people go?

Reason? Just common sense. The demographics near the site is seniors. I am sure you would agree that neighbors with similar age groups can communicate better, right?

I'm not really sure that's 'common sense' at all. In fact there are specific program in seniors home to have teenagers volunteer to meet with and support seniors in their community, because it engenders respect and understanding
from the former, for the latter and vice versa; and because the energy of the young can lift the spirits of the old.

The seniors have worked hard so many years for Canada and should we be humbled to listen their concerns?

Listening to concerns is a fair ask; however, that does not mean adopting their views un-critically. Seniors of earlier generations (if you go back far enough) thought the world was flat.....young people knew better. Seniors later thought that women should be the property of men; young people knew better. It turns out being old doesn't make you right. Certainly, concerns should be heard and looked at fairly, but not blindly followed.

I agree that the homeless are vulnerable, but so do the seniors. Should we take a balanced approach in addressing the issue these two groups are facing? We have a motion proposed by Lily, and we are so closed to get the project moving. Should we put aside our differences and work together for the interest of the society?

Yes to all of the above. The distinction(s) here are two-fold.

1) Your particular position is something people may take issue with at the level of the details, and whether those are fair, and reasonable.

2) People have asked you about the position of the community as a whole; not your personal position, and asked does it really seem to you like the community wants to do its part?

One of the motions here, the first motion, is clearly to not build the housing here at all. The second motion, which is closer to your position, but not identical, is a fall-back position.

Many here are questioning the sincerity of that, given the first motion. They are asking, we need a place for working-age adults, who are currently homeless to live. Some of them, ought to be able to live in your community.

If you don't want them to live beside the seniors, so be it; but can you identify an alternative location close by, that would be better.

That does not seem like an unreasonable ask to me.

Last edited:
May I suggest that name-calling is not a productive exercise. It doesn't persuade anyone of the virtue of your position; it almost certainly does the opposite.

If you don't understand a poster's statement/position, sincerely, just ask a question of clarification.
Of course. I can certainly ask for clarification, but I am not sure if you realize, how hostile some people on this forum are, when there are different opinions? How come I never saw you saying the same to others, asking them come to me for clarification when they didn't understand my position/statement? I appreciate you standing up for fairness, but should you be doing it for both sides?

But no one is proposing such a facility here. The suggestion on abstinence is problematic. Are you neighbours all abstaining from alcohol? Not one wine or beer drinker in the bunch, never mind weed?

Nah, you know its not so, so why impose on the very poor that which you would not impose on yourself or your neighbours? I get that there is a concern and a need for balance. But abstinence in an extreme ask.

I think what people referring as abstinence is those hard drugs such as Fentanyl, cocaine, etc that are illegal for possession. I would be very surprised if it includes wine or beer.

I am pretty sure that, my neighbors don't take the hard drugs that are illegal by law for possession. So I don't get why it's an extreme ask to have the site to be abstinence according to our definition.

Listen, most people here are actually sympathetic to the notion that a large harm-reduction site full of addicts could be problematic for the community. Many wouldn't say that out loud, but few would want that type of facility as their neighbour
Though, it does have to go somewhere.
I am glad that you bring this up. The thing is, some people don't even think the harm reduction site alone is the right solution or sufficient to help the people getting out of drug addiction. Look at the recent situation in Vancouver and BC.

Well, if it has to go somewhere, where are the supporting measures? Essentially, the community is not convinced that the city had done their due diligence to address the community's concern. They feel that when something happens, they are on their own. At the end of the day, it's a trust problem. As mentioned by a few posts here, the approach the city staff is taking to implement this project is sneaky, lack of transparency, disrespectful of procedures and shows arrogance of power. I am sure you don't agree, but it's okay, as I always respect the differences.

How do you think that area will feel that they should bear the responsibility that you will not? If every neighbourhood says no, where do these people go?
You are bringing up a hypothetical question. I noticed that you are a very rational person, but keep in mind that, it's a very complex political issue and when we are communicating to the public, being rational alone is not enough. You need to make them feel respected and comfortable. If the government could show their due diligence with supporting measures and demonstrated to the public by successful examples, I am pretty sure it will be much easier to push these projects to the communities.

