Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

Oh note for those Amazon towers in Seattle, that area has a fairly similar feel to some SoCo areas on a slow day. Newer buildings with no real "life" there yet. That said last two times I was there there was still much work to be done! Highly recommend seeing the domes, those pictures don't do the structure justice.

Honestly though, domes aside their HQplex is fairly meh. More urban than most tech HQ, but nothing superlative in terms of architecture.

AoD

Definitely. It's nice but whenever I've driven by I haven't been very captivated. The only HQ's I can think of that wow me were Gehry's MPK20 for Facebook and Fosters Campus 2 for Apple. Heatherwick's Google HQ in London and their HQ 2 in Mountain View should be a treat too!

Oh note for those Amazon towers in Seattle, that area has a fairly similar feel to some SoCo areas on a slow day. Newer buildings with no real "life" there yet. That said last two times I was there there was still much work to be done! Highly recommend seeing the domes, those pictures don't do the structure justice.

What's SoCo?

Oct 27
Hard to get shots these days of the site
24152009868_3ba1b24d02_b.jpg

38003725661_b99c1f640e_b.jpg

38003727551_299d93ee8e_b.jpg

I wonder when the PATH tunnel dig under York Street will start…

Yes, except that it'll get routed via the east wall of the 16 York garage.

tunnelroute.jpg

I think it's worth mentioning — again— that the PATH route through the area is ridiculous, and will not promote long distance usage of PATH. Because after arriving at Maple Leaf Square you'll have to go through Longo's, then up escalators to the main floor, up an escalator to the second floor, then across the bridge to the ACC, then down some stairs (or if you're not stairs-capable, down an elevator which will dump you outside, which you were trying to avoid if you were taking this route in the first place…) then through doors before ending up in the PATH System, Proper™.

If you're going from Ïce or 16 York or even Infinity2 and all you want to go to is Longo's, then the tunnel will be appreciated no end on inclement weather days… but otherwise?

Attachments

• tunnelroute.jpg
    tunnelroute.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 491
Also, does that mean that the connection will only be open while Longo's is open? I hate when they do that. The entire system should be accessible 24/7, and most of it already is. The part through HBC is only open during store hours, I believe, and now there's this Longo's section. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you could go from the Eaton Centre all the way to 16 York.

Yes, except that it'll get routed via the east wall of the 16 York garage.

View attachment 127244

I think it's worth mentioning — again— that the PATH route through the area is ridiculous, and will not promote long distance usage of PATH. Because after arriving at Maple Leaf Square you'll have to go through Longo's, then up escalators to the main floor, up an escalator to the second floor, then across the bridge to the ACC, then down some stairs (or if you're not stairs-capable, down an elevator which will dump you outside, which you were trying to avoid if you were taking this route in the first place…) then through doors before ending up in the PATH System, Proper™.

If you're going from Ïce or 16 York or even Infinity2 and all you want to go to is Longo's, then the tunnel will be appreciated no end on inclement weather days… but otherwise?

Is the at grade section of the PATH in the diagram enclosed?
Also agree that the stairs you mentioned are a bit silly, they are quite steep and there's no escalator.

Back