Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

Back in the early 90s I used to work at Citibank and my office overlooked all of the southcore and man was it a wasteland; how times have changed.

An understatement

tspa_0097973f.jpg

The wasteland picture from 97/98 was a massive change in itself. There was an enormous pit when we went back to back a few years earlier and a railyard a few years before that.

BTW, anyone have a photo of the York Street teamway all exposed just waiting to be demo'd?

Its funny how people focus on how the Gardiner cut off the city from its waterfront - but these pictures really show that it was only maybe 10-20% of the gap.

Toronto was not as built up but it was not an 'armpit'. There was a lot going on and I had a lot of fun. However I remember dreaming about all this area and others being built up and here we are! I really do think it's been quite phenomenal. Now we have the eastern waterfront, the Port lands, the Lever area, etc. Go Toronto Go!!

Toronto was such an armpit back in those days it seems.

Quite the overstatement. This was an industrial for the most part that you basically avoided. The rest of the city was doing just fine.

Quite the overstatement. This was an industrial for the most part that you basically avoided. The rest of the city was doing just fine.
Really? Those thousands of parking lots I remember paint a different story.

I think it’s fair to say it is no longer an armpit- but pictures of Toronto 1970-1990 looked like any midwestern backwater. Things have thankfully changed.

Back