In fact there are specific program in seniors home to have teenagers volunteer to meet with and support seniors in their community, because it engenders respect and understanding
from the former, for the latter and vice versa; and because the energy of the young can lift the spirits of the old.
I can only partially agree with this, because I could also say, seniors could have generation gaps with the youth, as their mindsets and values could be very different. Instead, people with similar age groups tend to have similar experience, and could communicate better. I think it just depends on the personalities of the specific seniors.

Listening to concerns is a fair ask; however, that does not mean adopting their views un-critically.
But the problem is, as mentioned in Lily's motion, the seniors were never consulted in an accessible way. Due to the pandemic, consultations were held online which most seniors were not able to attend. Further, a majority of the seniors are not native English speakers and require language assistance in Mandarin, Farsi and Russian. This never happened.

Seniors later thought that women should be the property of men; young people knew better. It turns out being old doesn't make you right
I am not sure if it's a valid statement by saying "Seniors later thought that women should be the property of men". I tend to think it's more related to the culture rather than the age. Nevertheless, I got your point. I never said seniors are always right. I just pointed out that seniors are also vulnerable. Due to this nature, special consideration given to the site is reasonable, from my perspective.

1) Your particular position is something people may take issue with at the level of the details, and whether those are fair, and reasonable.
Good. If you agree with the overall direction, that's a big step forward. Let's work with community to make sure the details are fair for everyone.

2) People have asked you about the position of the community as a whole; not your personal position, and asked does it really seem to you like the community wants to do its part?
That's something I feel very strange about. I never expressed that I am representing any community or association. What I mentioned in the posts is just my personal opinion. If they want to know the position of the community as a whole, please talk to Lily, as she's the city councilor of the neighborhood. From my perspective, I support the reconfiguration motion, period.

Last edited:
All I want to mention is, let's pay attention to the root cause of the issue as well. Let's understand how this issue becomes out of control. Who's the culprit? To be frank, I have little trust towards the corrupted government.
Quite seriously, you and I disagree on the root cause. You point to government corruption and waste being the root cause of the housing crisis, while I point to (among others) the financialization of housing, and countless choices millions of Canadians have made in who they vote for and the policies they support.
You sound like a tyrant. Basically you are saying that, there is no different opinion allowed when we are talking about this issue. Once the government makes a decision, we have to accept it. You make me feel like I am living in some kind of dictatorial countries.
I stated a position - quite clearly, my position. A position is not a diktat.

I’m interpreting your position as one that’s deeply grounded in unfairness: the community you’re part of will only support housing for the most ‘choice’ part of the homeless, leaving it to another community in the city to shoulder more problematic populations. This is a big reason why I don’t view Lily Cheng’s motion as a compromise. A compromise is moving this population to another location around that area that she has identified as suitable, and is ready to build now.

Allowing this Councillor and community to pick and choose those they want to house opens the doors to every community doing the same, and knocking the most troubled portion onto the streets or shoving them all in one area. That’s what I see as the logical conclusion of your argument.

Last edited:
You point to government corruption and waste being the root cause of the housing crisis, while I point to (among others) the financialization of housing, and countless choices millions of Canadians have made in who they vote for and the policies they support.
My friend, I pointed out clearly, the root cause of the issue is the bad policies, mismanagement, bureaucracy and the waste by the government causing the housing issue to be out of control and I gave examples to illustrate it. You are referring to "financialization of housing" and essentially Canadians vote for the policies they support?

It's a very interesting argument. If I interpret correctly, financialization is a term used to describe how housing is treated as a commodity for wealth and investment. I guess you are saying housing should not be used for sell/buy in capital markets? Please clarify if it's your standpoint.

Canadians vote for the policies they support - To be frank, I am not sure what you mean. Please elaborate. I thought it's fundamental for democracy, that people vote for the parties with policies they support??

Back